Bent roof by leaving one latch on when opening

Norsman

Advanced Member
Super bummed, taco’ed the roof before I realized what was happening. Any suggestions to get this back to functional ?

There are a couple of threads about how to repair this. If I can find links, I will add them to this post.

Edit: try this as a google search.

“site wanderthewest.com bent roof”

It returned several threads.

Edit again: give Stan Kennedy a call. I believe he had a technique that used a wood block at the crease, and pulling down (gently?) from the ends.

If it helps, you're in good company. Done it myself a few times, usually catch my error in time...

Try searching, "oops I goofed" on this board for repair ideas.

I did it on my old corrugated roof, but not as bad. I straightened out where it isn't noticeable with some blocks of wood and careful pressure.

cwdtmmrs said:
I did it on my old corrugated roof, but not as bad. I straightened out where it isn't noticeable with some blocks of wood and careful pressure.
Details? Previous owner did this to my Puma as well. Looking for a "how to" for this procedure!

I pushed the canvas in from the outside, put a block of wood that was cut to size directly under the bend. It was probably 24" long. I put another block of wood above the bend and used C clamps to pull the top straight. Once it was getting close, I started massaging it carefully with flat faced body hammer. Tap and pull. I put several layers of masking tape on the hammer face so I wouldn't hurt the paint too badly.

I've seen Denny @ FWC here in Jackson straighten out a few bent roofs. All he does is put a short 2 x 4, maybe 1.5- 2ft long, on the long edge, and position the board against the canvas with the front edge of the board right underneath the bend. He then brings the roof down so that it sandwiches the board between the roof and the base of the canvas. Then all he does is pull down from the front of the roof. Bends pretty easily.

I can draw a simple picture of what I'm talking about if anyone needs it.

radarcontact said:
I've seen Denny @ FWC here in Jackson straighten out a few bent roofs. All he does is put a short 2 x 4, maybe 1.5- 2ft long, on the long edge, and position the board against the canvas with the front edge of the board right underneath the bend. He then brings the roof down so that it sandwiches the board between the roof and the base of the canvas. Then all he does is pull down from the front of the roof. Bends pretty easily.

I can draw a simple picture of what I'm talking about if anyone needs it.
Pretty much what I did, except that I used 2 pieces of wood and C clamps for more control.

Here's a quick sketch of how I've seen it done:

Bentroof.jpeg

Make sure you put the 2 x 4 on edge, with the leading (front) edge directly under the bent area - which usually is where the buckle is located that you forgot to undo. You want the 2 x 4 flat against the window canvas, with the upper lip of the roof on the outside edge of the 2 x 4. You also want that board sandwiched between the roof and the bottom where the board is sitting, which means you have to gently lower the roof down so that the board is wedged in place. The roof may be lopsided at this point from front to back, i.e., almost closed at the rear, and open in the front where the board is wedged, but that's OK. Then, go to the front of the camper and pull down firmly and steadily on the front of the roof but towards the side where the problem is. It will bend, as aluminum tends to do, right at the front of the 2 x 4. You may have to yank on it hard a few times after the initial pull/bending, but it should go back to a flat, normal shape. Any other questions let me know.

The two I've seen Denny straighten out both look good enough that you wouldn't know they had been bent. There's a little ripple on the roof, but that's common w/all FWC roofs. I have some waves and ripples on mine caused by heat and natural stress/wear. If you use C clamps like cwdtmmrs did you could probably fine tune it even more, but this method works fine.

As a pointer to help prevent this from happening in the future, get in the habit of counting the number of latches undone as you go. It helps to always do them in the same order, but that likely won't happen every time.

Norsman said:
Super bummed, taco’ed the roof before I realized what was happening. Any suggestions to get this back to functional ?

Question: With the single buckle still buckled was the roof bent when you tried to lift the front or rear of the roof from the inside?

Thanks and hope this turns out to be an easy repair for you!

Here are two shameful scars from my life:

I learned the easy way....by scaring myself silly after leaving a front latch closed. I popped just the rear of the roof to let my friend see the inside of the camper when we first got it. Had made the mistake of having him undo the latches on one side while I did the other side, and I didn't explain it clearly. He got the side latch but not the front one. When I popped the rear of the roof it was harder than normal, but it went up. Showed him the interior, then we closed the camper down. About an hour later my brain was trying to tell me something was wrong. I thought about it and guessed what had happened. I knew that it couldn't have been the middle latch because the roof didn't bend, but I thought for sure damage had been done. I went and checked and there was absolutely no problem. The side effect is persistent closed-latch paranoia, which is a good thing.

I also developed persistent open-latch paranoia after driving 10 miles up the freeway at 70 mph doing the worst possible aerodynamics test. As I did my neurotic mental checklist while flying up the freeway, that same feeling of doom returned. I realized I did not remember closing the front latches before leaving. Choking back adrenaline, I asked my wife to look up from the passenger seat. Sure enough, the front of the lid had popped up, and we were just entering about a 3 mile stretch with no safe shoulder or off ramps. I slowed it to 50 and did the limp of shame. A good Samaritan hauling a horse trailer pulled up in the fast lane and pointed up. I gave her a thankful thumbs up as I shrank into my seat. Luckily the next turnout was huge so I could hide on the outskirts as I closed the roof. Of course I did my best to make it look like everything was normal as I did this. Again, no damage.

Wallowa said:
Question: With the single buckle still buckled was the roof bent when you tried to lift the front or rear of the roof from the inside?

Thanks and hope this turns out to be an easy repair for you!
No, I couldn't tell from the inside that the roof had bent at all.

I'm going to try the 2x4 and bend method this week. I think it will go right back to normal with minor cosmetic changes on the roof.

I do not open until I personally count 6 open latches. was thinking of six ribbons on clips like airplanes have, but thought that would look silly driving down the highway :D

Morning
I like the airplane ribbon concept Mthomas. Maybe a put ribbon on when unlatching, then remove at latching time. I have had my share of close calls. Most times my attention to the task has been diverted. These errors were early on in owning, and I quickly made new rule. Whenever latching or unlatching always complete task, ignore others asking me something ( just ask for a moment but do not stop task at hand) even with assistance I look to see all ok. The best way to fix the roof is not to bend it. We all know that, but finding the system for each is the trick. That's why I like the ribbon trick it slows you down and makes you think.
Thanks for posting the fix methods, looks like they work very well.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom