Cold aluminum around upper bunk

John D

We camped in freezing weather the last two nights. Again, I was reminded that aluminum is cold to sleep next to. We sleep sideways on the upper berth with me forward. The aluminum around the cushion and against my back is COLD. Solutions?

We use sleeping bags in cold weather instead of sheets and blankets. The bags are warm enough, except where I am against the aluminum. I have some ideas about how to solve the problem but wondered what others have done to make FWC beds warmer.

cold

John,

Usually there is a piece of carpet along that part of the camper. Other than that we have never put anything else up there. This is the first time I have heard a complaint about the cold on that part of the camper.

Let me know what you come up with. I am sure it will be something interesting to fix the problem.:)

cold aluminum...

I'm thinking Mexico! Maybe further south....maybe only Death Valley...in other words, what the heck are you doing where it is that cold???????
Brian in NM

I dont know Brain. I'm freezing my tootsies off this AM. It will get up to 78 today though. Hey John just sleep during daylight hours.

cold...

Yeah, I hear you Jay....it is cold here too. Nice during the day but right about 30 last night. My wife is taking the camper and heading out on a Death Valley/ southern Nevada / southern CA trip tomorrow...hope she doesn't freeze her tootsies off. Duty to visit ma calls and she just wants to just camp and be alone for a spell.(I think she is doing some research for an article as well). I am staying home and working on the bikes in the garage.
Brian in NM

Ben,

There is no carpet covering the metal around the top bunk on our old Keystone. It could be missing. Is the carpet supposed to be glued over the metal? That would be an easy fix. I think I have some carpet around here. If not, there is always plenty in various colors out on the street in this neighborhood.

For you all who live in the west, my sister thinks I should move out there because I like it so much. However, I am an old southern boy. I have to come back here for some real football, southern women, and Tennessee whisky on occasion. War Eagle! Roll Tide!

John D

My 86 keystone does not have any carpet around the top aluminum either it does have a thin felt type of material there, but I agree it does feel cold and wet at times, oh temps been warm today,it was into the 30s :rolleyes:

I have not had any problems with cold aluminum, but what about drilling a few holes in the tubing and injecting some spray foam? I think this may have been discussed a way back.

If the cold aluminum is in the very front of the camper, around the front C-channel aluminum cab-over frame, we usually tuck a piece of carpet in there.

(see picture attached)

I think it is just wedged in there, no glue holding it in.

But I'm sure it would be easy to glue or velcro in place.

I would NOT drill through the front cab-over because it is not the hollow aluminum tubing like most of the frame. If you drill through that, depending on where you actually drill the hole, it will usually poke a hole clean through to the outside :(

Hope this visual helps below of the carpet strip tucked in the aluminum C-channel

Attachments

• Serial Number On Camper Frame # 1.jpg
    Serial Number On Camper Frame # 1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 374
  • Serial Number On Camper Frame # 2.jpg
    Serial Number On Camper Frame # 2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 371
personally, i would just be concious of it and keep hands and feet directly off that metal...i am working on some arctic pack configurations that may deal with that but am waiting to post pics etc. until i am further along...got som testing in last week however...cold and snowy and i stayed high and dry for the most part...more to come...

that looks more like skiing weather, not camping weather

BURRR...

It is a nice 65 degree, mostly sunny day here in beatuiful Nor. Cal

==================================================

... got some testing in last week however...cold and snowy and i stayed high and dry for the most part...more to come...

did a lot of skiing stan :D, only spent 2 nights last week in the camper...got snowed on though!

erod,
Glad to here you guys are skiing, nothing here but man-made. We usually don't go out on artificial snow but may take a few runs on it this weekend if the weather is decent. New ski locker at Sugar Bowl is filled with equipment and ready to go so we may not be able to resist. Enjoy.
Did you ever get your heater running? If so what was the problem?

Carpet up front

John,

Stan's pictures shows exactly how we put the carpet up front. I am surprised that we didn't put a piece in your camper since we rebuilt it.

Any color will work.:)

I am sure you can also glue it into place if you would like. If you need any other help, feel free to call anytime.

hey guys, haven't done much with the heater lately...i think its the battery not having enough juice to run things...i have woken up with a dead battery on more than one occasion just running my interior lights :(! mr buddy kept me warm on that trip, simple, cheap and reliable. the dual battery set up is in the works but have recently put a bunch of money into my truck so i am a little strapped, i will update my thread as i progress...cheers

Battery

Sounds like you have a bad battery. I have never had a battery drain by using the heater and interior lights over a 3 to 4 day period.

I would load test the battery and probably replace it before I sunk the money into a dual battery system.

I might sell my 1.5 year old battery isolator/combiner

hey guys, haven't done much with the heater lately...i think its the battery not having enough juice to run things...i have woken up with a dead battery on more than one occasion just running my interior lights :(! mr buddy kept me warm on that trip, simple, cheap and reliable. the dual battery set up is in the works but have recently put a bunch of money into my truck so i am a little strapped, i will update my thread as i progress...cheers

I haven't decided whether or not to keep my Dodge with a duel battery setup or not. I probably won't make a decision for several months, but if I do sell it, I could easily remove the Hellroaring BIC-95300B and sell it to you. It's designed to have keep both batteries charged, but to only combine them when you through an in-cab switch when you need it for starting the truck. I've run my main, deep cycle down so low the seat belts won't even release (when they loose current they lock in whatever position they're in), but I flip the switch and vroom, the engine starts. If there is enough charge left in the main to at least make the solenoid click the engine runs just fine, but when the seat belts are locked, I have to run the engine at a high idle for a few minutes to get enough charge back into the main battery before the engine runs smoothly. I also have a second battery tray which is specific to the Dodge, but I'm sure you could modify it if you have a place to put a second battery under the hood (required, or at least suggested because the second battery is intended to supply starting current.

Back
Top Bottom