Buyers regret?

Darn it. Mine was built in April of '14. You've got the new "painted" cabinets instead of the poopy wood grained looking melamine stuff? I don't know if it's a finish that I used to work with in kitchen cabinets called a thermofoil, at least back in the day 10 years or so. I'm not sure if it was more epoxy based, or was a baked on finish, but it was durable as could be hoped. I've got a number of rentals with that finish, and it's pretty bulletproof. oh well, forward progress is bueno...

Don't really need the roof racks but they do deflect branches a bit and save the aluminum skin on top. Bought mine used and they were on there.

Fallbrook said:
Darn it. Mine was built in April of '14. You've got the new "painted" cabinets instead of the poopy wood grained looking melamine stuff? <snip>
Poopy wood? Say it ain't so... I like my poopy wood... :LOL:

Some time ago before I ordered my hawk, I had read somewhere that FWC was using real birch plywood. What they didn't say was that it is plywood covered in fake wood tape. I was looking forward to real wood grains. I am happy that it's good quality plywood in the cabinetry. I just wood have preferred to see the real grain. The tape stuff looks fake.

Thanks to this thread I got almost every option so no regrets so far. Of course its only been two nights of uses.

The only I didn't get the are:

-solar, which I'll add soon but with battery for a weekend use and testing everything, I barely got down to 2/3 on the battery indicator

-lift struts but my camper is lift strut ready, and rear flood led

-rear flood which I can add at later time

Here are my thoughts from my other post:

-Very glad we went with the flush mount sink and stove. It acts a part working area/baby changing table
-Hot water and furnace were luxurious. Glamping to the max!. Need to take my daughter backpacking so she really experience camping.
-Side dinette is perfect seating for 3. The new lagun style table is awesome!
-Silver spur interior another good choice.
-Fiamma awning is super easy to deploy and very good quality.

Your problem, 100, if you haven't realized it yet, is that you are from the furniture state and have certain expectations related to wooden furniture. It's OK, Just expect that that certain preference for wood grain is hard to shake.

I'll give you a year or two before you have refinished the cabinets with cherry veneers with black walnut inlays. :p

Paul

PaulT said:
Your problem, 100, if you haven't realized it yet, is that you are from the furniture state and have certain expectations related to wooden furniture. It's OK, Just expect that that certain preference for wood grain is hard to shake.

I'll give you a year or two before you have refinished the cabinets with cherry veneers with black walnut inlays. :p

Paul
NC Furniture Show in Oct. Unfortunately, not open to public.

100acrehuphalump said:
My fathers hobby is fine wood working and cabinetry. We have a great shop here on the property. Maybe one day I'll coax him into redoing the cabinets in my hawk.
Yah... Seeing you bashed your brand new one, right on the corner by the heater

Does anyone regret getting the flush-mount stove? Or any stove at all? Here's my thinking:

If I get a stove, I want the flush-mount one so I have more usable counter space when I'm not using the stove...which will be almost all the time. That stove is worth a lot of gas money!

But how often do people actually cook full meals on their stove? I see three burner stoves in many campers, but the only time we use three burners at home is for big meals like Thanksgiving! I can't imagine we'd ever need three burners in a camper. Two burners? Maybe...but bacon and eggs are better in the same pan anyway. Something like spaghetti would be easier with two burners.

But I'm thinking it may be better just to get a single burner portable camp stove. Much cheaper, smaller, and I can take it outside when DW is still sleeping. It'll be plenty for morning coffee and quick meals. Still have full use of the counter.

I guess the real answer is that it depends on our style of camping, and we're not likely to cook fancy meals in the camper...but I'm looking for feedback from folks who either camp this way and wish they had gotten the stove, or who paid extra for the flush-mount stove and think it was a waste of money. Thoughts?

No mounted stove (or sink) for me. I use a backpacking stove (Pocket Rocket) for cooking (boiling water) inside and a Coleman stove/grill combo for cooking outside. I spend most of my time and do most of my cooking outside. Works well for me.

We've cooked inside a bunch of times since we seem to get rained on a lot. If you are more of a desert traveler then maybe an inside stove isn't such a big deal. After all, you can set your portable stove on the counter for those times when you really don't want to cook outdoors. We use our Coleman stove / grill combo with one burner and grill for our outdoor cooking. Pasta nights we cook inside regardless of conditions because it is just easier to oversee things on the two burner stove. We have the standard FWC stove.

Alan

Can't imagine not having the inside cooktop, even though we cook mostly outside. Being able to fix coffee/tea & hot cereal in morning without getting dressed, dragging camp stove out, setting up outside without a picnic table, etc.

I'd have to be fully awake to do that. ;) That's what the coffee was for!

Paul

While I cook allot outside, one of the reasons I bought the pop-up was for those days that was raining, snowing or just to uncomfortable outside to heat up that morning cup of coffee outside and face those elements. As an old back packer it sure is nice to heat up the water on the stove, put my cut-offs/robe on, dump the coffee in my meletta one cupper, then add the water, smell it all come together (all while staying dry and warm (heater too) and then go outside if i so desire and enjoy it---or sit on the couch and watch the snow come down :love: ! Reminds me a story when I first got the pop-up. and took it up to the lake for the first time. well as I was sitting outside enjoying a beer, a couple of friends stopped by to see my new rig and have a beer or two. and is the usual case up there a cold wind started up and we moved behind the truck to block the wind and sand, well the wind shifted again and we moved again! Then the light went off and being the retired gentleman I am I invited my friends and their two dogs (my Aust. Shep preferred the wind and elements to the inside word) for a beer in comfort as I turned on the heater-yep-we all agreed-the best of both worlds :D !

Smoke

Riverrunner said:
I'll add a slight twist to this since I didn't get to order a new one but bought a used one instead. I did my homework and had a list of "must haves", "don't needs", and "would be nice if it had its"... After 2 years there are a few things I'd do different if I could. After sitting in a new Grandby and now having a dealer 27 miles from me, the thought of going new keeps dancing in the back of my mind.

- I'd get a front dinette instead of the rollover couch. With this arrangement, if you have to cook inside, there is more room or separation so you're not in each others way. You can actually use the table unlike the "table" that comes with the rollover. The swing table is a lot more comfortable to use and sit at. Weight is balanced better also since the fridge and sink/stove is split up and not all on one side. Storage appeared to about the same.

- I'd get a hot water heater for the convenience and for the outside shower. Much easier to do dishes and no need to pack a solar shower. Last trip there was no sun so no warm shower water...

- Solar is still a debate for me. I'd probably get the biggest system offered just because its a new build and it might be useful in some circumstances.

- front slider window is useless. I've never opened it.
The front dinette table is handy because it is so adjustable. It swings around to offer space top either side foa a person to move out from the seat or to give room to crawl up into the bed. The height is also adjustable. The table is supported from underneath at a single, central point which causes any downward pressure on the edges of the surface to rack the support structure.. But the fancy grippers and the aluminum tubes that hold it up and also allow it to swing are not continuing to keep it stable. I think these moving parts are wearing out. The tubes show wear and the plastic grippers inside the union pieces don't seem to keep the table firm anymore (2014, Grandby) The design and functionality are wonderful - but it may require stronger components.

I regret not getting the factory lift assist, and I don't even have anything on the roof. My wife cannot lift the forward end of the camper. Otherwise, I am loving my Hawk.

Back
Top Bottom