ATC Ocelot on order !

Rockcod

After what seems like forever, I am in the que for a build and planning now how to outfit this great little unit.I've been reading this forum faithfully most of the year. Been a great help . Now if I can just organize my questions and ask them in the right place, it should go pretty smoothly. First thoughts are to determine what rack for the top and how much solar.

Thanks ahead for any input !

Rock

Rock, very cool!

If you're asking for opinions, I would go with full length Yakima tracks, and at least 150 watts of solar. I suspect that ATC would mount the solar to the tracks if you asked. You'll need to buy your landing pads, towers, bars and accessories from another source (unless the guys are able to get them now) so you might be working on that ahead of time. If you have an existing Yakima system, you might want to get lock cores with the same key code.

. Yes I am very much looking for opinions . And the full length Yakima is the perfect opinion. Jeff told me they could install one 150 watt panel between the fantastic fan and the forward vent. I also asked for an auxiliary solar plug ,to use a solar in a bag kit, then had no clue as to where to install it. As it stands now, I asked for it near the 110 volt location. 2 batteries perhaps. Pros /cons welcome.Getting my ideas from here allows Marty and Jeff to focus on building :).. I think initially the time will go pretty fast, but the last month of waiting is going to be a challenge. Is this a good forum location to ask for build input ? Might be I'll start a new thread titled accordingly, but for today I'm hearing great stuff. After roof layout I would like to put the AC/DC compressor fridge center and next to cab window and need ideas on how use/configure the original factory location. Fortunately I have a plan for setting up the truck. That took hours upon hours of research here and EPortal and basically the entire www.After all it is but an f150. :) and no OME parts.

With respect to the additional plug, maybe closest to your batteries for the shortest wire run. Remember, if that wiring goes into the onboard solar controller, your portable should either not have a controller, or it should have a way to bypass the controller. FWC typically has them on the back wall.

Yes on two batteries if you're going to have a heavy load and stay in one spot for a longer time.

If you're not 100% sold on a front loading refer, consider a chest style. I believe they're more efficient. If possible, maybe against the front wall, as low as possible. Bulky items or shelves in the factory location.

Regarding whether or not this is a good site for build info, I think it's the best :) , but then I am biased...

Wandering Sagebrush said:
With respect to the additional plug, maybe closest to your batteries for the shortest wire run. Remember, if that wiring goes into the onboard solar controller, your portable should either not have a controller, or it should have a way to bypass the controller. FWC typically has them on the back wall.
Yes on two batteries if you're going to have a heavy load and stay in one spot for a longer time.
If you're not 100% sold on a front loading refer, consider a chest style. I believe they're more efficient. If possible, maybe against the front wall, as low as possible. Bulky items or shelves in the factory location.
Regarding whether or not this is a good site for build info, I think it's the best :) , but then I am biased...
By far this is the best site out there. I have read enough here to feel like I know most everyone to varying degrees. I was just thinking about where to post a variety of questions on the site.

From what Ive read here a chest type fridge is a great way to go,and on the front wall. I did see a members post with this set up, I think a truck fridge or an arb, the 50L version fits perfect in the Ocelot.? And one of them opens lengthwise. Just need to find it. I would be headed southeast right this moment if it were in my drive now, we are getting a good wet weather day, so Im refining my list. I think solar will be the most difficult to assemble though I'm willing to do a lot of it on my own. ATC Installs Rencology panels and controllers. Not sure what batteries. I have only been waiting 3 days and I sure want to get on with it. :)

Hello Rock
We are in our last 30 days, so I can understand your excitement. You have plenty to do to keep occupied so don't worry be happy.
Can't speak from experience but we went with full length Yakima mounting rails and Jeff recommend two batteries and a 150 watt panel also. They are mounting the panel on the rails, so I'm assuming they supply the hardware.
Get a pad or note book or digital log if you prefer and keep a list of thoughts. That's what I'm doing. Also another list of any changes or add ones that you go over with them. Will help everyone. They have been very nice to work with, and make it easy to talk with them.
You are correct as to this site so many people take the time to post up their thoughts or what they have done with their camper. Members comment and ask questions or offer thoughts. Being new to this site, l can say its like having found a good book you can't put down.
Will keep an eye out for you here on WtW.
Russ

Even though I've had my camper for many years now I love seeing new build threads. Sometimes I'll see an idea worth adopting (stealing) for my rig even now. Besides, seeing the excitement while waiting for delivery reminds me of when I was one of those. Its a great journey!

