Carrizo Plain Wildflowers 2017

Just arrived in Anza Borrego today. Lot's of flowers. Can't wait until tomorrow morning when they are all open

billharr said:
Nice pictures, but you need to slow it down just a little. Could get dizzy they change so fast.
Not to worry, I'm currently uploading a much better slideshow to YouTube. Lot's more photos. Longer view times and better music. Will post soon

Sorry about the android slideshow earlier. Here's a much better version to give you an idea about the wildflowers in Borrego Springs right now.

I also picked a more soothing soundtrack.

Next stop, we'll be going to the Carrizo Plain to see the wildflowers there.

Now we're talking ....that was a fine show and I wish I could have been there to see it first hand. The sound track was definitely more suited to flowers... They are ...well... flowers and like soothing music. Thanks for the re-print!

We left Saturday morning because so many people came. Cars were lined up for miles.

Nicely done. Thanks for putting the slide show together and sharing with all of us.

Here in Indiana about the best bloom we will get in the spring is the dandelion bloom. jd

We visited the Carizza plain this weekend. It was a great trip to a place I'd never visited. There were very few flowers in full bloom, but I was shocked at the shear number of flower buds ready to open up. It is going to be spectacular in two to three weeks, maybe sooner...

Any ideas when it will be a good time to go? We were going to go this week but with the forecasted rain and this last report of buds only, looks like we should wait.

Durango1 said:
From what I understand NOT on the weekend! :)
Very true the weekends are crowded during the bloom and the only two campgrounds (first come/first served) are usually full.

Crowded by definition for the Carrizo is relative, since the place is usually deserted. Weekends can be busy but not overrun. Plenty of area to spread out and boondock away from others to enjoy the typical solitude of the plain.

We're hoping to get out there the 25th but we'll wait and see on the weather. If I don't get there then, I'll have to wait till the weekend of April 8/9, cause I'll be out bashing on rocks w/ some of my geology buddies down in the Mecca Hills the 31st through the 3rd.

Were there this weekend. Both campgrounds were full. Selby hasn't gotten any more appetizing with age. We bivouac camped by my wife noting that "there's always a road at these cattle-guards!" so we slowed at the next one and sure enough......

Two of her pics:

i-SmMdthT-L.jpg

i-WzZHC7s.jpg

My wife and I returned from the Colorado River near Blythe March 13 where we joined the Desert Explorers for their Rondy, the weather was warm, wildflowers and grass in the desert. A good time was had by all. Unfotunately I got the flue on the way home and am gust recovering from it today. Nasty stuff. Missed trip to Carrizo Plain last weekend the 18 th. But plan to drive out here this weekend if it is not raining. When all those blooms pop, the tidy tips, baby blue eyes, gold fields, California asters, brittle bush, Indian paint brush, desert candles, owls clover, blue dicks, lupen, larkspur, and yucca are going to be spectacular. Will report back any findings.
RandyP

Looking forward to your report, long drive for us. We are locked into the 29th because of other obligations and reservations at Yosemite the following week. Please include what shape the roads are in. Which campground is better?

RandyP said:
My wife and I returned from the Colorado River near Blythe March 13 where we joined the Desert Explorers for their Rondy, the weather was warm, wildflowers and grass in the desert. A good time was had by all. Unfotunately I got the flue on the way home and am gust recovering from it today. Nasty stuff. Missed trip to Carrizo Plain last weekend the 18 th. But plan to drive out here this weekend if it is not raining. When all those blooms pop, the tidy tips, baby blue eyes, gold fields, California asters, brittle bush, Indian paint brush, desert candles, owls clover, blue dicks, lupen, larkspur, and yucca are going to be spectacular. Will report back any findings.
RandyP
Hey Randy

We're going to head down there this weekend ourselves. Weather report is just encouraging enough to take a shot at it. Looks like less than .05" predicted for the early AM on Saturday. I figure that Panorama & Simmler Roads are probably impassable at this time.

We're hoping that the Missing Links will also be joining us out there this weekend. If the weather holds we're planning on boondocking at the usual place. We'll probably be at Reyes Station around 9:00AM on Saturday. Reports indicate that the early bloom is concentrated in the south end of the plain right now. Hoping the bloom will hold for a few weeks, if so, we'll probably return the weekend of April 8/9. Hope to see you and other fellow WtW'ers out there.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom