Can't Get AC Power

camper rich

We are at an RV park in Yuma with our new Grandby before crossing into Baja. When I plugged my 30 amp cord into the 30 amp receptical at the park, it worked fine for a while, but after moving and returning I plugged in again and there was a spark like there was a load on it but nothing was on. We were able to use the AC plug before as there was a green LED on the plug. Now it flashes red once and goes dark, and there is no AC power coming in. I have reset the 30 amp breaker and the breaker on the rv park post but all I get is that little red flash and a flash at the plug.

Any ideas on what to do next? I am taking my generator along, but I don't know if I will be able to charge my batteries with it if there is a problem in the AC circuit.

Rich

A spark at the outlet when plugging in is "normal" meaning it is not unusual. If you have checked all the fuses and reset ...I am not sure ...if not resolved...using a generator is a good idea. I'd get the AC circuit up first.

+2 with Mr. Sage. We also have a surge protector plugged into the RV 30amp. Once we are plugged in we turn on the switch at the RV post. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

As a best practice, always flip the breaker off on the campground end. Plug everything in and then turn the breaker on.

I just tried the whole thing again. This time shuting off both the camper 30 amp CB and the RV 30 amp, and then turning on the RV CB first and then the camper, and then turning on the camper first and then the RV. Either way I get a momentary red LED and then nothing. No it is not wet out, dry as a bone. Again, solar is working perfectly.

I'll call FWC tomorrow, maybe they can help.

veryactivelife said:
As a best practice, always flip the breaker off on the campground end. Plug everything in and then turn the breaker on.
Thank you veryactivelife, I will follow your advice in the future.

camper rich said:
I just tried the whole thing again. This time shuting off both the camper 30 amp CB and the RV 30 amp, and then turning on the RV CB first and then the camper, and then turning on the camper first and then the RV. Either way I get a momentary red LED and then nothing. No it is not wet out, dry as a bone. Again, solar is working perfectly.

I'll call FWC tomorrow, maybe they can help.
Check your master 12v power switch. Try pushing it in and then pulling it back out just to make sure it didn't get bumped in your troubleshooting.

Paul

Can you try another circuit at the RV park? The neighboring parking space or something like that...

Trouble shooting is always try the simpler first. Your camper may be fine but their outlet is not.

Bill

I had same issue recently. My setup normally was to use the standard 110VAC plug from my 30amp connector on the FWC. This particular location did not like their GFI outlet matching to mine. A neighbor camper said that is often the case. Luckily he had an adapter the went from the standa plug back to the bigger 30amp. So I was able to use the other outlet and worked fine. I now carry one of those adapters just in case.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/Mighty-Cord/A10-3015AVP.html

Camper Rich,
Had I known about the adapter that XJINTX I would have bought one. Instead I purchased a 15'-20' 30amp extension cord. I also purchased a 30amp surge protector. I also have a 50amp pigtail. I've read stories about RV shorepower posts not working or causing problems to the electrical system in the camper. The first thing I do is make sure the breaker is off at the post and get everything plugged in before turning the power on at the post.

At home I have a small protector bar for the garage. I plug everything in and flip the switch to on and no problems. Plugging the cord into the GFI outlet resulted in a spark and actually blew the GFI, which I discovered later and re-set. Now with the small garage surge protector no problems. jd

We are totally new to RV camping and hookups. Is the outlet on the RV power post usually a 30 amp type or a 15 amp type? My camper only came with a 30 amp female to 15 amp male pigtail. Sorry for the hijack...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2thdr said:
We are totally new to RV camping and hookups. Is the outlet on the RV power post usually a 30 amp type or a 15 amp type? My camper only came with a 30 amp female to 15 amp male pigtail. Sorry for the hijack...
Hey doc,

Most RV parks with power have both 30 and 15 amp outlets at the sites. Occasionally, you'll just see 50 amp along with the 15. These are for the big boys with large motor homes and travel trailers. For the odd time that you find there is only a 30 (or 50) amp service, an adapter is handy. I prefer the dog bone (shape) style because it's easier to get your extension cord plugged in/disconnected.

That said, I typically use a surge protector hooked to the 30 amp, with the adapter to 15 amp, just for the added safety. It's probably overkill, but since I have one, I use it. They will also let you know if the RV hookup is ok, before you plug your cord in.

camper rich said:
We are at an RV park in Yuma with our new Grandby before crossing into Baja. When I plugged my 30 amp cord into the 30 amp receptical at the park, it worked fine for a while, but after moving and returning I plugged in again and there was a spark like there was a load on it but nothing was on. We were able to use the AC plug before as there was a green LED on the plug. Now it flashes red once and goes dark, and there is no AC power coming in. I have reset the 30 amp breaker and the breaker on the rv park post but all I get is that little red flash and a flash at the plug.

Any ideas on what to do next? I am taking my generator along, but I don't know if I will be able to charge my batteries with it if there is a problem in the AC circuit.

Rich
Have you tried to reset the GFI on the outlet in the camper?

I have solved the problem. I thought I had reset the GFCI, but apparently I didn't push it in hard enough. Once I did, it works as it is supposed to. Chock it up to my learning curve. There have been a lot of other really good suggestions. We are going to purchase a 30 amp surge protector. We already have the 15 to 30 amp converter plug as I had to buy that from the RV park as they only have 30 and 50 amp plugs.

Thanks to all, Rich

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Hey doc,

Most RV parks with power have both 30 and 15 amp outlets at the sites. Occasionally, you'll just see 50 amp along with the 15. These are for the big boys with large motor homes and travel trailers. For the odd time that you find there is only a 30 (or 50) amp service, an adapter is handy. I prefer the dog bone (shape) style because it's easier to get your extension cord plugged in/disconnected.

That said, I typically use a surge protector hooked to the 30 amp, with the adapter to 15 amp, just for the added safety. It's probably overkill, but since I have one, I use it. They will also let you know if the RV hookup is ok, before you plug your cord in.
Thanks Sage...Good advice. Is the RV park outlet male? To use one of these:

http://www.adventurerv.net/camco-power-grip-dogbone-adapter-30f-amp-15m-amp-p-2746.html

The power poles at RV parks have female receptacles. That looks like one that would go on the RV itself, where the 15 amp goes to an extension cord. Much like the pigtail that came with your hawk.

Is there a person who could photo these two different adaptors? I was given an AC plug with the Eagle (2011) ....I did not know one needs another amperage? Do they look the same?

Thank you Camper Rich for sharing your experience and lesson learned and for all of the advice from old hands.
Can anyone recommend a particular surge suppressor from a reliable manufacturer?
A quick search shows that there a bunch of 30A units available ranging in price from about $50-$300 with a range of features.

Back
Top Bottom