Better water tank level sensor/gauge?

rando

We have only had our new Fleet for a little over a month, and I can already see that the the lack of detail on the factory gauge panel is going to be an issue. We have already added a Victron BMV-700 battery monitor to get a better idea of available battery capacity. Now I am looking at the water level gauge. Based on the factory gauge, it is hard to tell the difference between 7 gallons left (stay out for 2 more nights) or 1 gallons left (head for town ASAP). Has anyone installed a higher precision gauge in their camper?

In my brainstorming I have considered adding a sight glass:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/sl.htm

It looks like it would be pretty easy to T into the tank drain line and run a line out to the front of a cabinet for a glass like. This solution seems like it would be very reliable, but maybe a little old school.

I am also looking at electronic options like these:
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/products/709es-sender/
But I can't find a single tank display that would work with this sensor.

Any other ideas or solutions people have had good luck with?

Hello Rando
I'm new to this forum, but I like the idea of the sight glass. I don't think you would need any special graduated tube. You said it looked simple to do, clear tube would work you could mark the full and empty levels after installed. Probably need food grade tube, but they always work!
Russ

Next time I feel like taking the camper apart this is what I am going to do. Cut three slots in the plywood in front of the tank. Install a bright LED light inside on a switch. Turn on switch and you can see the level.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 8.47.51 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 8.47.51 AM.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 152
Getting to the water tank is kind of complex depending on where you want to get to (on my Eagle). If you ever have to replace the tank, have fun! Remove sink, stove, faucet and countertop (getting to the screws is the hardest part).

We have never had an issue with either electric or water. Our Zamp controller gives us the reading. As far as water the readout is close enough. Our last trip was 18 days out, 14 camping and we still came home with water. I guess it depends on how you are using your water. We seldom use the shower, preferring to find a YMCA or other place for that. We are careful about how we do dishes. I don't intend on cutting into the cabinet. I check daily and have only had to fill up once on the road. Enjoy your camper and don't sweat the minor stuff. My 2 cents. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Milling slots in the cabinet around the tank is a great idea! Unfortunately on the Fleet flatbed the tank does not butt up to a cabinet wall, the electronics box is between the tank and the side of the cabinet. I will look some more at the sight glass option - I think I can just use some clear poly carbonate tube, and a right angle fitting with a valve at the bottom of the sight glass
5049kp4-c03al.png

The top of the sight tube has to be open to the atmosphere - so I think a valve would be a good idea so that you can't overflow the tank out the sight glass when filling the tank or if you are driving a sever angle. Open the valve to take a reading then close the valve.

Rando,

I believe after getting more time with the FWC system you will be more comfortable with the "best guess" gauges...

An option you did not mention with " 7 gallons left (stay out for 2 more nights) or 1 gallons left (head for town ASAP)" was to tote a water jug with backup water...we recently lugged around Utah an ice chest with about 8 gallons of water in an MSR and a store bought water jug...never needed them, but in a pinch we had coffee and drinking water...

So "heading home" is always an option, but there are alternatives. We have quickly learned to conserve water, carry a backpacking water pump/filter and find sources of water to re-fill the 20 gallon tank and 6 gallon hot water heater...

There will always be a limiter on time in the boonies...mostly when we run out of coffee beans! :D

Phil

I hear what you are saying, I would definitely just live with what I have if I didn't enjoy both scheming and making improvements. I am also a scientist in the real world - must have more data!!!
longhorn1 said:
We have never had an issue with either electric or water. Our Zamp controller gives us the reading. As far as water the readout is close enough. Our last trip was 18 days out, 14 camping and we still came home with water. I guess it depends on how you are using your water. We seldom use the shower, preferring to find a YMCA or other place for that. We are careful about how we do dishes. I don't intend on cutting into the cabinet. I check daily and have only had to fill up once on the road. Enjoy your camper and don't sweat the minor stuff. My 2 cents. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Agreed on all points. We carry a few full nalgenes and a steripen as backup, and even more importantly a super secret stash of starbucks VIA's as emergency coffee, and no-doze in the first aid kit in case things become really dire. I still think better gauges would help with peace of mind, particularly when out in the desert.

