Bombsight Build Thread

Took a little trip to where the Brazos River meets the Gulf of Mexico this past weekend ...

Attachments

• wtw 1.jpg
    wtw 1.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 365
  • wtw2.jpg
    wtw2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 397
  • wtw3.jpg
    wtw3.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 327
Great food, great camper, great company, and a wicked sunset....life is GOOD.

Vic Harder said:
wow, great location. i would want to be sure of how firm the sand was before parking there!
I've been concerned about that with 2000#'s + on the back ..... but after this trip, there isn't much the Duramax can't handle.

Attachments

• wtw 5.jpg
    wtw 5.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 204
Have you got some sandmats or such to get out if you get stuck? I'm asking because I will be crossing LOTS of washes in Utah in a few weeks and am planning on carrying at least a shovel and some Maxsa traction mats.

lol ... I have 4 brand new Maxtrax' and left them at home. Probably should have brought them but felt a false sense of security instead. One day, when I get a swing out bumper, I hope to have them permanently mounted.

I guess, in the back of my mind, a solid recovery strap with a few other four wheelers around, was good enough.

Out there all alone though? ... wouldn't be caught dead without SOMETHING!

Vic do you have a good quality air compressor? If so the best start for deep loose sand is deflating the tires to aid in floating more. If you are also driving on hard packed surface don't go too low. But if you do get stuck on a section lower the pressure and then put some air back in when back on long hard surfaces. Between the shovel and the traction mats and airing down you should be fine. Unless you run into the dreaded wet slick clay.....

I have a smallish Viair. I carry it for fixing flats. I doubt it would be good enough for regularly airing down/up. A 400p is on my wish list though!

Bombsight said:
lol ... I have 4 brand new Maxtrax' and left them at home. Probably should have brought them but felt a false sense of security instead. One day, when I get a swing out bumper, I hope to have them permanently mounted.

I guess, in the back of my mind, a solid recovery strap with a few other four wheelers around, was good enough.

Out there all alone though? ... wouldn't be caught dead without SOMETHING!
Yeah.... About that....

I've been offroading my entire life. Always had a winch, never used it..

Got some MaxTrax.. Never used them, but kept them with me, just because...

Few months ago, was heading out to the Salton Sea for some Photography Stuff.. Looked at the MaxTrax and said "I am sick of carrying these damn things around" and threw them in my garage.

Get to the Salton Sea... First time in probably close to 20 years, i got STUCK, really stuck... Solo vehicle

Had my shovel, started digging, went to grab my MaxTrack, and then.... DOH!

6 hours later, a friend drove out in the middle of the night with his winch and got my dumbass out!

Moral of the story... Dont be like me! :)

Shovel is too easy to carry, I'd never be without one. Also have a winch along with snatch straps, which I've never used but it keeps peace of mind. Plus someone else may need help. Ron

So Cal Adventurer said:
Yeah.... About that....

I've been offroading my entire life. Always had a winch, never used it..

Got some MaxTrax.. Never used them, but kept them with me, just because...

Few months ago, was heading out to the Salton Sea for some Photography Stuff.. Looked at the MaxTrax and said "I am sick of carrying these damn things around" and threw them in my garage.

Get to the Salton Sea... First time in probably close to 20 years, i got STUCK, really stuck... Solo vehicle

Had my shovel, started digging, went to grab my MaxTrack, and then.... DOH!

6 hours later, a friend drove out in the middle of the night with his winch and got my dumbass out!

Moral of the story... Dont be like me! :)
Thanks for sharing your humbling moment!

We have a winch and a land anchor. Have not needed to use either on my current truck, but on the last rig we did, and must say: when you need it, it’s worth every penny.

With a large truck and camper, we’re all quite heavy, so being ready for self recovery is a must.

Are your awning stakes always in the wrong place, mucking' things up, getting your FWC dirty & rattling?

That's nothing a two inch wide pvc pipe and two 2" end caps can't fix. Pvc cement one end cap but not the other. Twist on/off.
Pipe can be permanently mounted to spot of choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-40-Solid-Sta…/…/ref=sr_1_8…

Fits perfectly behind refrigerator.

Attachments

• Snow Peak Stakes.jpg
    Snow Peak Stakes.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 200
  • _DSC0055.jpg
    _DSC0055.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 195
Fabbed an Ac air diverter out of some scrap plastic. Shaped with a heat gun and adhered with 3M double sided tape. Ac would blow up against cab of truck instead of toward sleeping area. Makes a significant difference.

Attachments

• Cfwc 1.jpg
    Cfwc 1.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Cfwc.jpg
    Cfwc.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 194
Back
Top Bottom