Coffee maker?

All this talk of "Cowboy Coffee" brings back the memories of a friend of mine (a fellow army vet) from those dark years of the late 60's when we were both trying to go to school on the $130.00 a month we got on the GI Bill. He'd make a pot of Cowboy Coffee on a Sunday and keep using the same grounds and just add some more water to the pot each day until it really was undrinkable; as a clincher, he usually made a pot of cowboy beans/chile to go with it. By Thursday or so, you had a mighty fine meal :oops: ! By the way, he eventually gave up coffee and started drinking green tea, but he got his MA. Today, I'll just take my Melitta single cup of good ground coffee in the morning :D and be happy

Smoke.

http://www.campsaver.com/java-drip
This is what we use. Boil water and pour through filter on top. Container is insulated so it keeps coffee warm for a bit. Comes with a reusable cloth type filter but we find it easier to use paper ones and pitch em. The filer holder/funnel is a rubber type material that bends down and stores inside the container when not in use. Small light weight and works great.
Same company makes a press http://www.campsaver.com/java-press that I've used but doesn't work as well as our glass press that we have at home.
Also saw this a walmart the other day http://www.coleman.com/product/camping-coffeemaker/2000003603?contextCategory=5180#.VRmKZtq9KSM seems too bulky for me but looks like it would work well on a FWC stove or a Coleman.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VG761C/ref=twister_B00URQJD2I
Best mugs ever. Keep coffee hot for hours and we bought the largest I believe 20oz. ones for keeping cold drinks cool. Once filled one with cold Gatorade and ice for a trip to the beach. And found the Gatorade had froze on account of the mug holding in the cold so well from the ice it had made a mini freezer.

Camping, I use good ground coffee in the Java Press drip with Miletta paper filters. At home I use a Miletta drip with fresh ground coffee.

Attachments

• ph02s.jpg
    ph02s.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 200
  • ph03s.jpg
    ph03s.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 212
I chuckled after reading this comment on a bicycle touring blog by someone named Cranky:

"Too much technology for too little return. Boil water, turn off stove, pour in coffee, throw in egg shells if you have’m from breakfast, sit for 4 minutes, sprinkle with cold water, pour into cup thru old (preferable at least 2 decades) threadbare bandana, and vwahlah, a fine cup of cowboy coffee. Oh, and if you have a horseshoe, throw it. If it floats, the coffee is ready. All it will need after this is a shot."

Doug Stewart said:
Camping, I use good ground coffee in the Java Press drip with Miletta paper filters. At home I use a Miletta drip with fresh ground coffee.
Doug Stewart said:
Yeah! That's what I have. And that stool looks awful familiar too, folds up and fits inside the table when you pack it away? You have good taste my friend.

Starbucks instant is what I do. Takes up no space or requires any specialized equipment. Just boil the water and your good to go.

For instant, it uncommonly tastes like coffee.

Good cup-o-joe.

my dad said if you can't float a crowbar on it ...it ain't coffee....
He put a cup on the roof while loading the truck ... after we drove 45 miles we pulled over and that
cup was stuck on the roof solid.

I am more gentile ... a percolator works great
also love the coffee press ( tho being glass and I'm a klutz ....)

Nope, just some nose junk:)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

Lol, This forum is beginning to cost me some money. I love great coffee, so just I had to go out an buy the Aeropress after reading all the comments on here. I have to admit, it is slick. I have found that the inverted method brews a near flawless cup, everytime.
The cleanup is probably the biggest selling point. Too easy.
Steve

Dragging out this old coffee thread to share.

In my search for an occasional cuo of coffee without shore power (or dragging out the Honda 2000) I was looking for inverters to power my little k-cup type single cup machine.

many of you suggested everything in this thread, so in the process of learning about all of the suggestions I found this k-cup press at cabela's
https://youtu.be/qABKhFRHQQ4

I actually have one of those. Unused since I haven't become that desperate for a cup of coffee yet. I actually drink better coffee camping than I do at home.

craig333 said:
...I actually drink better coffee camping than I do at home.
Me, too...maybe. I use an Aeropress when camping, but at home I use a Mr. Coffee (mini) automatic drip as my "daily drinker". So, theoretically at least, my camping coffee should be better than my home brew.

I love my aeropress. I use a melitta when camping (even backpacking!) but the aeropress makes a better cup. That k-cup version of the aeropress is cool but:
- small amount of coffee per cup
- someone else chose the coffee to put in there... and how old is it?
- can't let the water sit on the coffee. Aeropress is typically only 45 sec or so, but still.

- on the positive side, no mess!

Outnabout said:
Stovetop espresso maker from IKEA. $20. Perfect.
Glad to see someone else has seen the light. Stovetop espresso pot (mine is a Bialetti SS) is truly the best for not only brewing but cleanup is so simple. No filters to buy and dispose plus it is incredibly durable for bouncing around on bad roads. I use a AeroPress at home or occasionally the French Press and Melitta based on quantity and speed. But I've been seriously thinking of getting a larger stovetop Bialetti for home use.

http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/stovetop/stainless-pots-c-1_7_21.html?zenid=nhf0dq9ltr3f1usag3dco6sct4

Backpacking or motel life is Starbucks Via territory.

cheers -

I had a Bialetti but I didn't care for the taste of the coffee it produced, plus it wasn't all that easy to clean. Plus side you could get it ready in advance and just heat it up in the morning and have coffee.

craig333 said:
I had a Bialetti but I didn't care for the taste of the coffee it produced, plus it wasn't all that easy to clean. Plus side you could get it ready in advance and just heat it up in the morning and have coffee.
For flavor my first choice is definitely the Aeropress, it is hard to compare. I just think for truck camping there is too much fiddling and clean up is minimal but still more involved then the Bialetti. I just flip the coffee plug out the door into the sagebrush and give the pot a quick rinse.
For sure the convenience of night before prep is hard to pass up. I often get up early for pre-sunrise photography so I can just turn on the stove while I'm getting dressed/warming the camper then fill up my travel mug or bullet thermos and head out the door.
I pre-grind my locally roasted organic coffee just before a trip so that helps the jump start also.... :oops:

Back
Top Bottom