Consensus on truck caps?

MuleHawk

Advanced Member
Who makes the best, most durable high roof truck cap these days? Thinking about one for when I have the camper off after this year long trip.

I've mainly looked at ARE, Leer and Snugtop.

www.mulehawk.com

Couple of friends and I were discussing their glass tops not long ago. I have lots of yrs messing with Glass built vehicles. Starting with a Rutan Verieze I built with a family member.

All the glass caps are created with non engineered spray in chopper guns spraying a resin/chopped mat mix into a mold. From a structural vs weight stand point we sail boat racers, know that engineered composite structures and Aluminum structures share very similar strength to weight ratio. Not counting cored carbonfiber structures. Cored glass with directional glass mat layout shares similar weight to strength ratio to Aluminum structures.

Understanding this. I would go Aluminum cap every time. All the glass caps lack any type of composite engineering for strength or weight savings.

Go with Snugtop, I have had three of their tops for different trucks. By far the better in my opinion to others mentioned. Suggest to special order as per your liking. Also not the cheapest, but very well built and great color match, windows are very good quality, rear glass flush latch is secure and durable. Good luck in your search.

You mentioned taking the camper on and off, I assume that means the cap as well. I would opt for aluminum because it's light enough for a couple to lift easily. I own a A.R.E right now and have owned other brands of alum. in the past, they all held up fine.

Beach said:
You mentioned taking the camper on and off, I assume that means the cap as well. I would opt for aluminum because it's light enough for a couple to lift easily. I own a A.R.E right now and have owned other brands of alum. in the past, they all held up fine.
This may be a replacement for the camper after our year long trip, we will be settling down in a new location with a higher cost of living so we are thinking of selling the camper to pad our savings during the transition. The cap would probably be on all of the time

www.mulehawk.com

Only my second post/reply to this great site.

I agree with fish more. My 20-yr old Snugtop is still in good shape. But it's a cab-hi model. If I were to buy another I'd look at the Leer 122 Hi-Rise or the ProTop (formerly Vision) Hi-Rise models. You can't completely stand up but you can have some side cabinets/seating and sit up. Unfortunately, Snugtop does not make a true hi-rise model.

I say "if I were to buy another"...I'm considering an ATC for the truck. Good luck with your research.

i would vote for SnugTop. Ive owned multiple caps and SnugTop seems like the best for the money. I take my shells on and off and it is pretty easily done with one other person. Ive never bought one new but if I did it would be a snug top wth side opening windoors and sliding windows.

Good luck on your quest!

Back
Top Bottom