Carrizo Plain Wildflowers 2017

We were there on Thursday and Friday nights last week (3/30 and 3/31) for the last two nights of a 25 day trip through SoCal deserts including DV, Mojave NP, JT and Anza Borrego. There were certainly more flowers at Carrizo than we have ever seen before in several trips to the area and also exponentially more people. We spent all of our time up in the Padrone Canyon area where we saw one other camper on Friday. Quite a few more vehicles than in the past though driving around. After all of our nights in the deserts, it was pretty amazing how wet it could get at night closer to the ocean... coldest nights of our trip with frost one morning. The flowers were certainly worth the stop! I could see the display lasting another two weeks easily but would try to avoid weekends. We saw a couple of hundred vehicles on the way out of the plain on Saturday.

Attachments

• 2017_03_31_7653 (Small).JPG
    2017_03_31_7653 (Small).JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 87
Bummer on the crowds, but then again, we are part of them. As much as we (I) don't like crowds, is good to see others enjoying and appreciating the outdoors, as long as they don't trash it. We are going up to stay in the caretakers house next weekend. Looking forward to it.

Yep, with almost 40 million now residing in California, crowds in our natural areas is becoming the norm.

We're heading back to the Carrizo this weekend. Rain is predicted for Friday w/showers Saturday morning followed by cooler (35F) night time temps. We're hoping that will put a bit of a damper for visitation.

I really like to visit the plain in October, no wild flowers, but also no people. Perfect weather, you can spend days out there that time of year and cross paths with only a few vehicles.

National weather service
CArrizo Plain (Friday at noon predictions)

This AfternoonA 40 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 66. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
TonightRain. Low around 46. South south west wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

SaturdayA chance of rain before 11am, then a slight chance of showers after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 57. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 10 to 20 mph becoming north northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday NightMostly clear, with a low around 38. North northwest wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

SundaySunny, with a high near 62. North northeast wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Sunday NightMostly clear, with a low around 37.

MondaySunny, with a high near 66.

Monday NightMostly clear, with a low around 44.

TuesdayMostly sunny, with a high near 68.

Tuesday NightMostly clear, with a low around 46.

WednesdaySunny, with a high near 69.

Wednesday NightA slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49.

ThursdayA chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 65. Breezy.

The rain should extend the wild flower loom, moderate daytime temps will also help. A little rain settles the dust and may not effect the road surfaces enough to make them impassable.

I was out there Wednesday and the Temblor range west side slopes were covered with wild flowers brilliant in color as viewed from the elk horn road.

Went out this past weekend. Weather was good, but there were a lot of folks out and about and some quasi-traffic jams on Simmler Road and Elkhorn Road near Wallace Creek.

The bloom is definitely peaking and is much better than last year. The west flank of the Temblor Range from Wallace Creek down to Panorama Road is in full bloom and is very spectacular right now. Also the west side of the valley north of Traver Ranch up against the Caliente Range is very good. I suggest a weekday visit this week to catch the peak. I suspect the bloom will be pretty much spent in about two to three weeks at the most.

I'll post some pics tonight once we have a chance to download.

Can't top the pronghorn photo, but at Tuff Guy's urging we did go out to the Carrizo yesterday and had a great day. While we did not encounter the traffic jams of last weekend, there were an incredible number of "flower folks" out there for a Tuesday.

Attachments

• Landscape #1.jpg
    Landscape #1.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 69
Missing Link said:
One more.
Thanks Richard what great flower colors.
On Tuesday nights NBC news they had two shots from the space station of the Carrizo,
one during no flowers and a current one with all the flower color. They didn't mention the place name though.
Amazing to see that from outer space.
Frank

I've only been to Carrizo once and while it was not in bloom it was still very impressive. Sure wish I could sneak up there for a quick trip but my schedule right now won't allow it. Thanks to all who share their wonderful photographs and stories.

Back
Top Bottom