Crossing the CA border with FWC

elmo_4_vt

Advanced Member
Hey All,
I've searched the topics, but couldn't find any specifics about the crossing and inspections of the campers at a crossing. Basically, we are taking 2 weeks going through mostly Nova Scotia this summer. I'll be traveling with my family (wife/son/dog). After reading a few reports on other forums, I'm a little worried about how the border agents are going to view a built up truck and camper, especially since I'll be coming by way of Baxter in Maine park and will probably be pretty dirty when we hit the crossing.

Any insights on how far they take the inspection? Do you need to pop-up the camper? Will they be going through all the cabinets and under bed storage?

I've already read some details on the requirements for dogs, and understand about what they want with respect to food. Just mainly want some experience from those with campers like mine.

Thanks for any help.

(Pic for attention)

Don

-

I have crossed into Canada many times in my ATC Bobcat and have had no issues.
You might get a crossing official who is interested in your rig but that's about all.
Remember about carrying "camp firewood" it's a NO NO.
Also some wine/beer seems to be OK,but don't have more than a couple bottles.
Also bear spray is OK, Mace no.
Have fun
Frank

^^^^^ This!
We'll be doing the same thing again this August.
Just be respectful and have your passports ready and you'll be fine.

I've crossed a fair number of times and never had any issues. In fact coming back into the US seems to be more difficult than entering Canada. I've been pulled over for secondary screening a couple times while reentering but it has always been for some additional questions, maybe once they glanced inside a cooler, have never had them enter the camper or do anything that causes a significant delay (touch wood).

Thanks for the insight all.

What about food... I know there are a lot of restrictions that I'm currently trying to understand, but how strict are they? If we take enough for the next day, meaning some meat and veggies, will they care?

We have had no inspections crossing the Canadian border on six crossings. Crossing the border with a gun can get you inspected and/or interviewed. We have never crossed the border in either direction with fresh veg's or meat or a gun and have never had an inspection or an interview. We do carry up to 24 cans or bottles of beer across the border but not more. Having an up-to-date passport speeds everything along and reduces questions.

elmo_4_vt said:
Thanks for the insight all.

What about food... I know there are a lot of restrictions that I'm currently trying to understand, but how strict are they? If we take enough for the next day, meaning some meat and veggies, will they care?
We have always carried food with us and never questioned.
DO NOT carry a hand gun.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
DO NOT carry a hand gun.
I have found that vehicles displaying NRA stickers have a tendency to be thoroughly questioned...

We have crossed into CA 4-5 times, and it was only our last crossing in 2015 that had us wait inside the building while 2-3 CA agents spent 15 minutes checking the camper.

No problem of any kind found, and we thanked them for keeping all of us safe.

Mike

The last time we crossed a couple of years ago, we had to forfeit our dozen eggs due to bird flu concerns. I imagine that issue has passed but you never know what might come up.

The US customs made me give up lemons even though they were purchased in the US. The ag inspector complemented the FWC though.

New here so forgive me for saying this but personally, I'd rather not try to cross either way with a really dirty vehicle. I don't think either side appreciates it plus I'll guess there's some agriculture in the area.

my advice/experience ...

Before crossing make sure all the external compartments and camper doors are unlocked and easy to open.

Shut off your truck engine when speaking with the Agent, esp if it's a diesel.

Consider placing all food you're concerned about in an open bin just inside a door to facilitate inspection.

Be aware, it's up to you to self declare firearms, weapons, animals and food.

Relax and enjoy your trip !

We've crossed with small quantities of fruit, meat, and dairy products in the cooler and have been asked for more detail- like where we bought them (i.e., whether in a grocery store, farmer's market, roadside stand, etc). I know we've not had anything seized in our recent crossings but I believe we had to surrender some fruit on a crossing years ago.

Other things that come to mind---

Check that your passports are signed (That once caused a problem for us on re-entry)

If you have protection-from-animal-attack sprays, be sure they are labelled clearly as not for use on humans or are clearly labelled for their intended use on animals. Have them handy for the agent to check if you want to avoid that being the reason for a pull-off.

If you're taking that very cool trailer of yours, they'll be interested in what's in it and may want to verify vehicle registration for your motorcycle. I'd have it immediately available in hopes of avoiding the delay of a pull-over. Also - I don't believe you have a license plate on the front of your truck. It appears the trailer's far enough back that the cameras may still be able to read your truck's rear license plate. If it can't, you'll be asked for your license plate number and you may want to have your registration card handy.

