concerns with my 1/2 ton over payload capacity

mtnbiker99

i'm fairly new to the truck camper and been doing a lot of reading on payload and such. From what i gather, it would appear some are just below the payload capacity . Any 1/2 ton owners with slide in (FWC, alasken, scout, etc) running way over their capacity?

my setup:
2019 f150 platinum trim, diesel - payload as per sticker - 1300lbs
future camper + gear + bikes + passengers = 2500lbs (max)
GVWR - 7100lbs

i figure upgrading HD leaf springs, timbrem bumpstops, and E rated tires my help. Anything else?

aside from upgrading to 3/4 (currently exploring those options), am i still fighting a losing battle here if i keep my f150 and spend $5K (estimate) on upgrades?

thanks everyone!

mtnbiker99 welcome to the cult.
Your questions have been asked many times on the site.
There are it seems two camps. A lot of members have
1/2 ton trucks with FWC/ATC campers on them and minor
truck mods.Air bags,better springs,E rated tires.

Then there's the group that is the 3/4 ton side.Same mods mostly.
IMO it all comes down to your personal choice.

I personally have a 2002 Tundra TRD with a ATC Bobcat and rear air bags.
This combo fits my needs and I haven't had any issues.

You do have to keep in mind that what ever size truck you still have a load
on the truck and for the most part your handling/breaking will be different.

Continue to post your questions,there is a lot of great info posted on the site.
Frank

I'm beginning to learn the GVWR what matters the most. i'm going to get my truck weighed and see what the curb weight is. From there, i guess i can understand how much i can carry.

and i forgot about the tailgate. It's got that chrome trim and step option. That's a 100lbs there!

What Frank said, yes. I got rid of my tailgate -- was not hard to connect a new back up camera.

Hi Mtn. Welcome to the family.

My experience. As you read under my signature we have a 1100 pound Eagle improved shell sitting on a 2013 Tacoma V6 4WD. Camper is bolted down full time. Truck stock is rated at 5,500 pounds. When setup to go to the desert for one week it weighs 6,200 pounds with full tank of gas and one occupant. My mate doesn't do the desert.

Empty it weighs 5,350 pounds with half tank of fuel and one 215 pound ( I dropped 20 pounds last year), person (me).
I went to a local spring shop and put in a new set to support 1,800 pounds which gives me about 15% extra . And E rated tires.
As you know the Tacoma has a plastic bed so a local welding shop welded 4 tabs onto the frame and the camper is bolted dawn to it. Nuts are still tight after 7 years of use.

Its only that heavy 2 trips per year. And the brakes have no trouble stopping truck and Suzuki as I don't have trailer brakes. In fact I'm still on my original front brakes. We have a trailer towing package so it has the big radiator. Will tow 6500 pounds so the 2300 pound Samurai is no issue. I do change the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles.

My opinion is if you drive it conservatively, springs can handle the wright, and you have a tow pkg with the 3.73 rear axel it should give you many good years of service because you won't have the camper on the truck all the time,

With a 4 liter V6 ruining on premium fuel and 5 speed automatic it passes Semis on 2 lane roads like it has a V8 and even pulls a Suzuki Samurai see picture.
gallery_2684_908_208423.jpg

Hello mtnbiker99

Ratings on vehicles are IMO not suggestions.
I know that I’m overly cautious.
We’re traveling with a rig that is 700# shy of 10,000# gvwr.
It would bother me if it were the other way around, that’s just me.
You should do what’s comfortable for you! Hope this helps.

Russ

thanks for the replies everyone, this is great info. Since i'm new to all this, it hard for me to make the right decision.

- the camper won't be on full time. (weekends only)
- my f150 is my daily driver
- i'll spend most of my time on forestry roads, crown camping.
- no serious 4x4.

do people upgrade the leaf springs AND also add airbags? for fine tuning and such?

mtnbiker99 said:
aside from upgrading to 3/4 (currently exploring those options), am i still fighting a losing battle here if i keep my f150 and spend $5K (estimate) on upgrades?

thanks everyone!
With upgrades it will probably be fine if you drive slower and don't have to make any panic moves on the highway to avoid traffic. I started with an F150 and Hawk however since I had my loved ones in the rig I upgraded to an F250 for more payload, bigger brakes, etc.

fuzzymarindave said:
With upgrades it will probably be fine if you drive slower and don't have to make any panic moves on the highway to avoid traffic. I started with an F150 and Hawk however since I had my loved ones in the rig I upgraded to an F250 for more payload, bigger brakes, etc.
when you say drive slower - do you mean 5 to 10km/hr than the posted speed limited? when you had your F150 - what mods did you do? and how close were you to your GWVR?

I had a 2005 F150 Lariat Supercrew with 5.5' bed. Upgrades were E rated tires, air bags, rear sway bar. In addition to being over the GVWR my center of mass was more toward the rear with the short bed. My gut told me that if an evasive maneuver was needed on the highway,,that the rig would not perform well. My F250 has a 6.5' bed and good payload. Basically a non issue so I have less to worry about.

mtnbiker99 said:
do people upgrade the leaf springs AND also add airbags? for fine tuning and such?
I'm in the go big or stay home camp. 1 ton truck and Puma mounted full time. Truck came with air bags when I bought it. I use them to trim the ride. Only needs a few pounds.

