Bill's FWC Hawk build.

idahoron said:
Here is the video of Biil Harr.

This is my old hawk. I used this video on my CraigsList ad. I left it up so I could look to see how the old one was set up. My new build will be almost the same. Except more room in the cabinet, because the propane and water tank will be in the new locations and not under the cabinet.

I thought it was too much of a coincidence for two Bill Harr's to both have FWC's.
I am looking forward to seeing what you do.

Got my solar in a bag yesterday, last thing I needed for the build. Got a tracking number for the Waeco Refrigerator and it is shipping to Lexington MI! I called and said I got the wrong shipping number and was told no that is where it is going :oops: I said I live in Stockton CA. Quite on the other end of the phone, I hear a Oh **** in the back ground. I was told they had to straighten the shipping out and would give me a call back :mad: Good news is Brenda at FWC said my counters and parts are ready. Trip to the factory tomorrow.

Bill

Picked up everything at FWC, the fridge got here today and I went to Lowes and got a sheet of 1/2 birch plywood. Now if it was just not so cold. I don't have that big heated shop. So I have been doing the small odd jobs. Made a transition sheet to fill the hole left where the heater vent was. It will not be where the 110v outside plug will be. Now I need to paint is so it matches the siding. Going to have a solar plug on each side of the camper for the folding solar to plug into. Everything takes longer than it should, FWC really put there stuff together. Need to move the right side panel where the stove was, on the cabinet that will now holds the fridge. Only need to move 1" to match the counter top, but will need to pull the bottom cabinet apart to get to two screws. This is going to be my winter project so the wife says don't hurry.

Bill

Slow weekend, moved batteries and started routing wires. Painted the plate for the 110v plug got ready to install and read the instructions on the caulking "do not apply below 40 degrees". It was below that and dropping today so that project moved to the back burner. Wife did not like the grain on the birch plywood, too many small knots so back it went, spent one day driving around looking for wood. Hope to get the counter top mounted tomorrow and then decide what we want for drawers and doors.

Modifying a shell to a Hawk with water, fridge and stove is not a quick project. I will have to frame the heater vent from the inside to have a solid mount also the fresh water fill. Just would not sleep well screwing then into the siding with out some more metal behind them. I did get the inside siding pulled back enough to see and mark where the framing is. Need to be sure the supports for the counter are screwed into the frame and where I frame the heater vent and water fill. Will try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

Bill

I don't have the kid of guts you do Bill, or building skills. I can't wait to see the pic's

Getting a few things done. Most of the wiring is done. Reading what others have been doing I ran wire to power a relay to turn on the back flood lights when backing up. I also have the led marker lights on the camper so I will need a 4 wire plug minimum so will be changing out the plugs on the camper and truck.

Got the new 110v service plug installed where the heater vent was. It did have to be where the black stripe is. Had to paint the plate to match.
med_gallery_1903_712_909473.jpg

Now starts the hard part for me I am a crate maker and not a cabinet maker. Fitted the new DC fridge where the battery and heater was. The picture below show the counter top over the fridge lifted. There will be a 7" deep storage area here.
med_gallery_1903_712_236290.jpg

Everything is just set in place to get measurements and to decide where the drawers and door will be in the new cabinet.
The 2x4 you see is temporary just to hold up the counter.
med_gallery_1903_712_33019.jpg

Have 4 more holes to make in the camper side. Heater vent, Fridge vent, fresh water fill and sink drain. Picture below shows the heater set in place. All of the holes will need to have a frame made around them so there is something to screw into. I will be using 1" sq aluminum tube and pot rivets. I will also be adding a fan behind the fridge.

med_gallery_1903_712_165013.jpg

Started cutting more holes in the camper. Because this was a shell model not all the cross bracing was put in the walls. I make a bracket for the fresh water fill using 1" sq aluminum tube, using pop rivets to hold it together.

bracket.jpg

Then cut the panel inside to see where the tube was to mount the new bracket
hole+inside.jpg

Mounted the bracket and drilled 4 small holes in the corners.
4+little+holes.jpg

Used a sheet metal saw to cut a larger hole using the small holes as corners.
big+hole.jpg

Did this spot so the filler would fit flat top and bottom. did a quick fit to be sure.
test+fit.jpg

Everything looked good so I made some PVC spacers for the sides so I did not have to use 1/4" of caulk. Drilled holes for the screws and caulked the side up and installed.
finished+water.jpg

Earlier I did cut a hole for the fridge vent and mounted the louvered vent panel
vent+fridge.jpg

Next up drain for the sink and then the vent for the heater. I am trying to maximize the storage in the cabinet so will put elbows on the fresh water fill pipe. More to come, have a long way to go.

I remember the first time i drilled holes in our new boat years ago, must of measured 10 times.

Back
Top Bottom