Keep track of any items you buy in Canada and intend to take back across the border. You will be asked about them on return to the US.

If you're interested in such things, the series "Border Security: Canada's Front Line" on Netflix is an interesting watch to understand the principles of border protection. Like this principle: Canada doesn't like criminal records and even old DUI or other charges from your teens can be used to deny entry today.

Also-

You may also want to think through how Canada may handle other things--- like bicycle-helmet laws if you have bicycles. (Nova Scotia is a helmets-for-everyone province, Ontario is helmets-for-minors, I believe.)

Your phone may not work in Canada. If yours can't be made to work there, you may want to consider a pre-paid phone or SIM card and I believe a good source that we may not think of is a Seven-Eleven in Canada. If you were only thinking of one for emergencies and already have an Inreach or Spot, maybe you don't need a phone. (I'm just mentioning this because we're so used to using our phones that it's a bit of a shock when they suddenly don't work)

On our last trip up we used our iPad to check current traffic (on Apple Maps with Show Traffic enabled) and the Canada Border Services Agency's "Forecasted Border Wait Times" web site to decide whether to cross late in the day today or wait until the next day. We ended up deciding to stay on the US side of the border for the night as it was already late in the day as we approached and the forecast was better for the next morning. That did indeed work out to our advantage. Unfortunately, as I write this the forecasting page is out of service and it's not clear when it will be back up.

Also- we've found it better to get Canadian currency from an ATM machine at a Canadian bank rather than the border exchange. And of course gas prices are better on the US side of the border so don't forget to fill up on the way over and put off a fill-up on the way back. In the US, we start checking Gas Buddy 50 miles or so before the border as prices tend to rise rapidly as you get close.

I think my dog will declare himself. Speaking of animals, its always a good idea to have paperwork along even if you aren't crossing a border.

Elmo, very good responses from everyone. A year ago we crossed at Windsor to drive East to New York, instead of driving through US traffic jams. We were tired and when asked if we had been to Canada before, we had a complete brain shutdown. We had been to Vancouver in 2010 and just spaced it. He asked 3-4 times. We said no. We got run through the ringer. They went through everything and then sent us to a different building for a background check. It cost us 45+ minutes.

Ya ... gotta have our wits about us. I went from Northern Maine into Quebec... Looked like I had been in the deep woods for a few weeks (I had been) he asked if I had any guns... I said no... my wife said "are have guns at home but left them there" .... uh oh.... always best to not offer additional info... two hours later ...out camper completely gone through by armed and ready team (and not repacked) ...we were let go... we just stood by the wall and answered yes and no's .....
When I was younger I could walk across that same border and just say "hi"... at least that memory is sweet.

I had stated earlier in the thread as not having issues crossing.
We had one back in 2010. First trip north in the new Bobcat.
I have a habit of answering the question asked,"where are you from" as Monterey.
Well I just like that city better then our mailing address city on my passport which is Salinas.
But that brings up the alert since my passport says Salinas they think I am not who I claim to be.
We had crossed from Port Angles to Victoria on the last ferry about midnight arrival.
Seems they wanted a training mission and we were the chosen ones.
Actually we were only delayed about 15 minuets,but it put a damper on that part of the trip.
All-in-all we have always been treated with respect and courtesy.
Also before you cross lock the camper door.I think helps they might figure that know one has gotten into your camper without
your knowledge.
Frank

Thanks for all the help and insight guys (especially Old Crow). We'll be taking the bicycles and a motorcycle, and will make sure to take the registration cards with us in the truck for quick production. I think we'll try and take a minimum of food with us, and keep the beer and wine to a case and a bottle or two. We plan on going to one of the smaller crossings near the Atlantic/bay instead of Rt. 95 and will report back on how well that works. Hopefully they don't tear apart the packed gear, but really our food is pretty visible and packed on toward the outside anyway in the truck/camper, and the trailer is just one door away from access.

We already will have a folder for the dog's paperwork, and will through copies of other stuff in there too just to be safe. We've done this on our other big trips, but will make it a little more comprehensive this time with copies of all insurance and campground reservations as well. Hopefully the young kid and dog will go a ways in making my big truck less threatening.

We have a ways to go before the trip, so if anyone else feels like dropping some past experiences on the thread, I'm sure it will help us and future readers.

Don

(just a quick picture of the fear inducing dog that will be with us)

Back
Top Bottom