Folks who take the camper off a lot for daily driving are usually happier with air bags vs uprated springs. With the springs, the truck will ride very rough when empty, and great when loaded. With air bags, you can adjust for the load. Downside of the air bags is that you will be relying on them to work. And they have been known to leak/tear. Not good when you are many km down a dirt road.

Vic Harder said:
I'm in the go big or stay home camp. 1 ton truck and Puma mounted full time. Truck came with air bags when I bought it. I use them to trim the ride. Only needs a few pounds.

Folks who take the camper off a lot for daily driving are usually happier with air bags vs uprated springs. With the springs, the truck will ride very rough when empty, and great when loaded. With air bags, you can adjust for the load. Downside of the air bags is that you will be relying on them to work. And they have been known to leak/tear. Not good when you are many km down a dirt road.
Hi Vic - i'm also from Calgary. Hwy 40 forestry roads, waiporous, beehive area, etc is where i plan to camp mostly. All dirt roads as you know. I may just have to tolerate the rough ride when the camper is not on. I drive a lot to bragg creek to bike and my odd trips to Edmonton and Canmore

fuzzymarindave said:
I had a 2005 F150 Lariat Supercrew with 5.5' bed. Upgrades were E rated tires, air bags, rear sway bar. In addition to being over the GVWR my center of mass was more toward the rear with the short bed. My gut told me that if an evasive maneuver was needed on the highway,,that the rig would not perform well. My F250 has a 6.5' bed and good payload. Basically a non issue so I have less to worry about.
i have the 6.5, so i believe the center of gravity will be slight towards the "front" of the rear axle. The trucks that i've own has never hit or past the GVWR, so i can't honestly know what it feels like.

Keep in mind that in addition to more payload capacity in an F-250 you’re also getting larger brakes, stronger frame, axles etc.

mtnbiker99 said:
Hi Vic - i'm also from Calgary. Hwy 40 forestry roads, waiporous, beehive area, etc is where i plan to camp mostly. All dirt roads as you know. I may just have to tolerate the rough ride when the camper is not on. I drive a lot to bragg creek to bike and my odd trips to Edmonton and Canmore
Cool, another Calgarian! I look forward to sharing "good spots" with you. I'm trying to get my wife into mountain biking... that will be an adventure in itself :p

For the roads you describe, I'd say those are pretty tame roads. Empty with heavy springs, your trucks back end will be all over the place... not fun! What makes you think that you will have to go the spring route?

Vic Harder said:
Cool, another Calgarian! I look forward to sharing "good spots" with you. I'm trying to get my wife into mountain biking... that will be an adventure in itself :p

For the roads you describe, I'd say those are pretty tame roads. Empty with heavy springs, your trucks back end will be all over the place... not fun! What makes you think that you will have to go the spring route?
i was led to believe that air bags have a tendency to tear.

When it comes to GVWR there is no industry standard calculation, so basically each manufacturer makes up their own rating.

My 91 Dodge Cummins 4x4 3/4ton with an 8.5' Phoenix camper, loaded with all my ski gear and winter stuff is 250-300lbs over the 8510lb GVWR. It is not a problem. E rated tires, Kelderman Air Ryde air bag suspension upgrade, extra leaf spring in the front and springs re-sprung a good many years ago.

Having brakes in good shape is important and I just interrupted the typing of this post to make an appointment with my mechanic to have the e-brake adjusted and brakes inspected as the old truck camper this Covid ski season is the daily driver to Sun Peaks Resort, B.C. and then serve as a heated boot change, washroom, lunchroom in the parking lot as locker rooms are closed.

I'm not sure how Sumosprings are sized for your truck. But for our empty Tacoma, there is a gap between the top of the "spring" (it's more like a close cell foam material, and acts like an airbag) and the frame. So with an empty truck it's not doing anything. But heavily loaded it's worked great in all conditions. It won't puncture like air bags, no fussy pumping it up. Something to consider.

mtnbiker99 said:
i was led to believe that air bags have a tendency to tear.
They CAN tear, especially if doing 4x4 crawling, as the limit of suspension travel is reached. Hence, not good for that and a royal pain if it happens to you in the middle of nowhere. That said, many folks are happy with their airbags!

DanoT said:
When it comes to GVWR there is no industry standard calculation, so basically each manufacturer makes up their own rating . . .
That isn't really true.

The determination of individual component and sub-assembly failure is a well established and documented discipline; for the auto industry it would be SAE standards and procedures. How the company combines those failures into a final GVWR is company specific, along with the safety factors that are built into that number. And you are taking a static measurement (you weigh your truck on a scale). The weight ratings are developed using dynamic loading (e.g. your truck hitting an obstruction at 70 mph).

I take GVWR and GAWRs seriously. Part of my job was testing final product to failure in the computer data storage industry. I know how hard sales and marketing push to have engineering sign off on inflated specifications.

IMO the more important weight to never exceed (for a camper): the rear axle weight should not exceed its GAWR. This is because with the extended cabs and shorter beds the camper weight is mostly on the rear axle.

Back
Top Bottom