DD Report - Sept 2009 Colorado Rally

DD - great Rally! Good job organizing this get together. A perfect laid-back weekend for all...

I'm still not sure about Diego, but I love your camera and what you're doing with it. I may have to request a full size shot of the group rolling by "Marc's cabin" for a new wallpaper on my laptop. Really good job capturing the scope of the San Juans.

I know I'll see you down the road somewhere. I wonder where it will be next...?

I may have to request a full size shot of the group rolling by "Marc's cabin" for a new wallpaper on my laptop.

Sure send me a pm with the email address you want that at and I'll send it over.

To answer Darryla's question about how much time - I've lived in CO for 18 years, probably get out more than most as I spend 30 - 40 nights per year camping out between work & play, & I've just begone to explore. The best advise I've heard is pick a relatively small area & immerse yourself in it with the time you have, & keep coming back.
Doug

Great report and pics DD. You did a great job of reporting the trip and your pics are awesome. Looking forward to the next get together and I'll have to block out more time!

Once again a great report from DD. Thanks for putting this trip together. It was nice to get together with the WTW group and meet some new faces in a beautiful part of our country. I also enjoyed a cozy night in the camper during the raging thunder storm. We don't see much weather like that in SoCal.

I took the long way home and just got back this past weekend. I figured since I was that far from home I would see some sights. I checked out Ouray, Telluride, Dinosaur National Monument, Flaming Gorge, Jackson Hole, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Goblin Valley, Capital Reef, Escalante Staircase, Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks, Hoover Dam and points between. 3900 miles altogether and well worth it. I haven't downloaded any pictures yet but will post some when I do.

Dick

It was great meeting you, Dick. I'm glad the rest of the journey went well and ya made it home safely.

Of course, looking forward to the pics!

Thanks for making the trip

mtn

Looked like a fun trip!

Got a question for you though, or anyone on the trip. Did you ever feel that your truck was too big for any of the trails in the area? Ive driven many of the offroad trails out there, but I've done it in my trusty toyota truck. I'm curious about wheeling a fullsize rig over some of those passes?

Kevo

Did you ever feel that your truck was too big for any of the trails in the area?

No but we did our research before hitting these routes. My feeling is that on the 4wd scale of 1-10 the routes designated as 3's are enough to have some challenges, get the adrenaline going, but not push these big rigs to the edge of what's safe. The biggest issue is passing oncoming vehicles.

In Death Valley we did Lippincott Pass which would arguably be a 4 on the scale - and that was a bit scary in spots but we all made it. I'd prefer to stay on the 3's.

Looked like a fun trip!

Got a question for you though, or anyone on the trip. Did you ever feel that your truck was too big for any of the trails in the area? Ive driven many of the offroad trails out there, but I've done it in my trusty toyota truck. I'm curious about wheeling a fullsize rig over some of those passes?

Kevo

Having the longest truck on this trip I can say that the truck size was not that much of a problem on the trails we did. The switch backs created a slight pucker and required multipoint turns but if you took your time it was doable. The only other problem was dealing with oncoming traffic. We lucked out and only had traffic in a couple of tight spots.
I think we did a couple of the easier trails so it's possible to find more challenging routes.

Back
Top Bottom