Buyers regret?

DesertDave said:
My only regret was not ordering the camper a week earlier. The weekend in between my leadtime discussion with the factory, and my visit to order it, they had a show. And the twenty campers they sold at the show doubled the leadtime to 12 weeks. I spent a lot more days in a tent last year than I'd originally planned.
I thought the normal lead time is 12 weeks. I ordered my in late January. Completion date is 4/20

Last year in early March it was 6 weeks or a little longer, by the 21st it was 12 weeks due to a major uptick in sales.

I accepted the change by telling myself I would rather have it built right instead of fast. My impression of the factory management is they look at things the same way.

I have a close to loaded Hawk - The AC was great when it was really hot - I mostly used it when getting the camper ready in my driveway - it needs power to run - and when it's that nice out I do not want to be in the camper anyway. Now the AC won't work - and I have to find a replacement that fits or get a window installed. - I would not get the AC if I could do it again

I would pay extra for the flush mount appliance and the extra Fan

I am happy with my 3 way because it uses very little gas and I do not have to pay or have the added gadgetry that comes with solar and the extra battery

I use my shower all the time

I spent 8 years researching with owners about what worked and what didn't so the 2012 Eagle shell incorporated those suggestions as simple additions and only required 2 years of "tweaking" to finish it. :)

Best add-ons:
Engle top loading compressor fridge
Trimetric battery monitor
and the lightweight (4 pound) solar panel on the roof

I bought used and no regrets. I don't think there is anything similar to a K5 Blazer (walk through) anyway??? So, no choice, take what I find. Would be nice to have a taller ceiling. I have thought about having a custom "mudroom" made for the rear. Light vinyl or canvas with removable sides to use as an awning also. It would come in great when hunting. I could leave a few things outside. But we mostly we move from spot to spot.
A 3 way fridge would be nice. Michigan has plenty of showers and toilets in the big parks, lakes and steams in the rustics, so no shower needed. Admission is included on my registration. Just put gas in the hog and go....... which reminds me of my one regret, instead of going through the 350, with a vortec head conversion, a 4bt cummins would have been a better choice.
Oh well, we are going to enjoy just the same. Bad day camping, is better than a good day at work.

Happy trails and a safe season to all!!!

Good one Ron,
I just got back from maiden voyage, I picked up my camper at MLO on Thursday. My camper is pretty loaded, three years in the making before ordering in Nov. so I think I got it right. A few things to note, the screen door is standard for over a year, improved latch also and mine came with a solar plug in two locations and I only ordered it on the back wall. I was told they're all being made that way now.
I'm going to post some pictures and my option list in the near future. Unfortunately my canine camping buddy took seriously ill at the end of the trip and it's wait and see if the meds will work or not, so my time is limited right now.
However I'm very happy to report that FWC hit mine out of the park, everything came as I ordered, works great and was assembled perfectly.
Nice job FWC.

Really no regrets, got the base empty eagle shell and have added what I want. I get to have it my way at the lowest possible price.

This thread is really helpful for us folks still in the pre-order phase. Please keep it coming!

I've been following this and made a few comments of my own. My observation is that the one item nobody here regrets getting is the thermal-pac. I have it and it is in my book a a must have. No matter cold or hot it is a good thing to have. There is occasionally a zone of beautiful weather where it isn't needed but how often does that happen? Yes condensation does happen inside but it can easily be vented and dried. More on that in a second....

Mine is gray. It is a depressing color. Note to FWC,... I wish it were white or cream to match the color of the pop up and be as light as possible. A light color would make the interior seem larger and happier. Maybe FWC has changed the color now? If they have not and only grey is available, I'd suggest making your own. It isn't rocket science.

Okay now something that works in most conditions for venting and drying the dead air space in the thermal-pac. Peel back the inboard corners of the clear window and fold inside. Peel back like amount of the window cover and also fold inside, then close the thermal-pac Over the top so the screen is open inside of the thermal-pac. Do this for a an inside corner or corners on each side but inboard not at the ends.. Now kick in the Fan-tactic Vent to exhaust and pull air into the thermal layer and around to the ends of the camper. Close the door and other sources of air so the fan has to pull the air through and around to the ends of the thermal-pac. You also need to expose enough window that you don't load up the fan too much. This flow of air to the ends will dry the dead air space. Also, the sunny side requires less air flow.

