ATC Manx

takesiteasy said:
The flatbed approach makes a lot of sense. Have you had the bed fabricated yet? Curious to see some pics of that too.
The deck was supposed to be ready for my trip to Sacramento to pick up the camper but it wasn't so I had to modify my little flat deck trailer to haul the camper back.

Seeing as I don't need the deck now until spring, I told the fabricator not to sweat about and just get it ready when he can. It is likely another month out he says. When it is finally ready I will take some pictures and post them.

It's probably for the best as while I was waiting for the deck to be built, I reluctantly decided to not mount the camper on the Tacoma after all and bought a half ton instead. With only a 1200 lb payload capacity the Tacoma would be over that with just the camper and the two of us. By the time we put our stuff in it for our trips it would be way over GVW plus I have decided I might like to tow a small aluminum trailer with my motorcycle on it sometimes. Just too much for the Tacoma I believe.

Did I miss something? One of Ski3pin's photos looks like ATC is now using a one piece roof, but of the same aluminum as the siding with a pattern stamped into it?

Ted said:
Did I miss something? One of Ski3pin's photos looks like ATC is now using a one piece roof, but of the same aluminum as the siding with a pattern stamped into it?
Ted, it is a one piece roof with a machine pressed seam down the middle. It is thick material, with ridges and valleys for strength, and a textured surface. The sheet material is expensive to buy this way but the ATC guys believe it to be the best choice for up top.

So nice having build pics. I wish I'd have driven out to Woodland a few times to take pics of my build. Sadly I don't recall anyone mentioning it back then. I have a bunch of days off, I'd go see the guys at ATC buts its not safe being so close to Fry's.

with ridges and valleys for strength, and a textured surface
I believe this is key in the problem I had with the smooth roof on my camper. The smooth aluminum looks nice but does not have the rigidity of the textured aluminum.

Sorry for the hijack. Congrats on your new camper Manxman.

Stopped by ATC this morning just in time to see the "MANX" being loaded on a flat-bed trailer. The truck flat-bed wasn't completed in time, so the MANX had to be towed home to British Columbia on the trailer. Watch for interior build pictures this winter from the Great White North :)

img_103800_1_9eb1466c0105e09987c6938202276ced.jpg

img_103800_3_57d08935fdf9d6548e951b6fe504c7d4.jpg

img_103800_5_803ab447e78300c47b785e436c11eb1a.jpg

img_103800_7_4db08b32326e14dd208de35386c8c44e.jpg

Manxman,

Congrats on the camper and I look forward to your interior build! :) Just curious why you decided to go with the door on the rear instead of the side like other flatbed campers.

Cheers

super doody said:
Manxman,

Congrats on the camper and I look forward to your interior build! :) Just curious why you decided to go with the door on the rear instead of the side like other flatbed campers.

Cheers
I did many sketches of floor plans and my wife and I kept coming back to the side dinette layout as the type we preferred which meant the camper would have to have a rear door. After building a full scale mock up of our favourite layout and sitting in it, we were convinced that was the way to go.

Pictures of the completed camper at the time of pick up from ATC.
Photos by K6ON
i-jFcHN6n-L.jpg
i-G9nc59x-L.jpg
i-TLhmgk8-L.jpg

i-7G9QtT7-L.jpg

Living in Canada means I have to buy most of the things I need for my camper build in the US due to high cost of things here and poor availability. The trick is to have a place for the American RV supply stores to ship to in the US and then go pick it up.

i-brqs8MC-L.jpg

My son recently moved to Jackson Hole Wyoming so I had some things shipped to him because we were going down to see him anyways and the parts could travel home free with us. No shipping, taxes or duties at the border is another big perk.

While we were there he took us wandering around. As an avid outdoorsman, he is very lucky to be able to live in such a beautiful place while also being able to follow his passion for science.

We can't wait to go back and see more of his new back yard. In the mean time, it's getting closer to the start of the interior build of the camper just as soon as I take one more month to play.

A few pictures from our time there.

i-nxxn9jX-L.jpg

i-3RzQXCN-L.jpg

i-fqrzxqZ-L.jpg

i-CSWZrpg-L.jpg

i-k98PwGG-L.jpg

i-qghtjBx-L.jpg

i-2V4j22r-L.jpg

It's finally time to go out to the shop and get to work on the camper.

i-HpPSrwT-L.jpg

Put some tape down to represent the layout of the cabinets and seat boxes. Looks like things will fit ok.
i-r3kPqqH-L.jpg

Took the wall panelling out on the left side to find the wall stud locations for attaching the cabinets.
Fitted the propane box into place.

i-b2kSKVw-L.jpg

Going to start building the cabinets next...

It's really nice to see your build as it moves along.
I think you will like the side dinette.IMO

We have a side dinette also_Ours was one of the first ATC made.
We really like it. For us it's just the right fit.
Not so for everyone though.

Have fun with the build.
Keep us posted.
Frank

Looking good, did you order the standard shell model or did you add a few things?

Vento said:
Looking good, did you order the standard shell model or did you add a few things?
The great thing about ATC is nothing is standard. :)

They built the shell to my requested dimensions and framed the walls to allow things like the battery and propane doors, furnace, fridge vents, window locations, water inlet and drain, etc. to be exactly where I wanted them.

The only option I had them install was the Fantastic Fan in the roof.

Back
Top Bottom