Best Mod You Made to Your Camper

michgoblue

I purchased a used 2008 Phoenix (about size of a Swift) last April and spent the year doing various fixes and mods to it. It needed a lot of updating as the prior owners had gutted a lot of the systems. Just finished the last couple and now wondering what to work on next. So wondering what folks consider the best mod they made to their camper, regardless of price. Here is my list so far:

1. Installed under bed storage
2. Installed pull out for bed and N/S sleeping
3. Replaced 3-Way fridge with 2-Way Truckfridge
4. Replaced mattress and cushions
5. Installed Lagun table
6. Added side section to house portipotti
7. Added 3 x 120W flexible solar and 100/30 controller
8. Replaced all lights with new LEDs
9. Replaced converter with 3-stage charger
10. Installed 155AH AGM battery
11. Installed 1000W inverter
12. Built 7-pin to Anderson plug cable to connect truck to camper
13. Installed Automatic Charge Relay
14. Replaced right side of roof lifting system
15. Replaced floor and interior coverings
16. Added removable, folding boat seats to bench that can easily slide off to use bench as bed
17. Added Torklift tie-downs to truck
18. Built truck platform with basement for storage and 27 gallon water tank
19. Replaced pump and hoses, removed old water tank and made quick connect for new tank
20. Built 7.3 gallon grey water tank for inside bed well

Thinking about the following now:
1. Build second grey water tank to fit under the first.
2. Build a wind deflector for the cab overhang
3. Build a storage box for the build overhang
4. Replace double sink with larger single sink
5. Add rear or batwing awning
6. Add assist struts (have some but can't see an easy way to mount them)

The best mod I did was the bed extension. Its an easy pull out and makes it so much more comfortable. Otherwise adding the 2-way fridge and the solar has probably been the most convenient.

Re-wired our Phoenix replacing the OEM fire hazard and finally dumped the OEM "Converter". I had disabled the converter a long time ago because it was boiling the batteries, but needed the panel for it's fuse block and 120VAC breaker. Built a new panel (that is about 20 lbs lighter!) with just a Blue Sea fuse block and 120VAC breaker for the same spot.

michgoblue said:
. . . So wondering what folks consider the best mod they made to their camper, regardless of price . . .
Best mod I made was building a twin bed down across the front. Being a 69 y.o. male I was getting up 4 - 6 times a night before getting 'fixed'. Crawling out of the cab-over that many times a night was a pain.

Some additional benefits of a low bed are:
- my beagle can get up on the bed without assistance, keeps me from tripping over him when up.
- I can sleep with the top down when the situation warrants (high winds, stealth, . . . )
- just jump in back for a nap on my comfortable bed, no need to lift the top.
- lots of storage underneath.
- a much smaller volume to heat when winter camping.

Not a camper mod but getting a personal emergency beacon has made my family a lot more comfortable with me being way out back beyond alone without cell coverage. I check in every night to let them know I am OK and it gives my location. An added benefit is a housebound friend loves zooming in and 'exploring' the areas that I am staying.

jim

Following a link provided by WTW, I fabricated easy-to-make and install sun and rain awnings for my FWC Hawk. They really help to keep the rig cool when the sun is glaring. It helps that I have an older FWC with external flaps.

Galley has a single drawer with a regular small drawer pull. Replaced that with a much wider one and added a second dummy one beside the sink. Use them all the time to hang and dry tea towels.

ntsqd said:
Re-wired our Phoenix replacing the OEM fire hazard and finally dumped the OEM "Converter". I had disabled the converter a long time ago because it was boiling the batteries, but needed the panel for it's fuse block and 120VAC breaker. Built a new panel (that is about 20 lbs lighter!) with just a Blue Sea fuse block and 120VAC breaker for the same spot.
I have a 2011 Phoenix camper and I am wondering what you consider to be the "OEM fire hazard"?

DanoT said:
I have a 2011 Phoenix camper and I am wondering what you consider to be the "OEM fire hazard"?
Ours is a vintage unknown, but likely at least 11 years older than yours. They stapled the wires to the underside of the counter-top using un-insulated staples. Every staple broke the wire's insulation.No staple crossed both a power and a ground wire, but just the likely loss of strands due to the breakage will create hot-spots in those wires.

full

Getting rid of the lifter bar during sleep. I had to mangle out the rivets, but it still goes back into the holes so that I can raise and lower the roof. I love how much more open it makes the sleeping area. No more head bonking.

ntsqd said:
Ours is a vintage unknown, but likely at least 11 years older than yours. They stapled the wires to the underside of the counter-top using un-insulated staples. Every staple broke the wire's insulation.No staple crossed both a power and a ground wire, but just the likely loss of strands due to the breakage will create hot-spots in those wires.
Yeah, my Phoenix has a bunch of questionable construction methods, like mounting the outside grab handle into the siding instead of a wall stud (and of course it pulled out of the wall when I slipped and grabbed it), and the same goes for the front mounting points for the tubular lifting mechanism. Both eventually ripped out of the paneling that they were screwed to, no stud mounting.

In fairness, I have put the camper thru a lot of harsh use in ski country, including dropping one side of the roof completely in order to rake off the snow which likely lead partially to the lifting mechanism problem.

Lagan table. Never in the way but in just the right place when you need it. Eating, playing games, hangin’ out.

Without question, my Wife would say the small modification to the lower cabinet to allow us to bring along and store the Thetford Curve porta-potti. Having a decent pooper was tops on my Wife's list when we decided to sell our travel trailer and run with the Four Wheel Camper. I notched out the bottom of the cabinet so that the Curve will simply slide in and out. I have some decent tie-down brackets on order and will be fabbing up some sort of guide to hold the toilet in place while we travel on rougher terrain

Attachments

• 20180317_134753 (2).jpg
    20180317_134753 (2).jpg
    142 KB · Views: 140
Under the bed storage! I have been thinking of adding this to m 2008 Hawk. Has anyone done that his mode?

Our Phoenix came built that way, with under-bed storage. You have to lift the bed to access it. Which means can only access with the top up. We don't keep much in there.
If you do it, do it so that you can access with the top down.

I looked at bseek's (Brenda) travel blog and found it a complete read. She took great pics and she, like others on the WTW, took the time to share them with us. So I'm givin' out a big "Atta Girl!" shout-out to her for being out there in the first place and for bringing back those pics for the rest of us to enjoy!

Seems like there are many WTW'ers who do that...go to far away places, take great pics, share them with us and give us the impetus to get out rigs back on the Happy Highway this spring/summer season.

Not forgetting the delicious meals they made and the great food-stops they discovered!

Back
Top Bottom