BBQ for camper - with a poll!

Charcoal or propane?

• Total voters
I use the Coleman Fold n Go Grille. Compact and good high output regulator. Good for four persons.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000001494

David H
Mill Valley
06 Hawk

How well does this one work? It looks to be very handy and the griddle option would be useful.
However, the few reviews I found made it sound like it doesn't put out a lot of heat.
Can you cook up a bunch of chicken breasts easily? How about a turkey breast?

Thanks-

Another Son of Hibachi user here. Had it 3 years.

Pros:

Heavy, last a lifetime
Small, fits in tight places
Taste, head and shoulders above gas
The "snuff out bag" is super!!!

Cons:

No cover but adding Jack Daniels smoke pellets works well
I've never got the "chimney light feature" to work. I am always by myself so I just use half the BBQ and light it the old fashion way with lighter fluid. I don't like the match light briquettes, tastes funny!!!

Bottom line: Very happy, would buy another

I bought a cheepo "Char-Broil" propane Weber knock off in Moab for 6 bucks. It works ok, takes a while to get steak searing hot, but for roasting veggies and burgers it is great. Also works good with the griddle on top for bacon and eggs. Only real downside is grease drips from flavor tray, into the innards of the BBQ. I mostly carry the BBQ on top of the Eagle on the racks. With the heat and the wind, the grease eventually makes its way to the roof of the camper.
Definitely not good for camping in bear country. :oops:

Am considering Napoleon Q or O-Grill as they fold flat.

I voted for gas for simplicity sake.

Only real downside is grease drips from flavor tray, into the innards of the BBQ. I mostly carry the BBQ on top of the Eagle on the racks. With the heat and the wind, the grease eventually makes its way to the roof of the camper.

That is a downside for sure. Not much you can do to avoid the drippings. I guess you could store it in a bag or something to keep it off the camper? Does sound like bear bait though.

On another note, moving to Victoria in August. See you around town no doubt.

Only real downside is grease drips from flavor tray, into the innards of the BBQ. I mostly carry the BBQ on top of the Eagle on the racks. With the heat and the wind, the grease eventually makes its way to the roof of the camper.
Definitely not good for camping in bear country. :oops:

The grease-dripping issue reminds me of an experience I had with my Weber "Go Anywhere" gas years ago.
A group of friends met up with me camping, and one of them grilled Italian sausage links -- the raw kind requiring cooking, enough for all...so there was a lot of grease dripping down into the bottom of my Weber. When I got home and disassembled the q there was so much congealed pork grease pooled into a solid slab in the bottom -- it looked like a grease trap at a diner!
ohmy.gif
So I went to a car-wash and used the hot-soap-pressure-sprayer to clean it out -- It worked! And since I was there I washed the truck, too.
rolleyes.gif

Cool - drop me a line when you get here.

That is a downside for sure. Not much you can do to avoid the drippings. I guess you could store it in a bag or something to keep it off the camper? Does sound like bear bait though.

On another note, moving to Victoria in August. See you around town no doubt.

All this bbq grease talk....hungry now

The grease-dripping issue reminds me of an experience I had with my Weber "Go Anywhere" gas years ago.
A group of friends met up with me camping, and one of them grilled Italian sausage links -- the raw kind requiring cooking, enough for all...so there was a lot of grease dripping down into the bottom of my Weber. When I got home and disassembled the q there was so much congealed pork grease pooled into a solid slab in the bottom -- it looked like a grease trap at a diner!
ohmy.gif
So I went to a car-wash and used the hot-soap-pressure-sprayer to clean it out -- It worked! And since I was there I washed the truck, too.
rolleyes.gif

We've got a Weber-Q but it takes up so much space. I picked up one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NGO358 and have used it once on top of a Partner Steel stove. It worked pretty well but I need some more practice. It takes up very little space and all the pieces can go into the dishwasher when we get home.

We've got a Weber-Q but it takes up so much space. I picked up one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NGO358 and have used it once on top of a Partner Steel stove. It worked pretty well but I need some more practice. It takes up very little space and all the pieces can go into the dishwasher when we get home.

That is a darn neat idea!!! :cool:

We've got a Weber-Q but it takes up so much space. I picked up one of these: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B001NGO358 and have used it once on top of a Partner Steel stove. It worked pretty well but I need some more practice. It takes up very little space and all the pieces can go into the dishwasher when we get home.

