Bill's FWC Hawk build.

billharr

Got home with the new (to me) Hawk today, but it is 6 months old. I will be posting pictures and new additions to this thread. This will be my winter project, need to take my time and make sure I do it right the first time. We stopped at FWC in Woodland today to look at some of the factory builds. I have a front dinette in the shell now and thought about building mine as a front dinette. After looking, talking with Stan and Steve and listening to the wife it looks like I will be doing another side dinette.

Need to add the following
  • Water tank, pump and sink.
  • Compressor refrigerator. Need to decide on the size.
  • Build full side cabinet, installing refrigerator and new sing. Move stove and furnace.
  • Curtains

Going to be watching Ski3pin's build to see what he adds. Talked with Terry today to be sure I can buy the same latches that are on the cabinets in the shell now. He said no problem just need to see how many, they work great and look great.

1294260_10201309483195384_743980773_o.jpg

Camper was spotless when I left Bend Oregon.
1398923_10201309483915402_111466703_o.jpg

1404740_10201309484675421_1370769047_o.jpg

stove and furnace.jpg

front dinette.jpg

mitch h said:
Looks like a fun rebuild. Hey Bill, how many times have you clipped that fire hydrant? Check spelling
My son in law took his front bumper off on that hydrant.

Bill, My Guess Is You Got Most Of The Bugs Going By My House, Around Klamath Lake?

And so it begins. Sold the old Hawk so have the money to get started. Got price quote from Terry at FWC so will get order in next week. Going to get a sheet of the FWC birch plywood so everything matches. Set in the camper and measured today. Thought about just what I wanted and then thought some more :oops: Surprised that FWC put the birch plywood on the lower sides for a finished look, it will be coming off. Finished the day by taping off where the dinette will go. May make a trip to FWC next week. Looks like I will have a one set of fold over brackets for sale as I will only need one for the side dinette.

full

We will be watching. Enjoyed Skis new build too. Done a few changes on our grandby, enjoyed it . Was going to sell it and truck but decieded to keep it and have a good time with it next year. Going west agin. Have fun. Mitch

Found a Waeco CR 65 online, on sale for $599.00 Order placed, the big $$ item is on it way.

super doody said:
Congrats Bill. Looking forward to this build. If you don't mind, why did you get another (newer) Hawk?
My old Hawk had the short cabover, worked but had to remake the camper each night. With the longer cabover you can leave the bedding up and close the top. I got lucky and found a 2013 shell that I can build out the way I want. I also get all the new stuff. One piece roof, new lift panels, latest heater, new propane tanks, light color pop up. Just nicer than the old camper. That said if the 2002 had an extended cabover I would not have been looking.

Bill

I guess I didn't look at your camper that closely in Zion to see that you didn't have the extended cab.
It's so nice to have that extra room.I don't have to make up the bed every time.I just leave the sleeping bags on the mattress.We don't use the pull out part of the bed just sleep across the camper.Works for us as we can fit there.
Will you have room for your "air spoiler" with the extended cab?
Have fun with your build.
Frank

Placed my parts order with FWC today. Decided to order the counter top so it will look almost stock. I will have drawers and doors in different places than the factory. After Thanksgiving everything should be here and the work will begin.

Side note: found out everyones favorite service guy Terry will be moving over to sales. He should do well there, he has customer service down.

Bill

Started doing a little removal today. An FWC shell is more than just a shell, they put in finish boards and small storage compartments on each side. I don't need these for my side dinette build, so out they come. Below is what I ended up with after pulling the finish board and hinged tops. The tops are also carpeted, no glue but hundreds of staples.

full

full

These are the staples I got out of just the small 3" strips of carpet that are hanging in the photos above.
full

Some parts of the finished boards will be going back after the Cabinets and seat bottoms are finished.

Bill while you have it tore down, you might think about some bigger backing plates for your eye bolts. easy to get to now. Just a thought. Mitch

mitch h said:
Never mind. Should have looked at your pics first
Those are how FWC makes them now. Not at all like my old 2002 Hawk the out side are not eye bolts any more. Large angle with a hole, they have done a great job on them.

Did not do a lot over the Holiday. I am on hurry up and wait for parts. Go a call today on the Waeco Fridge it will be here Tuesday, Solar on Monday (120 folding panel). As soon as FWC finishes the counter tops I start putting things together.

Got the battery and heater out of the cabinet. next week the DC fridge will be here. Tomorrow I will start moving the wiring around to the battery in the front.
gallery_1903_712_81309.jpg

Slow day, got the battery and separator moved to the front. Glad I know how to use an VOM, tracing wires that are not marked is a lot easier. Had an unmarked set of wires with connectors by the battery. Traced and found they are rolled up with the solar plug wires. Solar wires are well marked but then this set was running to where the battery was. Going to have to move these over to where the battery is now. Moved the plug to the truck from the drivers side to the passenger side, that is where my truck plug is and now where the battery is. 3 wires from the truck plug a white hot and black ground but the third wire was Blue. After 4 " Blue hooked to Green into the camper, Green then hooked to Orange, Orange back to a smaller gage green that had 3 scotch lock taps off of it, what could it be?? A little checking and found I have LED marker lights on the camper :) I will need to wire this to the trucks tail lights.

Just about all I can do until parts arrive. Going to leave the blue sea fuse box in the same location just move it forward. I will cover it with a small door next to the Drawers (or drawer) I will be putting in. The master cut off switch will be next to the fuse box under the new door. Planning to leave this area open underneath so the heater can pull air in here. This way I will not need to have the louvered vent in the cabinet face.

Back
Top Bottom