Best Cold Weather Tips

eyemgh

We have a 2018 Raven Shell with a thermopack and a factory installed propane heater. Winter camping is not our usual thing, but we do it occasionally and sometimes you get surprised.

I spent two days in Eastern OR this weekend and the temps were in the mid teens at night. The bed was quite cold, especially on the forward side where there wasn't the extra layer of the extension not pulled out.

The simple solution is to pull it out and just sleep scooted over to that side (the one with camper interior and not exterior under it). That won't work when both of us travel though.

I've searched the archives and haven't used the right terms to come up with a solution.

Long story short, what do you do to insulate better under the forward portion of the bed and what bedding do you use. Neither of us really like sleeping bags even though we've both spent plenty of nights in them. The camper was a chance to rid ourselves of that. Maybe a more rectangular, car camping style of bag? Currently we use down comforters, but I needed both of them.

Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• IMG_4457.jpg
    IMG_4457.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 135
Try a thin sheet of pink construction foam under the mattress, maybe 1/2” or so. I also recommend a product like Hyper Vent that allows air under the mattress to reduce condensation. Hyper Vent also adds a bit of cushion. The FWC mattress was too hard for my old bones.

Just got back from southern Utah where it got down to 0 F one night. I use an insulated Termarest pad under me. With the furnace set at 42 degrees I never got cold. But anything metal on the roof or walls did have frozen condensation that started to drip in my coffee during breakfast. The Hyper Vent looks like a grat idea and a lot cheaper.

How thick can it be built up and how do you avoid a hump when it’s pulled out to a queen?

Remote1 said:
Just got back from southern Utah where it got down to 0 F one night. I use an insulated Termarest pad under me. With the furnace set at 42 degrees I never got cold. But anything metal on the roof or walls did have frozen condensation that started to drip in my coffee during breakfast. The Hyper Vent looks like a grat idea and a lot cheaper.

How did you deal with water freezing in camper? [plumbing]

I emptied/purged the water system before we left, I didn't want to have to even worry about it freezing. It was about 11 degrees in the Black Hills of Dakota the first night and the forcast for the first part of the trip was, cold. Used a solar shower by midweek.

Wallowa said:
How did you deal with water freezing in camper? [plumbing]
Mine is a shell without water and gray tanks. It was plenty warm inside to keep the water I brought from freezing.

As I consider my next camper though, I wrestle with water management. Going without is WAY easier, but less convenient for sure. Washing dishes in sub freezing weather for example is not too fun. What I ended up doing on this trip was only "cooking" coffee. The rest of my food didn't need to be heated and didn't generate dishes. In warmer weather we wash outdoors.

Remote1 said:
patrkbukly said:
I do exactly the same and it works great.
Old school inflating ones, new old school closed cell, or new new school insulated air channels?

Also, pads under the FWC mattress or on top?

Thanks!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Try a thin sheet of pink construction foam under the mattress, maybe 1/2” or so. I also recommend a product like Hyper Vent that allows air under the mattress to reduce condensation. Hyper Vent also adds a bit of cushion. The FWC mattress was too hard for my old bones.

Sage,

Concept and products makes sense; air circulation is smart...but a question before I lay down the bucks; how much does the Hyper Vent raise the mattress and bedding? Concern is about dropping the top and not contacting the bedding or inhibiting the top as it comes down..

Thanks..Phil

eyemgh said:
Mine is a shell without water and gray tanks. It was plenty warm inside to keep the water I brought from freezing.

As I consider my next camper though, I wrestle with water management. Going without is WAY easier, but less convenient for sure. Washing dishes in sub freezing weather for example is not too fun. What I ended up doing on this trip was only "cooking" coffee. The rest of my food didn't need to be heated and didn't generate dishes. In warmer weather we wash outdoors.

Old school inflating ones, new old school closed cell, or new new school insulated air channels?

Also, pads under the FWC mattress or on top?

Thanks!
I use the old school "self inflating" ones. The blue ones I'm sure we've all had. I had a couple that have since been replaced with lighter inflatable ones for my back packing but these work great for this purpose.

fourthermarestsintent.jpg

Mine are first layer, against the wood, then the FWC cushion (mattress) and then a sealey mattress topper, then my double sleeping bag which is like two queen bed quilts held together with two zippers.

patrkbukly said:
I use the old school "self inflating" ones. The blue ones I'm sure we've all had. I had a couple that have since been replaced with lighter inflatable ones for my back packing but these work great for this purpose.

fourthermarestsintent.jpg

Mine are first layer, against the wood, then the FWC cushion (mattress) and then a sealey mattress topper, then my double sleeping bag which is like two queen bed quilts held together with two zippers.
Makes me wish I'd kept my old ones. :D

I decided to get three Nemo Switchbacks. We'll experiment with them on top and below the FWC mattress. I ordered some Reflectix to make window covers too.

Thanks!

eyemgh said:
Makes me wish I'd kept my old ones. :D

I decided to get three Nemo Switchbacks. We'll experiment with them on top and below the FWC mattress. I ordered some Reflectix to make window covers too.

Thanks!
Reflectix only has about a R1 insulation value. You might be better off checking with a fabric store to see what kind of quilted materials they have.

Wallowa said:
Sage,

Concept and products makes sense; air circulation is smart...but a question before I lay down the bucks; how much does the Hyper Vent raise the mattress and bedding? Concern is about dropping the top and not contacting the bedding or inhibiting the top as it comes down..

Thanks..Phil
Phil, in my Northern Lite, I’d estimate the hypervent at 3/4” high, so add a 1/2” of construction foam, and it’s still pretty reasonable.

Phil, in my Northern Lite, I’d estimate the hypervent at 3/4” high, so add a 1/2” of construction foam, and it’s still pretty reasonable.

Thanks I will order from the site you posted..Amazon has a similar product, but a marine store makes more sense...I am after moisture reduction more than insulation.. for me, if I add the high R-value foam board that will only trap more moisture...

Appreciate all the info given by everyone...

Phil

Reflectix only has about a R1 insulation value. You might be better off checking with a fabric store to see what kind of quilted materials they have.
As a reflective insulator, it's a little confusing as to what type of R you'll actually get. It depends on the air space you can create. We know reflective car window screens work to keep heat low even though their conductive R value is minimal even with minimal air space. That's heat entering though. Maybe something that's a conductive insulator would work better. For now, until I can clear up some of the confusion, I cancelled the Reflectix. Thanks!

Reflectix under a mattress doesn't make much sense. It will simply net R1.1, just the conductive decrease of the material. This is because there's no air gap. On a window though, there is air inside the camper (and there can be air between the window and the Reflectix) that can work to increase the R-value by decreasing radiant loss (I think I have that term right). Below is a good controlled analysis of Reflectix and a commercially available quilted option versus no covering. I'm back to buying Reflectix. Ha!

https://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Vehicles/PMRV/ShadesHeatTransfer/ShadesHeatTransfer.htm

I have to admit reading this thread is a bit disconcerting .

My Hawk shell is on order and I will be picking up this winter with an immediate cold weather trip planned.

The biggest reasons I'm upgrading from a topper on the back of my truck is so I could get a warm, comfortable nights rest in sub freezing temps. Seems I'm reading so much about ways to upgrade the bedding as many find it not comfortable, and even staying warm with a furnace seems a challenge. Was I naive to think I could set the temp in the mid 60s on a snowy night and achieve this?
I'm having the arctic package installed.

Slowride said:
I have to admit reading this thread is a bit disconcerting .

My Hawk shell is on order and I will be picking up this winter with an immediate cold weather trip planned.

The biggest reasons I'm upgrading from a topper on the back of my truck is so I could get a warm, comfortable nights rest in sub freezing temps. Seems I'm reading so much about ways to upgrade the bedding as many find it not comfortable, and even staying warm with a furnace seems a challenge. Was I naive to think I could set the temp in the mid 60s on a snowy night and achieve this?
I'm having the arctic package installed.
I think you’ll be fine. Yes, some cold can creep up from the cab over, but it can be managed. Lots of folks in pop up campers use theirs in every season. Take a couple of short trips into cold country to learn what works, and what needs to be improved.

Camping wise, make sure you wipe down condensation inside on the fabric before lowering your top. Good ventilation when sleeping helps move moisture from breathing out. When home, raise the top and let it ventilate. Pull and air your mattress if you detect moisture under it. I am a proponent of Hyper Vent to help manage mattress issues.

I think you’ll be fine. Yes, some cold can creep up from the cab over, but it can be managed. Lots of folks in pop up campers use theirs in every season. Take a couple of short trips into cold country to learn what works, and what needs to be improved.

Camping wise, make sure you wipe down condensation inside on the fabric before lowering your top. Good ventilation when sleeping helps move moisture from breathing out. When home, raise the top and let it ventilate. Pull and air your mattress if you detect moisture under it. I am a proponent of Hyper Vent to help manage mattress issues.
Ordering Hyper vent.

We've added a 2" memory foam mattress on top of the FWC cushions, and that helps with heat retention. And I'm not sure there is a supplement for a quality down 0 degree sleeping bag to keep you warm in the camper. Personally, I love a cold fall or winter night with the windows open and being tucked down in my bag.

Back
Top Bottom