CougarCouple said:
Hello Rock
We are in our last 30 days, so I can understand your excitement. You have plenty to do to keep occupied so don't worry be happy.
Can't speak from experience but we went with full length Yakima mounting rails and Jeff recommend two batteries and a 150 watt panel also. They are mounting the panel on the rails, so I'm assuming they supply the hardware.
Get a pad or note book or digital log if you prefer and keep a list of thoughts. That's what I'm doing. Also another list of any changes or add ones that you go over with them. Will help everyone. They have been very nice to work with, and make it easy to talk with them.
You are correct as to this site so many people take the time to post up their thoughts or what they have done with their camper. Members comment and ask questions or offer thoughts. Being new to this site, l can say its like having found a good book you can't put down.
Will keep an eye out for you here on WtW.
Russ
Your right about plenty to stay occupied. I am happy to hear yours is close. Since they are not to far from me I plan on going up to talk , observe and narrow down some thoughts a couple of times at least.Great to hear the 150 watt panel with 2 batteries is a good approach. Sounds like they mount it directly to the Yakima tracks, ? I think I want to install Yakima towers and 3 bars,sort of a just in case approach. The just in case approach is where I need to be careful, I admit I overthink things a bit. Will you be picking up your camper or have it delivered.? What model are you having built. ? It's nice to learn from others experiences and knowledge.

craig333 said:
Even though I've had my camper for many years now I love seeing new build threads. Sometimes I'll see an idea worth adopting (stealing) for my rig even now. Besides, seeing the excitement while waiting for delivery reminds me of when I was one of those. Its a great journey!
Your very correct, I think my excitement could be viewed from a weather satellite. !!! I have found more fantastic ideas here than I can remember, as I search again, I will take notes.

Congrats! We ordered our Ocelot shell on 11/28, now comes the waiting.... Im curious what options you added, and what width you went with?

Hay Rock
We are getting a Cougar, Jeff recommended the two Batts with a 150 w panel. At first the panel was going straight to the roof. I changed to the Yakima tracks so that in the future if the panel should fail and the new one mounting holes were different did not have a new set of holes to plug. Don't plan on putting stuff on the roof my self but if the rails are there we have the option. Also we passed on the steps to get on the roof, Jeff said we could mount at a later date. If when you are there and see our cougar under construction feel free to post a photo or two :)
Last I herd was to be around January 16th.

Russ

Blr said:
Congrats! We ordered our Ocelot shell on 11/28, now comes the waiting.... Im curious what options you added, and what width you went with?
My order is for the 78 " version, but Jeff said I could make adjustments , ha, for quite awhile if I chose. I plan to start a different thread with my choice listed ,right now I need to research the forum, again, to narrow down a few things. I really would like to move the reefer to the front center window and use the original space for a bulkier lighter items storage area .. there is a cabinet thread in trucks, truck accessories and mods. that has some good insight, and it's just getting rolling. I have GOT. to learn how to copy links to my posts. The soft side modular storage bags look great for new refer storage area. Have you finalised your build yet ?

ski3pin said:
Congrats on your camper order! :)
Thanks for that, your blog and others others have played a role in my purchase decisions. And now they play a role in the tick rock of the waiting clock. :). I love the photography and destinations.

CougarCouple said:
Hay Rock
We are getting a Cougar, Jeff recommended the two Batts with a 150 w panel. At first the panel was going straight to the roof. I changed to the Yakima tracks so that in the future if the panel should fail and the new one mounting holes were different did not have a new set of holes to plug. Don't plan on putting stuff on the roof my self but if the rails are there we have the option. Also we passed on the steps to get on the roof, Jeff said we could mount at a later date. If when you are there and see our cougar under construction feel free to post a photo or two :)
Last I herd was to be around January 16th.
Russ
I will definitely post pics if I get up there as it's in the build area. I am headed to North of Phoenix near that time and might detour through Sac. just to look in. So far the only thing I am pretty set on is a 2 battery system with the 150 watt panel, with full Yakima tracks,sounds good and I know nothing otherwise. Oh I'm adding a solar plug so I can use aux panel & park in shaded areas. I really like the Panther's size, but I have a 1/2 ton f150 and I'm ok thinking small/nimble/ narrow. Rather ocelot like. I made a cardboard mock up last summer,comparing the 78 vs the 84, just taped to the cab window, not full size !! 78 looked good and allowed full rear view down the side.

I think we are pretty set on build options except kicking around having atc build out some cabinets and countertop for us.
We went with 78" wide model also. Fridge, fantastic fan, small rear window, aux battery, 12v plug, bed slide out( i am 6"2' & Marty reccomended it), wired for solar(have 2x100w renogy panels and controller ready to go), yakima tracks, and furnace.

Back
Top Bottom