Custom camper project part 1: spec and design

For me the height of the seat is mostly determined by my desire to store a tuffy box under it. This means that the seat is 19 inches tall without a cushion. It was comfortable at that height but I should throw a cushion on there to be sure.

I wouldn't change the height of the seats to accommodate sitting in the camper with the top down. I have little interest in using the camper with the top down and I wouldn't want to compromise storage or seat comfort (we are both tall so i want a taller seat) to achieve top-down usefulness.

DD can you elaborate about your plans for the Tuffy box?

DD can you elaborate about your plans for the Tuffy box?

I'm not sure where i got the name tuffy box but actually i'm using a Rubbermade Action Packer. I always bring one full of firewood and it usually sits on the bench seat in the camper and takes up a lot of space. In the new camper, it will go under the dinette seat, acessed by an external hatch.

I'm not sure where i got the name tuffy box but actually i'm using a Rubbermade Action Packer. I always bring one full of firewood and it usually sits on the bench seat in the camper and takes up a lot of space. In the new camper, it will go under the dinette seat, acessed by an external hatch.

DD,

Seems like an awefull lot of space to dedicate just to firewood. Is there no other place to put wood? What about a more slender box behind the drivers seat or even a closed box mounted on the exterior? Think of all the other things that would be nice to access from the outside like a roll out message chair or disco ball.

Home Skillet

Think of all the other things that would be nice to access from the outside like a roll out message chair or disco ball.

Home Skillet

Or a stocked wet bar! :p

DD,

Seems like an awefull lot of space to dedicate just to firewood. Is there no other place to put wood? What about a more slender box behind the drivers seat or even a closed box mounted on the exterior? Think of all the other things that would be nice to access from the outside like a roll out message chair or disco ball.

Home Skillet

Well you can put anything you want in that space it doesn't have to be wood :)

Well you can put anything you want in that space it doesn't have to be wood :)

That's what she said... :oops:

:LOL:

That's what she said... :oops:

:LOL:

I'm going to let this one pass for now but remind me when we are sitting around the campfire :D

Or a stocked wet bar!

I think the one from Iron Man is just about the same size as the Tuffy Box.

gallery_176_163_69825.jpg

So whatever happened to this concept...are you still moving forward?

Cort

Sorry I didn't see this before. It's taken some time to plan and negotiate this work with a third party but I am very close to having an update.

OK after a lot of planning and negotiation I can now announce that ATC will be building my new camper based on the flatbed design I came up with. More details as the become available :)

I am thrilled that my buddy DD will be rejoining the ranks of the camper crowd after all! I was starting to worry that we would all have to help you live vicariously for awhile.

Very cool.

Home Skillet

I need to go down there and have the guys put a roof rack on my fleet, when is your camper going to be started I'd love to get a sneak peak :)

I have been playing with a build on, walk through from the cab option for a while, thinking about using nida core like the Turtle Expeditions and super camper but don't have a good garage space to work in yet (mines too small). My brother is looking buying property with a barn so I am hoping to take over part of that to do the build.

Good luck and I can't wait to see the pics!

OK after a lot of planning and negotiation I can now announce that ATC will be building my new camper based on the flatbed design I came up with. More details as the become available :)

Looking forward to the updates and seeing the finished camper.

Back
Top Bottom