Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Red diesel isn't common around here. I only know one place that sells it. I got diesel for 3.19 a gallon today.

Regular in Tucson is below $2.10 at numerous stations. It is almost hard to believe. Harder yet to understand.

I was in Tucson a few days ago. Regular was $1.99 at QT & Circle K. Now in Yuma.
The cheapest I can find is $2.27 at an Arco, payable by cash or debit only.

I just had to pay $2.15 yesterday for regular unleaded. Up about a quarter in the last four months. It's almost too much to bear.

Last year I picked up a CNG civic for a daily driver. I commute 70 miles round trip to work. The closest station to me is up at $3.17 right now which is up a dollar in a year. So I go further to get the sub $2.00 price.

ski3pin said:
Do not cross over into California.
$2.499 at the Pilot in Klamath Falls.

When I drive to Redding, CA (from Bend, OR) I try to fill up here southbound and then make it back here on the same tank.

buckland said:
Gas $2.47
Diesel $2.89
Western Massachusetts today
Not sure why gas goes up and diesel down?
It's said that diesel competes with fuel/heating oil for the same cut of petroleum (unlike much lighter gasoline). So in spring/summer when there's less need for fuel oil for heating, there's a greater supply of that cut for diesel.
Or it's just more pricing bs... :rolleyes:

I've been without a vehicle since late February and just bought a new Tundra last week. I last filled up on 2/13 and gas was $2.95/gal. I filled up my new truck yesterday for the first time at $3.83/gal. 25 gals = $96.00 - this is going to put a crimp on my wandering!!

Prices in Vancouver are pushing the last peak one year ago. ~ $4.65 USD/gal with talk of higher this summer.

A heads up for travellers !

Gas prices are scary, but I haven't put my camper up on blocks just yet. This is a problem the more miles you put on the vehicle of course but I think we are all stuck with prices from $2.65 to $4.00 in some areas. Hopefully you can fill up when its at the lower price but that may not be feasible.

Look at it this way, if you do 15,000 miles in your main vehicle a year at 18 MPG @ $2.65 that costs about $2,208.00.

If you drive your camping rig 5,000 miles at 12 MPG @ $2.65 it costs you $1,104.00
If you drive your camper rig 5,000 at 12 MPG @ $4.00 it costs you $1,666

OK, if my math is correct, and you do 5,000 miles per year, depending on your MPG of course, you could spend $600 more when gas is $4.00 per gallon.

Now, you will be filling up at different times during a trip or during the year when gas might be cheaper. You might even get better gas mileage than 12 MPG....both of which will lower your annual fuel cost.

I get it though, its not funny to shell out over $100 to fill up your truck, but in the "Big Picture" you are spending less on hotels and restaurants when traveling so that offsets some of this cost anyway.

Best of all is where you can travel/stay, what you choose to cook out there and how remote you want to be. All that for a couple hundred dollars maybe per trip?

My point is...do not let the cost of gas keep you from the advantages of having your own truck/camper. Look at everything else you will save on while you are gone; lower PG&E costs, no restaurant bills (OK, maybe one or two), no Netflix charges and no expensive nights out drinking beer (whatever) with the boys at a bar at $2.00 to $7.50 per bottle!

PackRat said:
My point is...do not let the cost of gas keep you from the advantages of having your own truck/camper. Look at everything else you will save on while you are gone; lower PG&E costs, no restaurant bills (OK, maybe one or two), no Netflix charges and no expensive nights out drinking beer (whatever) with the boys at a bar at $2.00 to $7.50 per bottle!
Well said. We handle the rising prices by traveling out of state. :)

Back
Top Bottom