Covid Vaccine -- Have you got yours?

I got my first shot in rural Georgia (the US state) and the second here in Bend, Oregon.

When I left Bend in early February my age-group wasn't yet eligible for vaccination. So, I figured I'd either rely on Southern hospitality to vaccinate this poor "homeless" West Coast Yankee...or wait until I got home again -- probably not until May.
In late March, while camped in Georgia, I heard about a website called "vaccinefinder.org" that helps folks locate COVID vaccines being administered by private pharmacies (e.g., CVS, Walmart, Rite-Aid, etc.). I knew that -- officially -- Georgia (like most states) was offering vaccination only to folks living or working there. But I filled out the appointment form with my real address -- in Oregon -- and I got an appointment at the Swainsboro Walmart without alarms going off. That particular pharmacy had many open appointment slots -- either locals didn't want vaccines or they already had them.
When I was in the vaccination room with the pharmacist administering the jab I told him that I'm a tourist from Oregon. He seemed to ignore that, but said that there were folks driving 3 hours from Atlanta to his pharmacy to take advantage of their excess supply. (3 hours? I drove 3000 miles. :D )

Back in Bend from my 3-month wander I attempted to get an appointment for jab #2 via the County Health Dept, which links to the local Big Hospital. On the hospital's site, after I indicated that I wanted my second shot, they (the appointment software) said that for jab #2 I should go to where I got #1. But I wasn't going to drive back to Georgia... Rite-Aid website was similar. To sign up there I'd have to lie and claim that it was going to be my 1st jab. So I tried Walmart Pharmacy's site again and they didn't make any distinction between appointments [in Bend] for 1st and 2nd jabs. When I showed up at Walmart for my vaccination today I showed them my vaccine card, and there was no issue at all.
All good!

I received an email from UC Davis Medical Center yesterday saying I was eligible for my Pfizer booster shot. The "make an appointment process" was easy online and it is next Monday morning. :)

It is good to be a healthy old fart.

ski3pin said:
I received an email from UC Davis Medical Center yesterday saying I was eligible for my Pfizer booster shot. The "make an appointment process" was easy online and it is next Monday morning. :)
I'll do the same as soon as they approve, recommend, a Moderna booster.

ski3pin said:

It is good to be a healthy old fart.
Our local CVS provides walk in vaccinations so I got it done today on the way back from the post office. Saved me a drive! :)

The wife and I slipped into the local Rite Aid last Saturday morning for our Pfizer boosters. I’m 66, she’s younger but a middle school teacher, don’t get me started on the pathetic protocols my former district has implemented. We both experienced more pronounced reactions than our first two shots but no big deal, I’ll take that over COVID any day.

Back
Top Bottom