Wallowa said:
Rando,

I believe after getting more time with the FWC system you will be more comfortable with the "best guess" gauges...

An option you did not mention with " 7 gallons left (stay out for 2 more nights) or 1 gallons left (head for town ASAP)" was to tote a water jug with backup water...we recently lugged around Utah an ice chest with about 8 gallons of water in an MSR and a store bought water jug...never needed them, but in a pinch we had coffee and drinking water...

So "heading home" is always an option, but there are alternatives. We have quickly learned to conserve water, carry a backpacking water pump/filter and find sources of water to re-fill the 20 gallon tank and 6 gallon hot water heater...

There will always be a limiter on time in the boonies...mostly when we run out of coffee beans! :D

Phil

Yup on one liter Nalgenes..our Tundra has holders for four of them; we also fill our two Camelbaks...plus I just recently went with what you have a Steripen..but Starbucks? Naw, I will dig out the discarded coffee grounds and suck on them first! :D

As part of my big project to move the batteries in my Fleet to new locations under the front-dinette seats, I made a slot in the plywood wall next to the water tank so I can see the water level. I did it at the time because I had everything apart and the piece in question was easy to take out. I'm not sure it would be worth taking everything apart just to make the slot. It might be more easily accessible in a model without the front dinette seating. Maybe you could cut a slot with the plywood wall in place, but you would have to be very careful not to cut into the tank. There is about 3/4" space between the back of the plywood and the tank wall. The cut would probably come out rough but you could trim the slot with wood, plastic trim or aluminum angle.

Viewing Slot Low Res.jpg

I used some narrow black tape to mark the tank wall approximately where the level would be for every couple of gallons of water. The water level is plainly visible -- no extra illumination needed. (The black areas under the seats are the ventilation grills on the new battery compartments.)

The sight level idea seems simpler, really, but both are nice low-tech solutions. Nothing wrong with "Old School"!

I've never had to rely on the OEM tank monitor, but I am pretty happy to be able to see the water level at a glance.

- Bernard

bfh4n said:
As part of my big project to move the batteries in my Fleet to new locations under the front-dinette seats, I made a slot in the plywood wall next to the water tank so I can see the water level. I did it at the time because I had everything apart and the piece in question was easy to take out. I'm not sure it would be worth taking everything apart just to make the slot. It might be more easily accessible in a model without the front dinette seating. Maybe you could cut a slot with the plywood wall in place, but you would have to be very careful not to cut into the tank. There is about 3/4" space between the back of the plywood and the tank wall. The cut would probably come out rough but you could trim the slot with wood, plastic trim or aluminum angle.

attachicon.gif
Viewing Slot Low Res.jpg

I used some narrow black tape to mark the tank wall approximately where the level would be for every couple of gallons of water. The water level is plainly visible -- no extra illumination needed. (The black areas under the seats are the ventilation grills on the new battery compartments.)

The sight level idea seems simpler, really, but both are nice low-tech solutions. Nothing wrong with "Old School"!

I've never had to rely on the OEM tank monitor, but I am pretty happy to be able to see the water level at a glance.

- Bernard
Sometimes the best solutions are the easiest!

If you return the top of the sight tube to back into the tank, you wont need to worry about over flowing or venting it.

SUBSCRIBING!

As I asked over on Expo... what sending unit does FWC actually use and will an aftermarket actually be way more accurate? I use a flow meter on the hose to fill my tank as I don't always fill to 20 gal and the inside little LEDs seem pretty accurate. All the other suggestions are very good alternatives and I hope everyone bring extra drinking water.

I would like to know if anyone has actually had an issue with running out and not expecting to?

XJINTX said:
SUBSCRIBING!

As I asked over on Expo... what sending unit does FWC actually use and will an aftermarket actually be way more accurate? I use a flow meter on the hose to fill my tank as I don't always fill to 20 gal and the inside little LEDs seem pretty accurate. All the other suggestions are very good alternatives and I hope everyone bring extra drinking water.

