Bottle jack and air compressor recommendations?

Moose Dog

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for bottle jack and air compressor recommendations - FYI for 2017 Ford 350 w/heavy camper ( and so tall! ). Willing to pay more for a longer lasting, safe jack.

Asking around where I live hasn't yeilded much info, plus the nearby auto parts store had not much at all. So supplier recommendations are also appreciated. I know not to buy Chinese made tools, but haven't narrowed it beyond there.

Thanks a ton!

I don't think you will find anything but a Chinese made air compressor at least in terms of 12v compressors, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. How often you plan on using it, and how fast you need it to be will determine the size of compressor you get. I currently have an ARB single compressor mounted under the hood of my Tacoma, primarily for adjusting my air bags, and for changing tire pressure. It works well, but is not really any better than the MV-50 that I had on my Landcruiser that cost 1/4 the price. In terms of value, the generic MV50 is really hard to beat, but if you want something faster there are other options that cost much, much more.

I second the Safejacks referral above, for their bottle jack accessories. Many of their parts cost less than it would cost me to make them, except the baseplate, which I did make.

I have a compressor like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Puma-12-Volt-1-5-Gallon-Oil-Less-Air-Compressor-Free-Shipping-Oiless-12V/252693385387?epid=512283357&hash=item3ad5b310ab:g:LgkAAOSwA3dYXKjJ

I previously had York A/C compressors used on previous vehicles for compressed air, and found nothing remotely close to their performance (spoiled I guess) and the Puma was the nearest thing I found that runs on 12V.

Can’t help with jack. Viair 400p Aitomatic. You might look at the same model -RV designation due to dually.
Can’t help wit jack, xcept to say one with good seals.

Russ

I agree that the bottle jack that Ford supplies with their Super Duties is pathetic and I would not use it if possible.
Given that the chance of getting a flat tire on a nice level concrete pad is pretty slim I decided to go with this combination jack and stand...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ULZGFU/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have used it with my camper installed and was very happy with the ease of use and the stability.

As far as portable 12v. Compressors go I purchased this after a good review here on WTW.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200672535_200672535

The only thing I have done to it is replace the 12v. Wire with a longer and heavier gauge wire so that it will now reach to my trailer if need be.

I've had an ARB CKMA-12 compressor for a few years now and it works very well. I have it mounted under the hood, it doesn't seem to take much time at all to air tires back up to highway psi when required.

Another vote for Safe Jacks. I'm not familiar with which bottle jack they are offering, however their bottle jack accessories are awesome.

I think the air compressor choice gets a little tricky. You need to consider your tire size, what psi you run while on pavement and how much you'll be airing down. Your F350 probably is spec'd for 80 psi like my RAM2500. When I had a smaller compressor and was airing down a little to take the edge off on graded gravel roads it worked fine, although a little slow. My first trip to the beach it took 20 minutes per tire to get from 35 to 80 psi. Second time at the beach took them up to 60 psi just to get us home and ended up burning out the compressor. I then installed the ARB Twin 100% duty cycle, 6.61 CFM compressor and I'm so happy I did. Spendy, but no regrets.

Dean

I also have the Safe Jack kit and think it's great. But I opted for a CO2 can for airing up after washboard/off road, etc. It's fast and lasts a long time. I have it refilled every year or so. The only downside is that the CO2 doesn't keep your tires at spec for more than a few days. On the other hand it's cheap, convenient, fast, and easy.

As I posted in a recent thread we carry a small floor jack with the wheels replaced with a full length skid plate. I use that for tire change type work when possible. For the smaller vehicles I horde the Toyota OEM mechanical bottle jacks because unlike a hyd bottle jack they will work in any position.

For a small compressor the MV-50 & variants are hard to beat. They have one Achilles Heel in that the relay under the cover with the switch in it tends to fail. I now delete that relay and the switch's function. The compressor now runs when connected to a battery period.

I really like the Safe Jack set up. It is compact and stable while still allowing versatility. There are things you can do with a Hilift that you are not going to accomplish with the safe jack kit, but it is my first choice for most field applications. I have a full review of it on my blog at https://familyoffthemap.com/2016/05/29/review-safe-jack/

veryactivelife said:
I think the air compressor choice gets a little tricky. You need to consider your tire size, what psi you run while on pavement and how much you'll be airing down. Your F350 probably is spec'd for 80 psi like my RAM2500. When I had a smaller compressor and was airing down a little to take the edge off on graded gravel roads it worked fine, although a little slow. My first trip to the beach it took 20 minutes per tire to get from 35 to 80 psi. Second time at the beach took them up to 60 psi just to get us home and ended up burning out the compressor. I then installed the ARB Twin 100% duty cycle, 6.61 CFM compressor and I'm so happy I did. Spendy, but no regrets.

Dean
A couple of questions Dean.

Did you go for the tankless one or the portable with the air tank? I believe the portable version is quicker but quite a bit more money for an already pricey accessory. How long does the ARB twin take to air up the tire to 80 if your old compressor took 20 minutes per tire?

I will be airing up from 35 psi to 80 as well and would prefer not waiting any longer than I have to to get back to the 70 - 80 range.

Thanks

I’ve got the Extreme Outback ExtremeAire compressor. It’s a little pricey but my truck is an f250 on 35s and heavy. Also have one of the kits from Safe Jack, the baseplate is great.

I have a Maasdam 4 ton bottle jack that fits in the OEM jack bracket on my '14 Tundra. I have a Viair 88P compressor. That being said I don't like using a bottle jack unless I'm on level pavement. I prefer using my 2ton aluminum racing jack that is stored where the rear seat used to be.

jack - 1 (3).jpg

ntsqd said:
As I posted in a recent thread we carry a small floor jack with the wheels replaced with a full length skid plate......
Occurs to me that a picture might be handy.

i-JN4q576-L.jpg

guys, thx for the pics of the floor jacks - good idea and more stable than a bottle.

the viair 100" duty models look good and are well regarded.

I went with a Puma (like DesertDave post 5) like that is an all in one - except hook ups - and that the tank is filing while I'm fussing with caps, gauges etc. Also useful for a blast of air to blow dust off the rear door etc. Have it semi permanent mounted when camper is on and powered by a fixed wire supply (OP would prob have room in service body) Using a quick connect I can remove and use as a portable with jumper cables. Air line is long at 37'.

OMw6pOh.jpg

As a fwiw I just did 2 tests. Start with air tank empty, portable hook up, fast motor idle, using 1/4" x 37' air line. Tires 35x11.5x18 (1 size up from stock). Tested 1 tire only.

Test 1: 35-70 psi = 5 mins 15 sec (I have never driven this low)
Test 2: 60-70 psi = 1 min 45 sec (typical gravel to pavement)

HTH

Back
Top Bottom