Atwood hot water system

Bill D

Can somebody please explain how to get the hot water system working. I bought the 2013 Hawj used. It appears the previous owner drained the hot water tank. I don't think antifreeze was added. I want to put it back into use.

I turned on the water pump and the cold is working just fine. I turn on the hot water tap and it burps and gurgles and it appears some water is going through the hot water tap, but not much. The gas kicks in. The red indicator light on the control panel turns on, but then the light goes out in 5 or 10 seconds, but the gas is still on (heating the system).

I don't want to risk burning out the pump or risk heating an empty system. Do I need to do anything more than turn on the water pump and be patient?

Turn off the water heater switch and run the hot water until a solid flow of water comes from the hot water faucet in the sink. The tank holds about 6 gallons and that takes about 10 minutes to fill unless you supply city water to the camper. Once the HW tank is filled with the city water, it remains full for use from the internal camper water tank.

Once you are sure the hot water tank is filled, turn the heater back on. The heater tries twice in 30 seconds to light the gas then turns off. You must power cycle the hot water heater to get it to try again. Don't know how the heater controls work with an empty or partially filled HW tank.

BTW, when doing this be sure to remove the sink drain cap from outside of the camper. Don't ask me how I know this is useful. :)

Paul

In my Hawk, there are two valves near the water pump. One drains the HW. They need to be in the correct positions. I usually use trial and error on the valves. You should be able to turn the pump on, open the hot water faucet and feel air coming out, which means the HW tank is filling with water from the main water tank. Once the HW tank is full, water will start coming out of the faucet and you can turn the HW heater on. Maybe someone else knows the proper position of the valves. I think the older campers did not have the two valves.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Excellent point, Steve.
Manual for 2012-2014 camper here.

Pages beginning on page 8 discuss water system. Valve setting photo on page 11 should answer your questions.

Paul

Thanks, I will get the tank filled up tomorrow. I'll use city water to get the tank full and all the air out of the system. Makes sense as it's easier on the pump and then I'll try firing up the hot water heater.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the link to the manual. I did read it, but it's rather vague.

I got the hot water online. Using city water to fill the tank while running the hot water worked very well for purging the system of air.
I fired up the hot water and 10-15 minutes later I had nice and hot water. The GF is going to love it.

We will be heading out to Jasper, AB this weekend.

Just a quick note on water heaters in general. If there is sulphur in the water, you can get some really stinky, rotten eggs smell if you let the water stay in the heater. I mean, really nasty stinky. I now drain the Airstream water heater after each trip.

I also put a switch guard over the WH switch so that it isn't turned on by accident. In the Airstream, the WH switch is beside the switch for the bathroom light.

I learned along time ago ..... Keep the GF happy .... And everyone is happy. You may want to consider a 12v electric blanket to warm up the bunk. My GF always complains that the bed it is cold.

.... And check out the Beaver Boardwalk in the town of Hinton it's a really cool walk.

Bill...

Something to consider, if it has been a while or you may not even know the last time the water tanks were filled (prior to you filling them), I would sanitize the water tanks per FWC's owner manual.

Bill

Advmoto18 said:
Bill...

Something to consider, if it has been a while or you may not even know the last time the water tanks were filled (prior to you filling them), I would sanitize the water tanks per FWC's owner manual.

Bill
Thanks. I will be doing that this evening. I sanitized the cold water system, but not the hot (which in my opinion is even more important to do).

Back
Top Bottom