Coffee maker?

I agree about the "finer grind", as Aeropress recommends....
But speaking of recommendations, isn't 3 minutes waaaay longer than Aeropress recommends? Too long → "over-extraction" → excess bitterness.

If your priority is the best tasting coffee possible then you're going to have to use more coffee (beans) per cup. If you contact the water with more coffee for less time then you'll get strong good-coffee flavor without over-extraction which pulls bad-tasting stuff from the beans. If you read all the background/theory stuff about Aeropress, that's why they recommend the use of significantly-lower-than-212°F water at a very short contact time -- to avoid over-extraction.

I'm not saying you should do that or that I always do that, but that's the recommendation of coffee experts...and it makes sense to this chemical engineer.
wink.gif

With my home roasts, the three minutes results in a cup my taste buds like. Maybe with a darker roast it would be too bitter? Sounds like an experiment.

With my home roasts, the three minutes results in a cup my taste buds like.

Well, taste buds don't lie!
biggrin.gif

I'm still happy with my Bialetti. Besides, it doesn't matter how or what you do if you add enough baileys :p

I'm still happy with my Bialetti.

Craig- So, a Bialetti is a stove-top espresso maker of some sort?
I found these shopping images at the top of a Google search:

bialetti-1.JPG

You have one of these?

View attachment 13805

You have one of these?

I saw the $19 one at Bed Bath Beyond when I was picking up the Aeropress. I almost bought that instead. It looked very interesting and simple. Just a percolator, but grinds go in between the top half and the bottom half. Guess you have to see it, really.

The Bialetti brand has loosely become the de facto name for a moka - like kleenex is to tissue paper.
The coffee it makes is similar in taste to espresso in that water and steam under pressure is forced up through the grind quickly.
The ratio of coffee to water is high. Quality, dark roasted coffee with a fine grind is key.

However, it isn't espresso - the steam/water pressure is much higher with espresso machines.

Anywho, we use a Bialetti - fast and clean up is easy. This year I think we will take the press along too. Makes a damn nice cuppa.

Here's a few items I use for making coffee, I have a much smaller french press for the camper that I posted earlier. Allthough I don't bring the espresso maker in the background, it's a great Machine. It's a Rancillio Silvia and the Rancillio Rock JR. burr grinder. This system has been making me perfect espresso for the last 10+ years:
coffee.JPG

Here's a few items I use for making coffee, I have a much smaller french press for the camper that I posted earlier. Allthough I don't bring the espresso maker in the background, it's a great Machine. It's a Rancillio Silvia and the Rancillio Rock JR. burr grinder. This system has been making me perfect espresso for the last 10+ years:
View attachment 13806

And to think Dirty Dog swears by instant.
rolleyes.gif

I never met an instant I liked until my son, who was working at Starbucks to put himself through school, insisted we take some of their VIA on a canoe trip. I warned him I would be very grumpy if it wasn't up to snuff. Reluctantly, I had to admit it wasn't bad. Still, I'll stick with my French press for a while yet.

View attachment 13805

You have one of these?

Aye, the moka express. Not really a percolator either. Once the water is boiled and forced through the coffee its done.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, and this is my first post after lurking for a while, but you may be interested. Sierra trading post has the bialetti 12 cup moka on sale today for $21.97 with the coupon code DBE73147. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~bialetti/?perPage=96

Not bad for an $85 coffee pot.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, and this is my first post after lurking for a while, but you may be interested. Sierra trading post has the bialetti 12 cup moka on sale today for $21.97 with the coupon code DBE73147. http://www.sierratra...tti/?perPage=96

Not bad for an $85 coffee pot.

Welcome to WTW, and good job on your first post!
Thanks for the tip and coupon code, just ordered one.
smile.gif

And the sale is already over. I thought about picking up a spare. Oh well. My only gripe about my Moka is its kind a pain to clean.

And the sale is already over. I thought about picking up a spare. Oh well. My only gripe about my Moka is its kind a pain to clean.

Craig I use this type all the time,but I cut small circles of coffee filter paper to fit over the coffee basket and all comes clean no muss no fuss.
Frank

You can buy paper filters for the old fashioned percolators. They work very well, but are not cheap $.

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Coffee-Filters-Percolators-40-Count/dp/B000GHI7FM

~DR

You can buy paper filters for the old fashioned percolators. They work very well, but are not cheap $.

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Coffee-Filters-Percolators-40-Count/dp/B000GHI7FM

~DR

I just buy a box of cheep Melitta coffee filters and get 2 circles on each filter plus it's double so 4 circles.A box will last many years.
Frank

Actually its cleaning the rubber gasket that I find to be the worst part. The rest is just wiping with a paper towel. I did finally do a thorough cleaning a couple weeks ago. I love having a wire wheel on my grinder.

I've tried several french press's many times. Great flavor butt not a fan of the last few swallows where you get the heavy sediment. Never seam to get the grind right.
My favorite is still the manual drip(pour thru a paper filter holder). I like the porcelain holders over the plastic and brown paper vs white. Starbucks has a great 4 cup holder for $10. Speaking of Starbucks, when I camp their instant is pretty tasty and the ease can't be beat.

Still have my old Melita one cup filter drip-just change the coffee type/brand when I want a change. The only problem is having someone stop by for a cup at the FWC and having to fill the coffee cups one at a time. I do have a nice glass coffee pot that I could use, but it's buried and I always forget where! Antisipation makes for a better cup of coffee anyway:LOL:!

Smoke

I believe I have posted this before but my opinion has only grown since. This is such a sweet setup for on the road java. Bialetti stainless steel, stovetop espresso. Various sizes, I got mine from Amazon. Indestructible, easy clean up and no paper filters to deal with. Just open the door and give the coffee holder a fling and you launch the used ground plug to the sagebrush.... ;)
I really enjoy the aspect of prepping the evening before and just sticking my arm out of bed to turn burner on, this combined with hitting the furnace thermostat and soon I have a warm camper and hot espresso for those pre-dawn photo sessions.

gallery_2596_386_41986.jpg

Back
Top Bottom