Atwood Furnace Noise

super doody

I'm still planning out my order for a hawk. Because I'm planning to camp frequently with my 1 yr old daughter, the most important option to me is the furnace. On a recent discussion, it seems like even with the new atwood furnace (http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/furnaces/MPD%2032072%20SP%201.08.pdf) there is still some noticeable noise enough that some people don't let it run at night (only warming up the camper in the mornings and before bed) and electrical load is still an issue.

To all with the newer style 7900-II / 8000-II series furnace ,how bad is the noise and is it realistic to have the furnace on at night set at 55 degrees without disturbing a sleeping baby? I'd say my daughter moderate sound level wise sleeper.

Thanks,

Jim

I have run the furnace in my new (picked up just before Thanksgiving) Eagle all night every time I have camped so far (5 or 6 nights) and I am a light sleeper. The first night it woke me up once but mainly because it was a different noise than I am used to. I left the hot water heater on a couple of times and it makes more noise when it cycles.

A bigger issue is being directly across from the furnace. I have the side dinette and the rear seat gets warm when the furnace is blowing, so I'd say it depends more on where your daughter sleeps than anything.

When we first got the camper, we let in run at night the first couple of times out and the noise didn't bother us. My wife is a light sleeper and like Charlie said, at first it's a new noise. Having said that, we've chosen not to run it at night, just initially in the evening and first thing in the morning. Last week it was 8 degrees on NYE where we were camped other nights were in the 20's and all were cozy in sleeping bags. My son is 6 1/2 now. When he was younger my wife would put him in a snow suit at night. He's been camping since he was 8 weeks old.

We haven't slept with it on all night. It was 32 one morning in Great Smoky Mountain National Park. I turned it on in the morning and things warmed up quickly. We also turned it on before we went to bed. We didn't think the noise was that bad. We have the front dinette and the furnace vent is near the rear. The porta potti is right there during the night and it can get pretty toasty if the furnace is on. Hope that helps.

I thought there was a new III series but from looking on the website I'm wrong. We have the 7916-II which is a 16K btu (input) model. I imagine the 12K btu model might be a bit quieter. Its the blow fan that is the noise maker and the 8012-II model draws half as much current so it may be considerably more quiet. I sleep with ear plugs and don't even hear it either way. The girlfriend uses plugs too but has a real problem with the noise. She has control of the thermostat at night and only turns it on to use the porta potti. She turns it on and then waits for it to be nice and warm before she gets out of her sleeping bag.

There are ducted on non-ducted versions of this heater. Ours is ducted and I have no idea of the noise difference between the two types.

I have a 2014 Hawk and the furnace is super quiet compared to the furnace I had in my 2004 Outback trailer. Sometimes I notice it click on but it's not startling at all. More soothing white noise instead of the hair dryer noise of my old one.

One thing that hasn't been brought up is emergency use. I thought about that when I was afraid my dog might fall through the ice. Grabbing my emergency wool blanket and firing up the heater might be the difference between life and death (I might be exaggerating but at least great discomfort). Also since I live where it doesn't freeze and keep water in 365 its nice to know it won't freeze.

Back
Top Bottom