Anyone using protection?

rotti

Recently got back from a week long hunting trip with friends who had brought along one of those $79 Harbor Freight generators. After three days my batteries were only down to 3/4 but I decided to plug in. Watching that little Chinese 2 stroke snort and belch got me thinking about protection....especially for that $1200 Waeco compressor frig.

Everything worked fine, including the generator, but I was curious what others are using for surge/electrical protection?
I seem to recall that there are some electrical wizards here that could lead me to the light.

OMG! :eek:

Rotti,

You plugged your beautiful rig into WHAT? I'm glad it didn't hurt anything.

I'm no electrical wizard but I do know that now days a good geni will have inverter technology for electronic equipment. Like the Honda 2000i, "i" for inverter.

Sounds like you guys need the Camo version. :D EU2000IANF_100x100.jpg

If you are not pumping a lot of amps through the extension cord, you might (might?) be able to use a simple surge protector from Home Depot or any hardware store.

Maybe something like this ...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-203591153/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=%22surge+protector%22&storeId=10051

Or if you want a heavy duty version (30amp RV style), maybe try CampingWorld ...

http://www.campingworld.com/category/surge-protectors/98

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping.

:)

Samo, yeah the more I sat there listening to the HF special howl away the more I got that OMG what have I done feeling. Damn, those Honda generators are expensive, maybe worth it with camo. :) Nice looking Jimmy there.

Mr. Green, I have always been a fan of the double entendre. :rolleyes:

Stan, thanks for the links. It seems like there is the $12 power strip variety or the $80 to $400 RV type.

From the lack of responses it seems that not many here are using surge protectors. Maybe not really an issue to be concerned about? Next time I plug into shore power I'll try one of the power strips I have laying around. The only real draw would be the frig and furnace.

Not many replies because most of us are either using solar or a nice pricey generator like the honda. I wouldn't bother with protection with a honda or yamaha inverter generator.

The other thing is that with a battery or batteries being in the system and not supplying any power you've a reasonable (though far from ideal) surge suppressor built-in.

From the lack of responses it seems that not many here are using surge protectors. Maybe not really an issue to be concerned about? Next time I plug into shore power I'll try one of the power strips I have laying around. The only real draw would be the frig and furnace.

If plugging in a cheap generator or inverter I think I'd worry more about the waveform of that AC than any surges. I doubt most of them have enough guts to produce a serious surge, but wild waveforms, square or whatever, is the mark of the cheap stuff. Your batteries won't care, (though your charge controller might) but the delicate electronics in everything these days might work but very inefficient, or not work but not be be damaged, or just plain die (immediately or later). It's a risk.

The clean sine wave stuff costs more, but that's what I try to stick with.

Strange surges are not limited to your AC. When motor vehicles start up the 12 volt can have some damaging spikes and such. Generally it cleans up once the engine is running and battery being recharged. Between the truck and my house battery camper system I have a voltage sensing relay setup. It's primarily there to keep from draining the start battery when stopped, but the small delay until it joins the batteries for charging is enough to provide a lot of safety for the electronics.

The available designs for multi battery, multi charging systems has been evolving rapidly. I put a current state of the art dual battery system into the small outboard boat we got for photography last year. Both batteries maintained by either plugging into 110 or the outboard. What I put in works fine, but is also obsolete with better stuff this year. The Eagle is going to be more complicated than that, limited primarily by how complex is necessary rather than how much is possible.

If I remember Back to the Future correctly it is only a lightening strike that can generate giga watts of surge.
So I think as long as you are not planning to be struck by lightening your need for surge protectors is greatly reduced.

If I remember Back to the Future correctly it is only a lightening strike that can generate giga watts of surge.
So I think as long as you are not planning to be struck by lightening your need for surge protectors is greatly reduced.

Back to the Future was not real, it was a movie. It takes far less than gigawatts to wipe out modern electronic controls.

One thing about cheap surge protectors, they absorb the surge by slowly burning out a component. Some surge protectors have in their circuits a warning light when the component is fully burned out and others don't. If it's burned out you have no surge protection.

Back
Top Bottom