I have a lot of, but not all, of the options that were available for my 2014 Hawk. First thing I'd say is get it if you think you'll want it. Here are a couple of notes from some of the options I ordered:
  • Ice box - I got rid of this early on and put in an Isothernm compressor refrig. Second best thing I added to the camper. Would have been easier to have ordered it from the factory.
  • Solar and plugs - I got both solar plugs, but opted not to get FWC's solar package. I felt it was too expensive and too small. I installed myself a 160 watt panel and think it's the best thing I've added to the camper.
  • Interior LED lights - A must IMO.
  • Exterior LED lights - I love the lights on the exterior, especially the four LEDs on the corner that shine down.
  • Flush Appliances - When closed the fully open and flat counter tops are great IMO.
  • Front sliding window - Great window to open for fresh air if it's raining outside or to use when it's hot in combination with the Fan-Tastic fan. You can create hurricane winds in the camper with both!
  • LED Flood Lights - Some think they'r worthless others love them. I personally love them and think they're great, but as it was stated before you can't use them in a campground. They will turn night into day!
  • Rollover Couch - For us, with two kids, the roll over couch is perfect. Upper bunk for us and the lower bunch for them.
  • Shower - Some folks probably camp near service and don't need this, but on my 2-3 week long hunting trips away from any type of service the shower is pretty nice.
  • Footsteps - Nice for hanging stuff. Haven't needed them for accessing the roof, but they looked way to hard to install later on so I opted for them.
Just my $0.02!

Bwht4x4 said:
I have a lot of, but not all, of the options that were available for my 2014 Hawk. First thing I'd say is get it if you think you'll want it. Here are a couple of notes from some of the options I ordered:
  • Ice box - I got rid of this early on and put in an Isothernm compressor refrig. Second best thing I added to the camper. Would have been easier to have ordered it from the factory.
  • Solar and plugs - I got both solar plugs, but opted not to get FWC's solar package. I felt it was too expensive and too small. I installed myself a 160 watt panel and think it's the best thing I've added to the camper.
  • LED lights - A must IMO.
  • Exterior LED lights - I love the lights on the exterior, especially the four LEDs on the corner that shine down.
  • Flush Appliances - When closed the open counter tops are great IMO.
  • Front sliding window - Great window to open for fresh air if it's raining outside or to use when it's hot in combination with the Fan-Tastic fan. You can create hurricane winds in the camper with both!
  • LED Flood Lights - Some think they'r worthless others love them. I personally love them and think they're great, but as it was stated before you can't use them in a campground. They will turn night into day!
  • Rollover Couch - For us, with two kids, the roll over couch is perfect. Upper bunk for us and the lower bunch for them.
  • Shower - Some folks probably camp near service and don't need this, but on my 2-3 week long hunting trips away from any type of service the shower is pretty nice.
  • Footsteps - Nice for hanging stuff. Haven't needed them for accessing the roof, but they looked way to hard to install later on so I opted for them.
Just my $0.02!
What was the first best thing?

For hanging wet clothes, I run a clothes line from the rear jacket bracket to the front jacket bracket.

Sorry, I meant to put in the "Solar and plugs" bullet that it was the best thing. The ability run to indefinitely on just solar is awesome. The only thing that forces me back to town is more food and water.

We love our 2014 Fleet. It's got a few issues, but nothing big enough to suck too badly, and there doesn't seem to be anyone better on the market without getting silly custom and spending mega bucks. We've probably used ours more in six months than most do in six years, with 85 nights in it since we bought it used in October, 2014. Overall, a hell of a concept. I'm not a show offy kind of guy, and people downright stare. We've had people walk in the bar and holler out asking whose rig is outside. Stock truck with a neato little camper, but being in south Florida and the keys on vacation for 8 weeks saved us probably $6 or 7k on hotels, just this year. Hell, motel 6 in Denver is $65 a night. Wow. This is the dream rig for a previous decade long flippac guy. Going back seems like giving up the smartphone or air conditioning. Why would I?

I'm thinking I read that FWC changed from the crappy wood looking laminate finish inside to a thermofoil style paint...damn do I wish for that. Ours is really getting beat up, we USE our stuff (but treat it well!), and the high level of wear and tear is really not very cool. We had to use a mattress topper, but read they changed the godforsaken mattress, too. Wish we had the rear steps as we have racks (standing on the tire with her pushing on my butt to keep me there might sound like a prelude to some romance, but not so much), and wish we had the LED floods on the back. We LOVE the compressor fridge, but we are glad we did our own solar. The 80 watts available at the time from FWC might be enough for June 10th through July 4th sun angles, but the 270 watts we have is amazing and works great all year, especially for our long florida trips. Trying to hide an extension cord when plugged into the city park gazebo sucks. There is almost no such thing as too many watts, and once you're doing it, tripling the capacity isn't that much more expensive. Think fridge, fantastic fan, and furnace...they use lots of power if you like comfort. We like the inside to have that new camper smell, not the smell of my sweaty hairy areas.We can tell you ad nauseum from experience, worrying about power really sucks. FWC should ditch the silly small panel and offer something that is worth something. DO NOT waste your money on theirs. Front Dinette rocks. Front opening window allows us to leave the pups in the truck and let them in when we're ready. Same for kicking them out in the morning and they're in the way. We have a fantastic fan in the back (make sure you get at least one!) and have yet to use the camper in the summer, but one over the bad probably (two total?) would have made more sense (we did do a few 75 degree nights/85 degree days in the keys). At least we should have gotten a hatch so we could reverse the rear fan and air would come in. We could simply not live without our outside shower and water heater/water pump system. There's no difference in mpg or truck handling with the extra weight. We urban boondock a fair amount, or we're up in the Colorado mountains, and if I don't have a shower, I whine like a little girl. Truthfully, they really whine a bit less than me with stinky swimsuit areas. Furnace is a must, but one of those single bottle catalytic heaters would do almost as well if you're running a tight budget. Same for a Zodi shower, I suppose, if you had a water tank. It would be easy to rig something cool up, we used it a lot with our flippac. Oh, get the lift strut (outside) things!

Ultimately, we're pretty convinced we scored. Half price on a less than a year old unit from a smart purchaser who set it up right can be done. We've seen a half dozen of them, especially in the winter months.

It's a great life.

Fallbrook,

Have you discovered this thread on collapsible ladders? Might get some ideas there.

Open a bed window some and run the fantastic fan blowing out and get some cross ventilation. Wow! 85 nights in the winter months.

Paul

Thanks Paul! I was just talking to the boss lady today about getting some kind of fold up ladder...She can kind of hop up on the roof of the truck every once in a bit, but it doesn't look too safe to me! Since we installed the solar, we do try to keep it fairly clean, and tying down kayaks would just be sooooo much easier.

We've experimented a bit with the fan and opening windows, but an extra one blowing on us while we're sleeping may have proven unnecessary, but it'd be nice to try out.

We have squeezed in a bunch this year, perhaps a bit too much. Winter is my slow season, and it's been a few years since we've taken a really good trip. The majority were above 50 degrees, but we did a few dozen below freezing, with 5 or six below or right at zero. Gets kind of chilly, and taught us the wisdom of the two tank propane system. Until one procrastinates...:)

Dan

Fallbrook said:
We love our 2014 Fleet. It's got a few issues, but nothing big enough to suck too badly, and there doesn't seem to be anyone better on the market without getting silly custom and spending mega bucks. We've probably used ours more in six months than most do in six years, with 85 nights in it since we bought it used in October, 2014. Overall, a hell of a concept. I'm not a show offy kind of guy, and people downright stare. We've had people walk in the bar and holler out asking whose rig is outside. Stock truck with a neato little camper, but being in south Florida and the keys on vacation for 8 weeks saved us probably $6 or 7k on hotels, just this year. Hell, motel 6 in Denver is $65 a night. Wow. This is the dream rig for a previous decade long flippac guy. Going back seems like giving up the smartphone or air conditioning. Why would I?

I'm thinking I read that FWC changed from the crappy wood looking laminate finish inside to a thermofoil style paint...damn do I wish for that. Ours is really getting beat up, we USE our stuff (but treat it well!), and the high level of wear and tear is really not very cool. We had to use a mattress topper, but read they changed the godforsaken mattress, too. Wish we had the rear steps as we have racks (standing on the tire with her pushing on my butt to keep me there might sound like a prelude to some romance, but not so much), and wish we had the LED floods on the back. We LOVE the compressor fridge, but we are glad we did our own solar. The 80 watts available at the time from FWC might be enough for June 10th through July 4th sun angles, but the 270 watts we have is amazing and works great all year, especially for our long florida trips. Trying to hide an extension cord when plugged into the city park gazebo sucks. There is almost no such thing as too many watts, and once you're doing it, tripling the capacity isn't that much more expensive. Think fridge, fantastic fan, and furnace...they use lots of power if you like comfort. We like the inside to have that new camper smell, not the smell of my sweaty hairy areas.We can tell you ad nauseum from experience, worrying about power really sucks. FWC should ditch the silly small panel and offer something that is worth something. DO NOT waste your money on theirs. Front Dinette rocks. Front opening window allows us to leave the pups in the truck and let them in when we're ready. Same for kicking them out in the morning and they're in the way. We have a fantastic fan in the back (make sure you get at least one!) and have yet to use the camper in the summer, but one over the bad probably (two total?) would have made more sense (we did do a few 75 degree nights/85 degree days in the keys). At least we should have gotten a hatch so we could reverse the rear fan and air would come in. We could simply not live without our outside shower and water heater/water pump system. There's no difference in mpg or truck handling with the extra weight. We urban boondock a fair amount, or we're up in the Colorado mountains, and if I don't have a shower, I whine like a little girl. Truthfully, they really whine a bit less than me with stinky swimsuit areas. Furnace is a must, but one of those single bottle catalytic heaters would do almost as well if you're running a tight budget. Same for a Zodi shower, I suppose, if you had a water tank. It would be easy to rig something cool up, we used it a lot with our flippac. Oh, get the lift strut (outside) things!

Ultimately, we're pretty convinced we scored. Half price on a less than a year old unit from a smart purchaser who set it up right can be done. We've seen a half dozen of them, especially in the winter months.

It's a great life.
Very entertaining review Fallbrook. Can you provide more details on why the FWC electrical panel was inferior and what you upgraded to?

It's not anything about the electrical panel, I think that FWC does a really decent job with that, meaning the breakers, main shut off, switches and such. Zero complaints or even real thoughts for improvement there.

Solar stuff including the rooftop panel and the charge controllers is what I'm referring to. The 80 or 90 watt solar panel might be enough for guys with the propane fridge, but once you've moved to a compressor fridge with two batteries and a healthy 200+ watt solar system, you'd never look at propane again. I know, once you dial them in they're pretty good, but I like set and forget (I know, the old timers that drain their water heaters every six months love and tinkering and will happily argue why these new fangled machines are nothing compared to their ol 57 chevy, and they'll take their doggone 3 way any day!). I leave the daily complex thoughts and rolling of the dice to keeping my lovely wife happy. If she behaves and is good, maybe she'll get herself a porta potty this Christmas. Don't wanna spoil her too much, dammit.

FWC seems like a neat company and they've got to make a buck, but two or three levels of solar options seem like it would be the right thing for them to create some additional revenue (although the lead time will be a damn year if they implement all of our ideas), and for their customers who choose the super doper most amazing fridge ever. I also vote for a built in kegerator.

Yay for Spring!

Dan

Fallbrook said:

It's a great life.
My 2014 HAS THE NEW WOOD CABINETS.

Back
Top Bottom