This does look like a great idea.
Reading the Amazon reviews, sounds like it would be best only on an outside-the-camper stove (like the Partner you mention) because of the smoke. At $90, not cheap.
sad.gif

Thought I'd add a little to this thread. I also use a Weber "Go Anywhere" gas grill. I'm not a real gas fan but it's easy and it works great for camping. I use my grill on my boat a lot as well and the grease dripping from the bottom, is a real pain. I looked at some stainless grills with drip pans but couldn't justify the cost since I already have a grill. On our maiden voyage the floor got pretty dirty so here is what I came up with...

p1861541900-4.jpg

p1615013676-4.jpg

p1630857713-4.jpg

I made this out of some "junk" I had laying around. I had some more elaborate ideas using plywood but in the end this was simple and cost me nothing other than 5 min of time. It's just a pine board, a weaved strap and a buckle. It's light and simple. I just threw it together while I was working to get the camper squared away to my liking.

Those of you that have the Weber Go Anywhere Grill, can you use the "fatty" propane 16 oz bottles? I looked at the instructions and they mentioned to use only the thinner (under 3" wide plumber type) bottles. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Keep going back and forth between the Go Anywhere and the larger and heavier, but nicer, Weber Q100. After the stories of the grease slicks I may be leaning toward the Q.

Here is the grill I'd really like to get. It stows pretty easy and has a drip pan that is easily cleaned and removed.

Kuuma grills

Rotti - yes you can use thee 1 lb'ers. That's all I use.

I had a Q100 grill and it's great to cook on. It's big and heavy and not sure where you'd store it in the camper or truck. It also has a drip pan but I thought it was kind of a pain and kept losing the foil liner. It didn't bother me too much when the ex decided she needed it more than I did. ;)

Here is the grill I'd really like to get. It stows pretty easy and has a drip pan that is easily cleaned and removed.

Kuuma grills

Thanks for that link.
Looks to be a good solution. Quality, light, stainless steel, compact, yet the price is comparable to the Q.
I'll sniff around and see if I can find some reviews and better prices.
Thanks again.

I have a Weber Q120. Kind of big to carry around but it works great. I keep it in the extended cab of my truck in a big Rubbermaid container.

I carry a Firesense Notebook grill. It collapse to about 1" thick and stores easily in my dinette bench. There's enough grill space to cook anything a family of 3 would need.

http://www.firesense.com/products/charcoal-bbq-grills/item/charcoal-bbq-grills/notebook-charcoal-grill

I'm not sure if it's the same brand but Walmart here in Mac had a similar grill like that firesense notebook grill JHa6av8r posted. $8 was all! I like the concept but don't want to haul the charcoal. If I can find wood and build a fire, I'll grill over that first otherwise the gas comes out.

Rotti - let me know if you find a decent price on that Kuuma. I looked at one at the local outdoor store and thought it was a winner. Very well made. If the burner will stay lit in the wind I'd be all over it. The weber doesn't like much of a breeze at all.

We went with a Magma SS marine bbq. Not the least expensive option, but I like it's simplicity and my wife likes that it will self-clean if you run it at full throttle for a little bit. I added an exterior propane port for both the bbq and our Camp Chef Sport Stove. The whole thing fits nicely in the storage under the dinette nearest to the door.
i-p5xzWs6-M.jpg

Simple bracket that I built to clamp the bbq to. The Magma bracket is designed to clamp onto the 1"OD life rail of a boat. Since I happened to have some of that tubing for some project or other I welded a short piece to a plate and bolted that to the truck's rear bumper. I stuffed a Super Ball into the end hoping to stop it from taking a "core sample" should someone fall on it.

i-CZpp2g6-M.jpg

I use the Magma Wilderness Gas Grill http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-216/magma-wilderness-gas-grill/.

Stores nicely under the Bench Seat in my Hawk (That was important for me) I choose the Magma over the Weber Q only because in was smaller and its shape was more conducive to better storage.

I bought the griddle that goes with it. Griddle is awesome for pancakes, Grill Cheese etc.

The only Con is that I can't seem to get it hot enough to sear steaks like the BBQ at home does.

In hind sight I would have liked to test the Go Any Where grill considering its price and all the great reviews here.

First trip coming up next week - A week of hunting in Saskatchewan ... Can't Wait!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom