Carrizo Plain Wildflowers 2017

RandyP

Advanced Member
A place holder and discussion starting point for a spring trip this year to the Carrizo Plain.
I will edit this post as planning develops.

March 31 update:

Just got back from the Carrizo late last night (Thursday).
Roads are all dry and passable. Elkhorn Plain road has beeen bladed with a bull dozed.
Hurricane Road over the Temblors is in good shape.
One of the roads across the valley floor is posted Road Closed, but it is dry and should be opened.
There are two road graders and a rubber tired roller Parked at the south end of soda alke road. The county of SLO has done some work on the south end of Soda Lake road and may do more, it could use some more smoothing out. Everything is green.

The wild flowers are in full bloom. Goldfield ground cover on part of the valley floor and many of the Temblor Range mountain surfaces. Tidy tips, poppies, facilia and some desert candles. Saw a few Baby Blue Eyes also along the Soda Lake road near the boardwalk parking area.

Selby campground was full by 3:30, and KCL was full at 4:30 when I drove thru there.

The boondocking spot near LE Traver ranch looks good, goldfields and lots of grass.

It's time to go and see th Carrizo, right now. Lots of people out there.
No rain predicted, but if it does rain the dirt roads can become a challenge to two wheel drive vehicles.

Hey Randy, I've been wanting to get out there myself, just waiting for it to stop raining for at least five days in a row. Should be a really good year.

Probably a late April / May trip would allow for needed drying of the Plain. Only time will tell. I should be out there March 18th with a local 4wd club for an early look at any wildflowers that might be in bloom.

We are thinking about going down either the 22nd or the 29th for a couple of days. Waiting to see some reports.

We plan to go real soon but will probably hit Anza Borrego first since they are in full bloom right now

BobM raises a good point. Does anyone have a link to a site that shows the Carriza plain wildflowers in real (or close to real) time?

gaylon said:
BobM raises a good point. Does anyone have a link to a site that shows the Carriza plain wildflowers in real (or close to real) time?
I am also watching Desert Wildflower Reports. Hope to see some pictures soon. Last report was 3-3-17 but no pictures. Sorry I don't think there is a webcam at Carrizo.

I am thinking about going down this weekend and scouting around, since I have never been there. I am looking at the last weekend in March for a slightly longer trip there.

Tuff Guy 62 said:
I'll be out on the plain for sure on the weekend of the 25th. I'll probably overnight out there at last year's spring rally boondock site.
Where was that? Do you have coords?

Back
Top Bottom