BBQ for camper - with a poll!

Charcoal or propane?

• Total voters
Cooking with wood fire...
1001804_497939970275140_439561352_n.jpg

mtlgourmet said:
Hello Jay,

Thank you for the referral! Have you tested either the Stove or BBQ?
I haven't but it looked really cool. We've been using the same Weber Smokey Joe (they last forever) for almost 30 years an still like it but new ideas are intriguing.

I carry a couple of grilling/barbecues/smokers

1. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Stainless-Steel-Smoke-n-Fold/3439771/product.html
it folds down to 4" thick and fits in my drawer along side the Alaskan

2.http://www.cameronsproducts.com/grilling/camerons-tailgator-grill
this one also collapses down to a few inches thick and fits nicely under the seat....briquets needed...in the outside storage bin next to the stairs

and #3. for those larger group camping trips...one which has been posted here before
son of hibachi...I've used it a few times and it is convenient for carrying...but I still have a hard time putting it away hot ...double the grill size of the cameron tailgator

I've been using the charcoal version of the Weber Go Anywhere. I also have a chimney, it generally takes less than 10minutes to have red hot coals using newspaper instead of starter fluid. I only buy lump charcoal, never use briquettes.

307416_630x440.jpg

I have carried a Weber Q120 (great cooker but bulky), their little rectangular model (only one burner tube down the center so uneven heat), have tried charcoal (too many places not allowing fires during dry season) and settled on a Bass Pro high-output two-burner propane stove. I've had issues with connectiong it to the propane tanks but never the little bottles. It has a great carry case (optional, another $20) and packs easily either in the floor of the camper or in the trailer.

On the stove, we use a Lodge griddle pan with the raised ridges. Cook ribeyes, sirloin, pork shoulder steaks, burgers, pork chops, and hot dogs on it. Mega-kudos to the wife who figured out that if we simply wrap the top side in aluminum foil, clean-up is as simple as crumpling up the greasy foil and throwing it out with the other trash.

I can't possibly express how tired I am of smoke-filled campgrounds filled by well-meaning people (and a few strident environmentalist campers) who somehow don't get that wood smoke is a classic form of carcinogenic air pollution.

Ditto all of the above. My BBQ is 25 years old and still cooks great.[/quote]

Charcol with a Smokey joe in a sealed box! Cooking (the days catch?) is a big part of the camping experience for us.. That said, I want to cook over a charcoal fire! With some tasty wood chunks for flavor of course.. Pecan, apple, cherry, alder. Worth the effort IMO
If your cooking a veggie burger I think any heat source would do ok... A fresh broom tail grouper just wants a slow , smokey fire

I use a cheap folding grate and either use charcoal or build a small fire in an aluminum pan. I attach it to the outside of my Fleet using some bolts, aluminum plate, and wing nuts. The setup is pretty new, but so far so good. Cheap and functional.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wander The West mobile app

Attachments

• 1424640905881.jpg
    1424640905881.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 156
We use a stainless steel Cobb BBQ that we got years ago. Not sure if they are still available. Compact, easy to clean, efficient, versatile, and packs in its own bag. Perfect for camping.

Cobb.PremGrill.DP2_m.jpg

Didn't see anyone mention a Volcano Grill

http://www.volcanogrills.com

Uses charcoal, wood, and/or propane. I just got one and haven't had a chance to do anything other than run a handful of briquettes through it to burn off all the assembly oil.

Packs away pretty well (although the propane burner doesn't fit in as well as I would have liked). As with anything these days, looks good on paper, will just have to put it through the paces a few times and see how it does

We have a Weber Traveler grill with both a grill grate and the replacement griddle insert. Works perfectly and very versatile.

I have an Olympian that we have used for about 30 years. I hook it up to a 10 pound tank or a 1 pound if away from the camper. With all the “burn bans” lately I’ve been glad I have it. At home I use a Big Green Egg a lot and do wish I could use a Mini on the road but without dealing with ash, lump charcoal…

I have a Skotti grill.
https://skotti-grill.com/

The best thing about it is that it breaks down to a very slim package and fits between the camper floor pack and the truck bedside. It is a very good use for that little storage space. However., the grilling surface is not very big and it is rather spendy. But it works great for my wife and me.

Back
Top Bottom