Auxiliary Battery wiring help needed.

Jordan

I recently purchased an ATC Cougar and it is setup with a auxiliary battery. I would like to determine the best way to: 1. Hook it up to my truck. What wiring kit can I purchase to plug into this connector? 2. Best solution for charging via a portable solar panel.

Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Attachments

• image1(2).JPG
    image1(2).JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 79
Give ATC a call. They're pretty helpful.

There are a number of portable solar packages out there. I have a Zamp 80 watt. Renogy is another that has received good marks. Put a plug on the exterior so you can avoid running the leads through the door.

The plug is a Marinco trolling motor plug. You can purchase the female socket at a marine shop.
Dsrtrat

2 important items to consider. 1.) Your charge controller should be as close as reasonably possible to your battery. 2.) I suggest using an absolute minimum 10 gauge wire (8 gauge would be better) to go from your panel to your controller, and your battery. You should have 15-25 feet of wire for a portable solar solution so you have enough to allow placement away from shade. I would go with 25 feet of 8 gauge and put my controller within 4-5 feet of my battery bank. That should ensure you get the most from your panels to your controller and on to the battery :) My 2 cents :)

If you want to charge from the truck as well you'll need an isolator so that you're not also drawing from the truck's battery when using the camper. There are many options to do this, ranging from a simple solenoid triggered by the ignition to Voltage Sensing Relays / Automatic Charge Relays to combined units like the C-Tek Dual 250S which does both isolation and solar charge control in one unit. I've linked to amazon for convenience only, they may not not be the best purchasing option - dunno.

The better solar charge controllers use a 4 step charging method. In the case of the 250S it does this with both the solar and the alternator inputs.

Also, we've covered a LOT of various ways to set up these systems on this forum. Finding those discussions will very likely answer questions that you didn't know you had and give you more firm ideas about how you want the system to work.

Back
Top Bottom