Buyers regret?

For new buyers lurking or otherwise. There are many opinions here that are based upon predominate geographical usage. Some are also based upon options selected that effect other options.

For instance, my predominate usage is high lattitudes, so awnings aren't high on my priority list. Consequently, please take my comment with a grain of salt. Someone who has selected a compressor refer is going to want more solar and storage capacity. If your camper is going on a half ton then Added weight is more of a consideration, etc, etc.

All options herein are great depending upon your usage. Everything is a trade off based upon geographical usage, typical length of stay, weight, complexity to manage balanced agains available funds.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but I'm thinking there may be first time buyers listening in who might appreciate.

Naw, that is a good disclaimer Kispiox. We are very conservative driving, so if the road gets rough we walk or mountain bike so feel fine with stock suspension, etc. But others like to do more with 4WD and need to go other directions with campers and trucks. Always good to see the differences.

Great topic, Ron! Exactly what I'm looking for as I ponder my first pop-up camper.

Thanks, Dan

Happyjax said:
2nd the Warp drive and rootbeer:) Cloaking device could come in handy as well as a photon torpedo or two :)
Inertial dampeners for rough terrain.

Technically, shouldn't this be in the "options I'd like to see" thread?

JaSAn said:
Only use I have for the front sliding window is to clean the rear sliding window on the truck ( ditto truck sliding window to clean front camper window).
You can use the front sliding window to pass recreational substances back and forth when in Colorado.

Not a regret as much as an adjustment(?) I have a 2014 Hawk and ordered the rear LED floods. They are soooo freakin' bright that I am embarrassed to use them with anyone near me. They light up the whole dang campground! It's not often that you have too much light when camping, but this is one of those times.

However, the few times I have been all alone in the Nevada desert they are fantastic, although I do worry that aliens might mistake my camp for a landing zone.

So, maybe slightly less powerful lights for the rear, or dual wattage if there is such a thing?

I'll add a slight twist to this since I didn't get to order a new one but bought a used one instead. I did my homework and had a list of "must haves", "don't needs", and "would be nice if it had its"... After 2 years there are a few things I'd do different if I could. After sitting in a new Grandby and now having a dealer 27 miles from me, the thought of going new keeps dancing in the back of my mind.

- I'd get a front dinette instead of the rollover couch. With this arrangement, if you have to cook inside, there is more room or separation so you're not in each others way. You can actually use the table unlike the "table" that comes with the rollover. The swing table is a lot more comfortable to use and sit at. Weight is balanced better also since the fridge and sink/stove is split up and not all on one side. Storage appeared to about the same.

- I'd get a hot water heater for the convenience and for the outside shower. Much easier to do dishes and no need to pack a solar shower. Last trip there was no sun so no warm shower water...

- Solar is still a debate for me. I'd probably get the biggest system offered just because its a new build and it might be useful in some circumstances.

- front slider window is useless. I've never opened it.

This is a great topic!!
I have had all kinds of camping rigs!! I believe there is NEVER a perfect rig/camper combo!!
With that said I am very happy with my choice! Works great for me! I ordered every thing I wanted and it seems I have nothing to regret!
Awnings were never something I'd use...seems like the wind comes up where ever I am!
As for the table I saw that wouldn't work for me right off! So I had them leave it off and made up my own after a couple of trips!!
Camping for a life time I kinda knew what I wanted...I was able to pack it up and go go!!!
The two roof vents work very well...I think come warmer weather the fantastic fan will be worth every penny! LED lights are bright, glad there is the option for one or both bulbs on or off...
Solar is worth it for me, no roof rack my toys go in the trailer...

That is another one. I wish I had the rear LED lights. I am always getting my boat ready to go in the dark. The rear lights would have been awesome for getting stuff ready.

Yakima tracks and rear steps - they kind of go together and since I've never needed the tracks I don't need the steps.

For me (maybe not others), the factory solar install in 2012 was undersized to be of any value with a compressor fridge even with two batteries. I recently upgraded to 300 W and would not want to have less. I would have everything wired for solar, and then do it yourself with Renogy bendable panels. They are very light and flush to the roof which has the added advantage of reducing wind resistance and buffeting. It makes for a very clean install and once I figured everything out with the help of this forum, it was a 4 hour install.

Best buy was the flush stove and sink.

My camper is older, but was fully loaded at the time, furnace, fridge, front window, etc. I must be the only one that doesn't want a screen door. Takes at least an inch of interior room and I would have to cut the couch to fit. Too fragile for my taste as well. I have added some things, but no regrets with the factory lay out.

cwd

No screen door for me either, as it'd be just another thing to constrict ingress/egress in my situation. That said, I have given thought to someday replacing the camper door's fixed window with a single-hung screened version which might add a bit of air flow through the rear side of the camper.

RicoV said:
No screen door for me either, as it'd be just another thing to constrict ingress/egress in my situation. That said, I have given thought to someday replacing the camper door's fixed window with a single-hung screened version which might add a bit of air flow through the rear side of the camper.
Screen door doesn't impede ingress/egress because it attaches to the rear door so that they open and close as one unit. My only complaint about the screen door is that it is cumbersome to open/close because it lacks a handle, which is why I bought this:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/screen-door-cross-bar-white-handle/73230

I didn't think the screen door was an option on my 2015 Eagle. That said, I made a small screen for the sliding from window and with the screen door provides decent bug-free ventilation at 'knee' level.

Stalking Light said:
I didn't think the screen door was an option on my 2015 Eagle. That said, I made a small screen for the sliding from window and with the screen door provides decent bug-free ventilation at 'knee' level.
Assuming you meant "sliding front window", I'd be interested to understand how you did it. That is something I keep meaning to do, but my camper is rarely off of my truck so it seems to never get done. I've found the front window to be pretty worthless, however I always thought it it to be an excellent source of vent when in a frog strangler, except that is when critters are about. Anyway, if you have a good technique that doesn't involve duct tape, I'm all ears.

Only regret right now (since I haven't received the camper yet is the cash $$ :D) Started with a new shell and went to a fully load base model (furnace,fridge, hot water, shower) . Had the "if I add this, then I might as well add this " syndrome. Had shell previously so I know what I wanted.

Kispiox said:
Assuming you meant "sliding front window", I'd be interested to understand how you did it. That is something I keep meaning to do, but my camper is rarely off of my truck so it seems to never get done. I've found the front window to be pretty worthless, however I always thought it it to be an excellent source of vent when in a frog strangler, except that is when critters are about. Anyway, if you have a good technique that doesn't involve duct tape, I'm all ears.
Well. I did use a bit of Gorilla tape to hold the screen in place. I made a 13x17" one from a kit that just fit but I used some tape around the edges rather than removing it when I am driving. The kit came with expansion springs but I didn't try and see if I could make them work for this application.

super doody said:
Only regret right now (since I haven't received the camper yet is the cash $$ :D) Started with a new shell and went to a fully load base model (furnace,fridge, hot water, shower) . Had the "if I add this, then I might as well add this " syndrome. Had shell previously so I know what I wanted.
I've got a well equipped Hawk, so I have no regrets. There are a couple features missing that I wish it had.

We usually use our camper to explore during the day and then return to camp in the evening. I wish it had the rear L.E.D. floodlight. I've been using the porch light for a bit of illumination when backing into our campsite and it sort of works, but it's really dim. We usually camp in provincial parks and they tend to put a big boulder in each site so you don't hit the picnic table. So far, so good, but I'll be adding a flood light when I have time.

The other thing I would have liked is the side awning. Again, because we drive the camper daily, having a quick setup awning would be nice for those rainy days.

For those of you purchasing a camper and reading this thread for advise, few of us have mentioned that we regret "getting" the options. If you are on the fence I say go for it. I may never use the roof racks of rear steps, but I don't regret them being there. I usually hang a garbage bag on one of the rear steps. When it comes time for me to rig up a tarp, Im sure the roof racks will come in handy.

My only regret was not ordering the camper a week earlier. The weekend in between my leadtime discussion with the factory, and my visit to order it, they had a show. And the twenty campers they sold at the show doubled the leadtime to 12 weeks. I spent a lot more days in a tent last year than I'd originally planned.

Hah I also regret not ordering sooner! Shows every weekend! I was told 14 weeks but we'll see.

With my hard side camper I used the sliding front window all the time. When it was raining it was the only viable option for dry fresh air (side windows were sliders). However it was screened.

I also regret not ordering silver spur exterior, but to change it now would be $700 and it provides no functionality so I'm not doing it. I didn't order rear floods but I'm thinking about ordering a remote controlled led setup so I can mount them around the camper and control them with a key fob. Seems more functional to me.

Back
Top Bottom