Best Procedure for Washing Dishes?

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member
What is the best way to wash and dry dishes in a popup truck camper? Conservation of water is a major issue, of course. I would guess that a "sprinkler head" (or whatever its called) on the faucet would be economical when rinsing dishes. I want to minimize the amount of water collected in the collapsible plastic jug that will serve as my exterior grey water tank

I use a plastic tub inside my sink.Step 1, I clean off the dishes with a paper towel to remove all the food/mess I can. Then with some hot water,usually cooking water like pasta water,in the tub a few drops of dish soap,then wash.stack aside,then rinse,then place on dinette table to dry. Then taking the wash water to the restroom and dump it in the toilet. The last step,I find interesting, most campgrounds tell you not to wash or dump water at the faucet but make no mention as what to do with the waste water.
I have had camp hosts tell me just dump it into the toilet whether flush or vault doesn't matter.
We have found in Alaskan SP camps they provide a "basin"in the ground in your site to dispose of water,great idea as long as there isn't any food "stuff" in the water,which is why I always do step 1.
At Denali this year I found a "backpacker" sink that would be used in place of the plastic tub.
Frank

I do basically the same but don't use a plastic tub. Wiping everything with a paper towel before washing I think is the critical step in conserving water. Then I take my gray water bucket and dump it in a toilet or dishwashing sink which some campgrounds have. If there is no place to dump the gray water I have been told by rangers to just disperse it away from the campsite.

We also use a plastic tub for wash and rinse. Most of the CGs where we camp have waste water sumps. If there isn't one, we will use the outhouse, use it to kill the fire, or just take it away from the site like Charlie does.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
We also use a plastic tub for wash and rinse. Most of the CGs where we camp have waste water sumps. If there isn't one, we will use the outhouse, use it to kill the fire, or just take it away from the site like Charlie does.
Ditto.

We are pretty much the same. In addition to cleaning off the food waste, hot water is key. If there is no toilet or dump station, we often carry the grey water in a jug until we can dump it in a toilet. We used to dump it away from the campsite but have been discouraged from doing that by some rangers.

I have also been told not to dispose of grey water in the fire pit if there is food waste in it so as not attract critters.

I'm surprised that more folks don't hook a short hose to the exterior drain outlet of the sink, leading to a collapsible jug. Washing dishes in a pail set in the sink just seems to add one more item that needs washing and drying. As a newbie, this is just my impression.

Beagle pre-wash. Then depending on wether I am in water conservation mode or not: hot water, couple of drops of detergent, wash, dry or spray with bottle of vinegar/water mix, wipe dry. Never have food bits to worry about with the beagle.

No sink in my build. Usually the washing is done outside, letting the sun dry.

jim

We use three Rubbermaid type tubs, about sink size. One tub is in the sink with warm water and a few drops of Bio liquid soap. The other two tubs are on the counter to my right and left. Tub on my right has the dirty dishes which have been scrap clean of food particles. The other tub is on my left, where I set the washed, but not yet rinsed, dishes. After dishes have been washed, I'll rinse out the other two tubs and set them to my right. Then rinse the washed dishes and set then into one of the other tubs to dry. This way, any dripping is contained to the plastic tub, (water mess kept to a minimum) and left to air or towel dry them at my convenience. Dishes in the tub can also be moved out of the way easily. These tubs will set inside each other for easy storage...I store mine in the sink. The waste water is confined to an outside container which I empty in the nearby restroom or several meters away from our campsite. Micah

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
......Step 1, I clean off the dishes with a paper towel to remove all the food/mess I can.....
We have a grey water tank in our Hallmark and the last time we went out I was thinking about how I would clean that if I ever needed to so I started wiping the plates etc down with paper towels first and i hope it works out.

JaSAn said:
Beagle pre-wash. Then depending on wether I am in water conservation mode or not: hot water, couple of drops of detergent, wash, dry or spray with bottle of vinegar/water mix, wipe dry. Never have food bits to worry about with the beagle.

No sink in my build. Usually the washing is done outside, letting the sun dry.

jim
I have to admit we use the dog pre-wash system when Rocky is with us. Makes the washing really easy. :)

I use a "rinse kit" with refill option. these things work great. but only 3 minutes of water per load.

I like NorCalHawks method. I would add one more tub, since they nest so effortlessly. We keep all our cutlery, spatulas, cooking tools, plates, cups, etc. in the fourth tub. It lifts right out freeing the three to be used as washing. Pop it back in when done and all four become a sliding drawer.

Clean your plates up kids! :) No need to wipe anything off.
Hot soapy water in sink (just enuf to get the job done)
Wash dish.
Rinse dish with hot water under faucet. (don't have fancy spray thingie)
Place dish in Camco RV dish drain sitting next to sink. (fits in sink for storage)
Let air dry or towel dry and put dish away.
Drain sink - I use a short piece of garden hose to drain sink into collapsible water container.
Dispose of as mentioned.

Our 20gal water tank lasts a long time - over a week including showers.

We usually wash outside using a plastic basin with hot water from the water heater (large jobs) or "cooked" water from the stove (small jobs). I like to use the outside shower for rinsing. If inside, we do it pretty much the same as everyone else here but use the sink to wash then stack them in the basin until ready to rinse and put on the table for drying.

I wish every campground had a policy on what they want you to do with grey water.

Alan

Back
Top Bottom