I would like to know if anyone has actually had an issue with running out and not expecting to?
From looking at my tank, FWC uses a conductive monitor with three probes (and a return, so 4 'things' on the side of the tank). Unfortunately this means you can't get any more information out of the existing system as it is 'digital'. Each probe just turns on one LED on the monitor panel.

Seriously?...the FWC four light system to denote approximately how much water remains in the storage tanks is damned accurate...more to the point...we can re-fill or use other water sources if we run out; which should not happen with judicious use and planning.

Nothing is so simple that it can not be made too complex. Our LCDs are propane, electricity and water....all of which can be managed for extended stays "off the grid"...I met a couple in Baker Nevada, Great Basin NP, who have been living in a FWC Eagle in a Tacoma for three years....if they can plan out work-arounds for low supplies of anything, then my 2-3 week Hawk trips should be a piece of cake...

I have lived out of a back-pack in the back country for three weeks; certainly the Hawk offers even more options that can easily sustain an adventure and do it in comfort.

Phil

Here's my "simple" solution to the water level. 100% reliable, simple, can be viewed from outside of the camper. 12 gallon tank.
Chris

Attachments

• Water Level.JPG
    Water Level.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 235
Yes, seriously. If you are happy with the 3-Led system that provides an damned accurate approximation ;) , no need to comment here. I personally think that a better indication of water level would allow me to use the water more judiciously, and possibly stay out for longer without having to find somewhere to fill up. Unlike backpacking, it is more involved to fill your tank than dipping your nalgene in the nearest stream and hitting it with your steripen and we tend to be in areas without drinkable surface water (ie most of the SW).

Wallowa said:
Seriously?...the FWC four light system to denote approximately how much water remains in the storage tanks is damned accurate...more to the point...we can re-fill or use other water sources if we run out; which should not happen with judicious use and planning.

Nothing is so simple that it can not be made too complex. Our LCDs are propane, electricity and water....all of which can be managed for extended stays "off the grid"...I met a couple in Baker Nevada, Great Basin NP, who have been living in a FWC Eagle in a Tacoma for three years....if they can plan out work-arounds for low supplies of anything, then my 2-3 week Hawk trips should be a piece of cake...

I have lived out of a back-pack in the back country for three weeks; certainly the Hawk offers even more options that can easily sustain an adventure and do it in comfort.

Phil

rando said:
Yes, seriously. If you are happy with the 3-Led system that provides an damned accurate approximation ;) , no need to comment here. I personally think that a better indication of water level would allow me to use the water more judiciously, and possibly stay out for longer without having to find somewhere to fill up. Unlike backpacking, it is more involved to fill your tank than dipping your nalgene in the nearest stream and hitting it with your steripen and we tend to be in areas without drinkable surface water (ie most of the SW).

Rando,

No slight toward anyone in my comments. I was pointing out that viable alternatives exist to prevent "running out of water" or for that matter electricity or propane. To each their own and my way is not the only way....and of course I could be wrong.. :giggle:

Phil

rando said:
From looking at my tank, FWC uses a conductive monitor with three probes (and a return, so 4 'things' on the side of the tank). Unfortunately this means you can't get any more information out of the existing system as it is 'digital'. Each probe just turns on one LED on the monitor panel.

also--- XJINTX's question:.... What sending unit does FWC actually use?...
In this thread, I see the monitor panels in those Fleets are a KIB M1106 model. I see KIB also makes sensor probes and wire looms and rando's comment reminded me of them. A look through their online catalog suggests a common sensor probe is the MP5 and a common wire loom the K101. I don't have a monitor panel at all in my Hawk shell so I can't just go out and see if mine happens to have those. If anyone can confirm or deny that their sensor probes and wire loom look like the ones in those photos, that would be helpful. (Please note that I have no idea how long FWC has been using a KIB panel, what models they may have been used in, etc. so this could be a wild goose chase.)

PS- the MP5 photo makes it look like the sensor probe is pretty big. I see in the comments that it takes a 3/8" hole so perhaps it's not as big as it looks.

Back
Top Bottom