Better way to latch LP tank hatch?

MountainSufi

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Driving a multi-day rough road thru Wyoming mountains caused the rotating latch on my LP tank hatch door to loosen up. I now can't turn it to open the door. The round finger handle is ******ing frozen in place.

Our incredible local dealer will hopefully be able to open it by sliding in a credit card tomorrow (I can't duplicate this trick).

This shouldn't be happening. Has anybody else encountered this? Does anybody have a fix? Locktite on nuts when tightening it? Outdoor velcro used to latch it instead? I love the engineering on my FWC, but this is untenable.

Thankx!!!

Good question Sufi...on '16 Hawk the latch on our propane door would vibrate open; just the opposite of the issue you are having...I added a velcro strip on outside over the latch, not fancy, but stops the latch from opening...

Love to see alternate latches for this door...

I found mine too loose when I got it. Took it apart and examine the workings. Ended up simply bending the locking tab so that it exerted more pressure. Doesn't come loose anymore, even on Hole in the Rock road at *ahem* speeds. Loctite on the threads too.

Ours is so gummed up with whatever that it is difficult to turn. Sometimes I'm turning it within itself, sometimes I'm turning the whole assembly within the hole in the door. Can't really tell any difference.

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

I started this thread, because the latch on my LP tank hatch had frozen shut, unable to move (for the 2nd time). This is on my 2017 Fleet. YMMV Your Mileage May Vary.

Denny, the righteous distributor of FWC in Northern Utah, Wyoming, Idaho & Montana solved the problem today. We were darned close to drilling out the latch messily, but after asking my permission he applied HUGE hand pressure forcing the latch to open (remember turning counterclockwise kids). Trouble shooting, he peeked inside the hatch and noticed a rubber gasket surrounding the inside the door frame (there for weatherproofing). It had some wear on the rubber where the paddle of the latch had been rubbing.

AHA!!!

This resulted in the latch paddle rubbing against the rubber every time the door was opened and closed, loosening nuts up. Rough roads accelerated the problem. Genius Denny took a box cutter and surgically trimmed away rubber needlessly in the way. We tightened the mounting nut VERY, VERY hard. We didn't have Locktite hanging out, but agreed it probably wouldn't be necessary in the future & could later be easily applied now that the problem source was addressed. The latch now works smoothly, with an assurance it didn't have before.

I'm certain this has solved my problem, and hope other FWC'ers can be helped. Kudos to Denny for taking this PIA project as an interesting challenge, and seeing it thru to the end!!!

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Just took a 2700 mile 2 week trip from home to NorCal over the Donner Pass. Meandered down to Joshua Tree National Park. Then back home to Wyoming.

Absolutely zero problem with the LP tank hatch freezing & unable to turn. PROBLEM SOLVED! For us. Trimming away extruding internal gasket did the trick. I wish others success.

Yea Denny has been awesome with my Granby.

Has a simple effective approach to issues and never seen him twice about the few snags he has addressed.

Love my 2016 Granby.

Denny of Jackson Hole FWC's (& other places) has the annoying trait of charging little or nothing to drop everything & fix a problem.

I've resorted to tipping him with his favorite currency: Dropping off some long neck beers!!!

FYI...when traveling in really cold weather and freezing 'anything' [not on your person... :rolleyes: ] is a potential problem...carry de-icing spray...also works on frozen to windshield wipers....heck, starting fluid spray would also work...

Back
Top Bottom