Avoiding Hail Damage - Advice?

h2opup

Advanced Member
I am wondering if anyone uses a physical means of protecting their campers (and trucks) during hail storms. I live in coastal Oregon, so not a big problem here, however it seems like large, damaging hail storms are not uncommon in MT, CO, TX, and other places where I may be wandering soon...

During a visit to Austin earlier this year, I heard about people there putting inflatable cushions or pads on their cars and trailer/camper roofs during hail storms. [I believe this was true, and not merely Urban Legend - lol].

I'm not seeking a bubble-wrapped life, but several posts here mention camper roofs sustaining hail damage, and I am concerned about possible hail damage to solar panels.

Apart from watching the weather and avoiding the situation as best as is possible, does anyone have a clever solution? Or do folks just buy insurance and leave the rest up to fate?

Thanks in advance.

I was also concerned about hail damage to solar panels................................until I visited many active mountain fire lookouts that also serve as communication sites. Most, now have large banks of solar panels. I've not seen a broken panel on mountain tops so I figure they are pretty darn tough. And I've put them on two camper roofs and drove over 235,000 miles without damage. Knock on wood, of course.

Back
Top Bottom