ATC Manx

MANXMAN

Took the long drive down to ATC and placed an order for a custom flatbed camper shell for my Tacoma. After many sketches of floor plans I built a full size mock-up of the one that suited my wife and I the best. The design only needed a few minor changes and we were ready to go ahead with it.

Dealing with Jeff at ATC has been great. Phone calls, e-mails and the visit to ATC's shop went well. After a couple of hours going over all the things we wanted incorporated into the shell, we left the shop with complete confidence our camper will be built with care and to the very high standards they are known for.

With a completion date of approximately Sept 1st, I have plenty of time to upgrade the suspension and tires on the truck and to get the flat deck fabricated. Once the shell is home, I will put it in my shop and enjoy doing the interior build during the winter.

After 30 plus years of exploring the western states and provinces on back packing trips, canoe trips and on dual sport motorcycles, the camper is going to be quite a change. We are really looking forward to 2015 with the truck and camper combination and will share some of our trips here on WTW.

Seeing as ATC calls its campers cat names, we have decided to call this one the "Manx" which seems only fitting for a Manxman. :)

MANXMAN said:
................................... we left the shop with complete confidence our camper will be built with care and to the very high standards they are known for.
Congrats on your new camper! Looking forward to pictures and reports! :)

Welcome to WTW Manxman. Congrats on your purchase. Flatbeds are becoming more popular but haven't seen many yet so really looking forward to seeing how yours comes together.

ski3pin said:
Congrats on your new camper! Looking forward to pictures and reports! :)
Ted said:
Welcome to WTW Manxman. Congrats on your purchase. Flatbeds are becoming more popular but haven't seen many yet so really looking forward to seeing how yours comes together.
x2 on these comments! :)

Thanks for the welcome.

Ever since I saw the flat deck truck campers in Australia, I wanted one. It is more work to get the truck ready but in the end, I believe it will be worth it for me.

Here is a couple pictures of the mock-up. It has a rear door entry and the lay out is very much like a conventional truck camper.

Looking at it from the front.
http://manxman.smugmug.com/photos/i-hPFdkv9/0/M/i-hPFdkv9-M.jpg

Looking from the rear.
http://manxman.smugmug.com/photos/i-sNnj5gH/0/M/i-sNnj5gH-M.jpg

You sure are putting a lot of great thought into your build.
Can't wait to see the finished camper.
Knowing Marty and crew are building the shell I know you will get a great platform to start work from.
Oh,welcome to the "cult"
Frank

Got word that my camper build starts today so it will be finished for our requested pick up date of Sept. 2nd.

The guys at ATC are certainly true to their word.

If anyone happens to be at ATC in the next three weeks, let me know how it's looking. Or better yet, maybe a picture or two. :D

MANXMAN said:
Took the long drive down to ATC and placed an order for a custom flatbed camper shell for my Tacoma. After many sketches of floor plans I built a full size mock-up of the one that suited my wife and I the best. The design only needed a few minor changes and we were ready to go ahead with it.

Dealing with Jeff at ATC has been great. Phone calls, e-mails and the visit to ATC's shop went well. After a couple of hours going over all the things we wanted incorporated into the shell, we left the shop with complete confidence our camper will be built with care and to the very high standards they are known for.

With a completion date of approximately Sept 1st, I have plenty of time to upgrade the suspension and tires on the truck and to get the flat deck fabricated. Once the shell is home, I will put it in my shop and enjoy doing the interior build during the winter.

After 30 plus years of exploring the western states and provinces on back packing trips, canoe trips and on dual sport motorcycles, the camper is going to be quite a change. We are really looking forward to 2015 with the truck and camper combination and will share some of our trips here on WTW.

Seeing as ATC calls its campers cat names, we have decided to call this one the "Manx" which seems only fitting for a Manxman. :)
I'm intrigued with a flatbed design and ATC has done good work in this area. I'm looking forward to your build thread and finished product.

Manxman, Stopped by ATC today and saw your camper under construction. Jeff was working on it and it's looking good. Didn't have a camera with me or would have taken a picture. I get by almost weekly, so next time I'll try to remember to bring a camera.

Just a little sarcasm.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

K6ON said:
Manxman, Stopped by ATC today and saw your camper under construction. Jeff was working on it and it's looking good. Didn't have a camera with me or would have taken a picture. I get by almost weekly, so next time I'll try to remember to bring a camera.
Thanks for the news. Sure looking forward to seeing how things are developing.

It would be great to see some pictures the next time you drop in at ATC. Hoping to see a few pictures from Jeff soon.

Two weeks until I pick it up!

Looks great! I might have to take a look at this.........................................................................

billharr said:
Keep them pictures coming.
Jeff kindly sent a few more pictures.

It will be finished by Friday so taking the long drive back down to Sacramento on Sunday and will have it tucked into my shop on Wednesday where it will stay for the winter while the interior gets built.

i-wKrdq3m-L.jpg

i-LVVZLP7-L.jpg

i-BtzLkBT-L.jpg

i-B522TV9-L.jpg

ski3pin said:
Looks great! I might have to take a look at this.........................................................................
I bet the guys at ATC are still chuckling............................not one but two WTW members show up at the shop this morning with cameras.

gallery_1902_252_107348.jpg

gallery_1902_252_27575.jpg

gallery_1902_252_13642.jpg

gallery_1902_252_105130.jpg

gallery_1902_252_75048.jpg

gallery_1902_252_12444.jpg

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Looking pretty good. Anxious to see your work start.
Thanks for sharing.
Frank
Many of us are looking forward to seeing how your new camper comes together! :)

The flatbed approach makes a lot of sense. Have you had the bed fabricated yet? Curious to see some pics of that too.

Back
Top Bottom