Best small AGM battery 110 charger

DavidGraves

Just wondering

What is the best small lightweight 110 volt AGM battery charger we could take along for an overnight charge
where available enroute to BAJA ?

As usual, looking for small and lightweight.

Many thanks

David Graves

+1 on the Noco Genius. The 7200 covers 12 & 24 volts, AGM & liquid batteries and the 3500 covers 6 & 12 volt for same type batteries. I bought the Noco instead of CTEK only because they were discounted locally while the CTEK were not. Both brands seem to be very good with similar charging protocols.

Paul

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Since I am going to be adding solar.......

Is there any sort of gee whiz bang device that will serve as solar controller AND 110 volt battery charger ?

My whole notion is aiming to be able to fully charge the camper battery on the rare occasion we might find ourselves in a pay campground
with power.

DavidGraves

I use a Ctek 7002 to keep the Jeep topped up. The camper I just plug into 110 (has the IQ4) on the rare times the solar can't keep up.

Thanks Craig

Our FWC came as a shell with only battery separator and the basic main switch, lights and two 12 volt sockets.

Is the Iota reasonably small and fast to charge the camper battery ?

David Graves

The Iota DLS-30 with IQ4 is a 30 amp battery smart charger. The CTEK and Noco Genius chargers are both 7 amp or less 110 volt chargers. The DLS-30 will charge up to four times faster. It has sufficient power to charge the camper battery while running your other loads. The portable chargers won't do that.

Paul

And its fairly small. I love it if I've done something stupid and really drawn the batteries low.

DavidGraves said:
What is the best small lightweight 110 volt AGM battery charger we could take along for an overnight charge
where available enroute to BAJA ?

As usual, looking for small and lightweight.

Many thanks

David Graves
You didn't specify the size of your battery(s) or how far you discharge them.

An AGM wants ~40% of capacity in bulk mode for longest life. Otherwise the minimum charger that will refill your batteries to at least 80% overnight: (number of amp hours to replace ÷ number of hours to charge + 20% = number of amps the charger must deliver).

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-a-Battery-Charger

+2 on the Iota with IQ4.

jim

Thanks Jim

I have a single 95 amp AGM and draw will include only lights and 5 am small compressor Dometic.....which we will try to keep full and set pretty high.

David Graves

I am not fond of the Iota and IQ4 based on the default and non-tweakable voltages they set. For my Rolls batteries, they are not a good match. The VictronEnergy and NOCO Genius are almost perfectly set from the factory for my AGM Rolls batteries. The Genius comes in a 26 amp version, so almost the equivalent capacity as the IOTA most of our campers ship with.

I may just have to buy one today myself!

Back
Top Bottom