Building Our New Camper

Nicely done! My grandfather tried to teach me wood working as well as metal working, but I seem to be allergic to some wood's dust so I was disinclined to do much with it. Makes me envious of those who can craft wood into nice stuff.

I've ended up blocking our camper's front window with a layer of Reflectix. I've teased my wife about it enough to know that she's never going to wiggle thru it and the cab's rear window to build me a sammich while we're makin tracks. I think if I ever order a new camper that I'll just go without. I think that I'd go without a window in the door as well. Both are cold/heat/dirt/water leakage paths that I could do without.

chnlisle said:
I see you opted for a small front window. You might have explained why in an earlier post but I must have missed it.
Mr. Chnlisle, we went for the small window because we never used the slider in our first camper. On the cold evenings we would drape a quilt over the front wall of the camper, including the window, down from the bed area. This helped with keeping the camper nice and warm. A smaller window will do the same. It allowed me to put a permanent back rest in for the forward seat and was not an issue with the cabinet build. The ATC guys placed it just right so the fridge does not block it.

"So how many Wander the West members does it take to install a wave 3?" Ted was smiling as he held some lock washers and nuts in his hand, ready for when I needed them. The Teds had arrived mid morning. The Barking Spider family was close behind, complete with Mom and Little Spider. Prior to work we celebrated.

gallery_1902_710_13149.jpg

Ted provided a much appreciated, unexpected, and personally created treat for the occasion.

gallery_1902_710_39080.jpg

We celebrated. Yes, we did!

gallery_1902_710_99757.jpg

Bubbly was consumed. The big sugar cookie was ravaged with glee.

gallery_1902_710_85011.jpg

Then the camper games began.

gallery_1902_710_59901.jpg

We all worked on the wave 3. Barking took Little Spider home to finish studying for a college final tomorrow. He returned with his camper to get a group consensus on his idea of converting his camper into a side dinette. The camper was partially gutted before they left.

Another project............................................ :)

ski3pin said:
Everyone, thanks so much for the continuing nice comments on our project. It is very kind and much appreciated! :)
'3pin, my wife watches Downton Abbey. I wait for the next installment of your ATC build. You've done a great job, and it was nice that you shared it with us.

Did you break into the bubbly today? (edit: I see you posted the bubbly as I was typing. Congrats!!!)

Best Regards

ski3pin said:
"So how many Wander the West members does it take to install a wave 3?"

...snip...

Another project............................................ :)
2 questions and a comment- did the wave 3 ever get installed? And how many people can you fit in an ATC camper?

Diving into another project before the current one is finished is totally typical around our place. :)

Looks like a fun time and your project is turning out quite nicely. We too did the small window at the cab and it works well for seeing out the back. We stuff some reflectix in it for insulation at night when it is cold (do that for all the windows).

takesiteasy said:
2 questions and a comment- did the wave 3 ever get installed? And how many people can you fit in an ATC camper?

Diving into another project before the current one is finished is totally typical around our place. :)

Looks like a fun time and your project is turning out quite nicely. We too did the small window at the cab and it works well for seeing out the back. We stuff some reflectix in it for insulation at night when it is cold (do that for all the windows).
The wave 3 was installed and tested. I'll have photos in a short time. We could have easily tripled the number of people we had in the ATC. Probably would need to air up the tires some.

Barking's project should be fairly simple. Yeah, we've all heard that one before.

As we (Ted, Barking, and I) were working on the wave 3, making trips between the driveway and shop where the drill press lives, on a return trip to the camper Ted & I discovered the Lady lining the bottom of the cabinets and storage boxes and returning our camper stuff to drawers and bins. I got the message. She also said we needed to get the reflectix cut for the windows. That'll be tonight's project. :)

I am just now catching up on things and reading about your guys build out. It really does look sweet!! But what I really want to know is. Where are the skis and boots going? Did you guys build a special place to keep them nice and warm? It must have nice to dream about building your new camper and see it come to fruition. Congratulations!

Wu Wei said:
But what I really want to know is. Where are the skis and boots going? Did you guys build a special place to keep them nice and warm?
The skis go on the yakima rack. The scarpa liners go in the cubby hole under the sink and just above the heater. :)

Which reminds me of a question - what do people do with their wet parkas inside their campers? Has anyone installed hooks?

Nice build-out and congrats!

I use those 3M Hooks with Command Adhesive. You can stick em and remove without damaging your surfaces.

ski3pin said:
The skis go on the yakima rack. The scarpa liners go in the cubby hole under the sink and just above the heater. :)

Which reminds me of a question - what do people do with their wet parkas inside their campers? Has anyone installed hooks?

ski3pin said:

We found some stainless steel hooks made for wire shelving that slip over the plywood lifting panel over the door. They are about 3 inches long and work great for jackets. Put them there when needed after the top goes up. Otherwise they ride in the mesh storage pockets we made. We got four of them.

Screen shot 2013-12-16 at 7.09.07 PM.png

Nice looking build, I may have a few questions when I get a chance for some drawers i am looking at making. I gave up the tele gear for full on AT gear when I figured out the AT setup with full on wide skis, skins, etc. was enough lighter weight to make a difference for me. But I still miss the freeheelin' at times.....

Back
Top Bottom