Bombsight Build Thread

cdbrow1 said:
Spoke with Buckstop today. They are also known as Ruenel, which is a name that has been around a LONG time. They used to make semi bumpers we used when I was fleet manager back in the day. Once I figured who they were my comfort level went up a bit - they are a "real" company.

I got a quote from them a few minutes a ago for a rear bumper in steel with 2 gates (one on each side) one with a tire mount and one bare. $3105 with shipping to my door. They don't have any installers so I am on my own to get it installed. That is without backup lights (don't need them since I have floods on the FWC) and with 2 D Rings. Hitch is Class V - 20K rating.

Going to sleep on it for a few days and see if I really want to spend that kind of scratch on a bumper.
I sent them some photos of the camper and rear over hang yesterday and this was the response....

After looking at the photos, unfortunately I do not think the swing out arms would work with the camper overhanging. I think you would not be able to get the swing out arms to close. The swing outs should not be a problem for you when they are fully open but when closed they do sit close to the vehicle.

So it does not look good.

I have a CBI on my Tacoma with a single swing arm. I had to modify it to clear the rear of my Eagle, it was no problem. Any reputable fabrication shop should have no problem making a bumper work. Ron

nikonron said:
I have a CBI on my Tacoma with a single swing arm. I had to modify it to clear the rear of my Eagle, it was no problem. Any reputable fabrication shop should have no problem making a bumper work. Ron
In talking with Buckstop yesterday the issue is three fold - first is the latch they use which is tied into the bumper step. That would have to be moved back, which may not be possible. The second issue is the pivots, which could probably be moved out pretty easy. The third (and fatal issue) is the leverage effect of moving everything further out. They just don't want to go there. I get that - you engineer for one set of forces and you don't want people tampering with that.

I think I might go with a Hitchgate for now and just wait for Aluminess to build what I really want.

Yes, I also had to modify my latch system. Once the swing is closed there is no difference in where the load is actually, still sitting on top of the bumper. Ron

Attachments

• DSC06146.jpg
    DSC06146.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC06145.jpg
    DSC06145.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 356
Can you tell I love my FWC? :)

She burns easily with that lily white skin so I got her some sun screen..

Attachments

• DSC06142.jpg
    DSC06142.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC06147.jpg
    DSC06147.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 372
longhorn1 said:
Bombsight,

Very nice. Headed back to Galveston Island in March. jd
Cool. Maybe we will cross paths. March is a good time of year down here. Not too hot and not too cold. Little breezy ... but only for a few days and then bluebird skies.

Other than cutting the bottom to multiple lengths and sewing a hemline along the cut, the privacy curtain is completed.

Attachments

• curtain 1.jpg
    curtain 1.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 492
  • curtain 2.jpg
    curtain 2.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 559
  • curtain 3 edit.jpg
    curtain 3 edit.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 541
RAYYOU said:
Very nice. How is the shower coming along?
Thanks.
Shower is close to being done. Would be if it wasn't so damn hot in Texas. ha .... you can see some of the parts of the shower in the last photos.

Love those curtains... wish my wife could sew :( What hangar bar is that? Maybe I can buy some curtains and take to seamstress after marking measurements.

She or you don't need to sew.

Here are the parts needed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GERV74U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC6U9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I8J4QC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UCAE8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414-DC-Extreme-Mounting/dp/B00YQD148O/ref=pd_sim_60_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9A1EQMVF9Q8GENJKF1ZT

.... and a 1" square aluminum stock.

You'll need self taping screws (5) and a bit to drive them. Don't get them too long and put 5 holes in the roof. lol

We think its a really nice mod. It divides the campers privacy for natures calling in the night as well as showering.

Speaking of showering inside, here are a few pics of what I have fabbed so far (- the shower curtain)...

Attachments

• FWC shower 1.jpg
    FWC shower 1.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 542
  • FWC Shower 2 copy.jpg
    FWC Shower 2 copy.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 540
The bottom pan will travel upside down on the Thule roof basket as well as store there until needed. Shower hoop/curtain will travel under it.

Outdoor shower:

The rods are solid 3/4" aluminum with 3 O-rings spaced out inside each of the Yakima racks. If they don't hold up to the weight over time, I have solid 3/4" stainless steel rods standing by.

The next step is to fab a 2x4 (Plasti-dipped) with two 3/4" holes in it. It will sit on the campers top edge with rods running through each end of it. This should allow for better support instead of the Yakima rack barring all of the weight. I will then fab the mount for the shower head (with LED lights off to the side) from the 2x4.

Stay tuned if interested ...

Attachments

• OD Shower FWC.jpg
    OD Shower FWC.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 434
  • O D Shower FWC.jpg
    O D Shower FWC.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 428
  • O D Shower F W WC .jpg
    O D Shower F W WC .jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 391
Back