Cooper ST Maxx?

Squatch

I'm looking at new tires for my 1st gen Tundra. I've run a lot of BFG AT's and others over the years. This time around I think I want something that's a tad more aggressive in tread design. I'll be staying close to the stock size with no lift.

I ran a set of the old un-siped Cooper STT MT's on my old Powerwagon. I liked them for a MT. But I'm not looking to run a true MT all the time on the street on this truck. These seem to be a nice hybrid between AT + MT.

I've been reading good things about these Coopers. But not from someone who carries a camper. So is anyone here running these on their truck? Let us know what you think of them.

My truck currently has P 265/65/r17 junk on it. I plan to go up one size to a LT 265/70/r17 E. These should be the same width and an inch taller.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T-MAXX.aspx

Attachments

• 002 (Small).JPG
    002 (Small).JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 14
I've been running the Cooper "Discoverer ST" for 10,000 miles and love them. They work better in mud and snow than the BFG AT Km2's they replaced. I'm running 235/86/16 Tall and Skinny.

I'm getting a very minimal lift and new tires as soon as my ST MAXX come in. Currently running Cooper Discoverer A/T3 and love them. Also considered the Nitto Ridge Grappler but liked the specs on the Cooper better. I did a lot of research before landing on the Maxx. These new AT/MT hybrids are interesting.

I'm on my second pair of Cooper Discoverer AT3 E rated. ... best tire I've ever had. (245 75 17)

buckland said:
I'm on my second pair of Cooper Discoverer AT3 E rated. ... best tire I've ever had. (245 75 17)
Do you drive on the wet/snow with those? How would you rate them vs a real snow tire?

Well I live above 1500 ft in snowy New England... these are great tires because they have lots of tread and are narrow enough for snow. Fat tires are useless...mud tires are useless ... they aren't "pizza cutters" but deep tread and narrow is good. So Yes... I think they are.

I now have new tires! Cooper ST MAXX LT265/70/r17 E. These are a hybrid between an AT and MT tire. Initial impressions are good. There is some noise. Not quite the hum of a full on MT. More like a soft whirring sound. But louder than a BFG AT KO2 for sure.

The ride is very nice. I might sorta feel a little bit more of the tiny stuff because of the stiff E rated tire. But the square edges of pot holes that had me cringing with the old P metrics just disappeared. Typical of moving up to a real truck tire.

With the P metrics there was a wandering twitch feeling to the steering wheel I didn't like. Kinda like if you looked away from the road and coughed you'd be in the ditch kinda thing. That has been replaced by a heavier solid feel. The tires are heavy and you can feel it a little. So what it's a truck. before I was concerned about taking the camper on a forest service road for fear of tire failure. Not now! :D

These are an inch taller than stock and same width.
Old(new) p 265/65/r17 Dunpops

New LT265/70/r17 Cooper ST MAXX.

Obviously I haven't reinstalled the center caps yet. It's been raining for 2 days. The tires felt solid in the rain. I did roll away from a stop and then punched it hard. The v8 had no trouble spinning the rears even with a real Limited Slip Differential.

I think I'm going to like these. They should haul the camper weight much better. Especially when the road gets rough! :D

I also posted this in my truck thread as I use that as a record of the build.

Love mine. Live in Minnesota but have spent a lot of time in the Southwest. They are great on all terrains, especially aired down.

My two cents here. Am on my third set of st maxx. Love them, feel they are the best all terrain tire I have ever used. First two sets got over 45k of use. These were on my 2003 f250 gassed. Third set on my 2016 f350 diesel, 27k and lots of life left.
No regrets here at all.

I have read these tires are actually slightly taller than their size would indicate. Has anyone who has them found that to be true?

Would really like to try these tires, but they are not offered in 265/70 18 (32.6") that I want to continue running. If they are a little taller than their 275/70 17 size would indicate, (32.2") they might be really close. I have a set of 17" rims so no problem switching. Don't want to go wider than 275 though.

How noisy is the ST Maxx on the highway? The Ram is my daily driver and I have to drive 500 to 1500 miles to get to the Mountain West. And I like quiet.

jim

JaSAn said:
How noisy is the ST Maxx on the highway? The Ram is my daily driver and I have to drive 500 to 1500 miles to get to the Mountain West. And I like quiet.

jim
Haven't done a long trip with them yet, that will come in March/April but initial impression is that new they are quieter than my AT/3's were when they were getting close to worn out.

Back
Top Bottom