Here is how to prevent getting locked out of camper

Thanks for this thread -- I removed the wimpy deadbolt in our camper today. I noticed the assembly was loose on the door too. Rattling down washboard can loosen teeth, let alone screws. Good to walk around with a screwdriver from time to time.

We had the opposite problem. We locked the camper overnight using the red door latch, and then couldn't open it to get out! Eventually got it open, and now we ignore the red door latch and only use the deadbolt and key.

mnkeen said:
We had the opposite problem. We locked the camper overnight using the red door latch, and then couldn't open it to get out! Eventually got it open, and now we ignore the red door latch and only use the deadbolt and key.

We removed the red toggle door latch some time ago on our '16 Hawk....there is a thread on this removal somewhere..

Well, I guess I didn't quite do it right when I removed the wimpy lock mechanism. I removed almost all the parts, but for some reason I can't recall, I didn't remove the deadbolt part. Guess what? We were on very bumpy roads the past few days and even broke a turnbuckle. I went to the back door at one stop so I could retrieve our InReach device, and found the door wouldn't unlock. Uh-oh. I assumed it was the regular house-type deadbolt. Having no way in Omak, Washington to get all our food, sleep, stay warm, etc. we decided to hire a locksmith. That cost more than a couple nights in a motel (it was getting late on a Sunday).

He didn't think it was the house-type deadbolt, and after fooling around for 20-30 minutes, managed to open the door. It popped and it sounded bad. It turned out that wimpy deadbolt in the door latch had shifted, blocking the door from opening. That part is now safely removed!

Lessons learned (besides removing ALL the wimpy lock parts): InReach should be on our person. Some food and warm clothing should be in the truck cab. Why am I having to learn all this stuff after nearly 500 nights in our camper?

Is there a better quality lock, such as the following, that doesn’t have these problems?

Well, I guess I didn't quite do it right when I removed the wimpy lock mechanism. I removed almost all the parts, but for some reason I can't recall, I didn't remove the deadbolt part. Guess what? We were on very bumpy roads the past few days and even broke a turnbuckle. I went to the back door at one stop so I could retrieve our InReach device, and found the door wouldn't unlock. Uh-oh. I assumed it was the regular house-type deadbolt. Having no way in Omak, Washington to get all our food, sleep, stay warm, etc. we decided to hire a locksmith. That cost more than a couple nights in a motel (it was getting late on a Sunday).

He didn't think it was the house-type deadbolt, and after fooling around for 20-30 minutes, managed to open the door. It popped and it sounded bad. It turned out that wimpy deadbolt in the door latch had shifted, blocking the door from opening. That part is now safely removed!

Lessons learned (besides removing ALL the wimpy lock parts): InReach should be on our person. Some food and warm clothing should be in the truck cab. Why am I having to learn all this stuff after nearly 500 nights in our camper?
Can you describe or show a picture of the 'deadbolt' fix? How removed and replaced with what?

Thanks...

<snip> Why am I having to learn all this stuff after nearly 500 nights in our camper?
To answer your question, there are three kinds of boys…

Boy #1 learns by reading about the topic.
Boy #2 learns by observing others.
Boy #3 (like me) has to p** on the electric fence for himself.

We learn by our mistakes. I have so much to learn.

Back
Top Bottom