Bill's FWC Hawk build.

Thanks for sharing. The camper looks great and I always appreciate the storage ideas. I try to get the most for the space also.
Have fun at the Pinnacles,hope you get to see the condors.
Frank

Bill, that looks great. My 2 favorites ideas that are easy enough for me to pull off (I don't have woodworking skills) are:
  • I really like how you put the rear window curtain inside. The way FWC installs it, you can't open/close the curtain it if you've got a screen door (without opening the door)
  • Moving the overhead cabinet forward to the bed support seems like a great way to free up space toward the rear. I installed my thermostat at the front of one of those cabinets, but I could just move the other one forward and do a box in the rear corner like you did
Thanks for all the photos and congrats on finishing. You're going to have a great time with it.

Below are the dollar costs of my build. I did a re-read on RC Pilot Jim's build and noticed he included his costs. This will give someone an idea of what can be saved by buying a shell and building it like you want. Ski3pin's build inspired some of what I did on mine, I hope some who have read my build are inspired to do build theirs as they want it to be. I did do an Excel sheet if you have any specific questions on costs, just ask.

med_gallery_1903_712_52962.jpg

Thanks for sharing the finances, Bill. It is worthwhile, isn't it?

I need to spend some time looking at your build. Our 08 Hawk works fine, but I can imagine doing a better job if I was to do my own custom build. Thanks for bringing us along. Too bad about the injury.

Bill did such a good job on his build-out I think it deserves to be up on the first page so the newbies
who might be considering a shell model have an opportunity to easily find and review the information.
Go Bill !!

There has been several great builds on WTW. Ski3pins is at the top for me. I am also following Manfred65 Jayco build. What about a Subforum under Truck Campers or a pinned thread just for Camper Builds.

billharr said:
BACK TO IT :D

I started back on the camper today. Feel like a one hand paperhanger. This is going to be slow, still can't make a fist, but I can hold things sort of. So away I go. Today I installed the fridge and the extra cooling fan. Also mounted the counter top and built a shelf for storage under the counter top.

Report up on my Blog, need to resize photos to post here.

Cooling fan
gallery_1903_712_2034.jpg

Counter top up showing storage 7" deep
gallery_1903_712_22570.jpg

Counter down, note switch to right if i want to turn off the cooling fan. It is wired to run only when fridge is running. Just not sure if I will need all the time.
gallery_1903_712_4220.jpg

Fridge wired in. Put plugs on the power and on the wires to the fan.
gallery_1903_712_33302.jpg

R-13 wrapped around the fridge.
gallery_1903_712_43304.jpg

Fridge in place, still need to trim around door and add corner moulding.
med_gallery_1903_712_20986.jpg

Tomorrow going to start on the heater.

Bill
Hi Bill, does FWC build campers with storage above the fridge if you get the 65 liter fridge? Thanks.

I don't think the pic of the one piece black rubber backed carpet mat you cut to size is in this thread, but how do you like it?

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I was also thinking it may be a bit large and that might be a pain to keep clean vs. a couple smaller carpets, that you can easily shake off and do a quick sweep.

Bill D said:
I don't think the pic of the one piece black rubber backed carpet mat you cut to size is in this thread, but how do you like it?

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I was also thinking it may be a bit large and that might be a pain to keep clean vs. a couple smaller carpets, that you can easily shake off and do a quick sweep.
It is over in low cost mods. I carry a scrub brush for the carpet, not hard to clean off. I have small carpet sample in the door way that I can shake off.

Edit I really liked the rubber backing when the floor got we and the carpet stayed dry.

This is amazing Bill! Great work!

Question, i didnt see covered....

I keep going back and forth with which way i am going to do mine. Cant decide between built, or a shell and building it myself.

One thing that im concerned with is plumbing the gas...

I plan to order with a furnace, regardless,,, Can the line to the furnace just be Teed into to run another line to the stove?

Also, ive read many places the area to cut holes in these to run the fills and drains out the side is basically a guessing game. Truth?

Thanks
Kevin

What Sagebrush said. I have the equipment and background to run the gas lines not that hard to do. Get some bubble solution to check all your joints. If you don't have one, get a propane detector and remember they have a limited life of about 5 years. They will start beeping when too old.

billharr said:
What Sagebrush said. I have the equipment and background to run the gas lines not that hard to do. Get some bubble solution to check all your joints. If you don't have one, get a propane detector and remember they have a limited life of about 5 years. They will start beeping when too old.
Perfect! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom