Death Valley National Park - December 2016

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
To celebrate the holidays and the Lady's final winter break from teaching school, we once again continued our exploration of the backcountry of Death Valley. This trip was very special and I've completed our trip story. Part All four parts are now up and posted to our blog and can be found here -

Death Valley - December 2016 - Part One

Death Valley - December 2017 - Part Two

Death Valley - December 2016 - Part Three

Death Valley - December 2016 - Part Four

We hope your enjoy following along with our adventure! :)

I haven't followed your personal life, but given your experience it sounds like you could open up a casual business as a guide. I'd love to take a trip with you and share in your knowledge and experiences.

Well, you all have made me jealous once again.

I was curious as to how the different colored pictographs were made. I queried the Internet and found this:

"Paint for rock art was made by mixing ground-up pigments such as hematite, limonite, or charcoal with an organic binder such as blood, animal fat, egg white, fish oil, or plant oil."

Is that how you think the D.V. pictographs were made? I just always assumed they were etched in somehow.

Looking forward to part Dos...

Ski, Another interesting TR. I'm amazed by the beauty of Death Valley. From the reports of last years spring bloom and all of the TR's posted by you and others during 2016, I look forward to making a trip out there in the years to come. Looking forward to the next parts of your trip, Happy New Year to you and the Lady. jd

Very very nice, there's nothing like the sound of nothing to pull us to the wide open spaces. And talk about wide open spaces! One picture of stone looks man made, but maybe it's just my eyes. Common theory has it that horses were not around until the Spanish brought them over but who knows how old those pictographs are or if in fact horses were or weren't on this continent before the European "introduced" them. It's all interesting and exciting to think about. What a great place to explore. Waiting for #2. Thanks for this TR!

ski3pin said:
To celebrate the holidays and the Lady's final winter break from teaching school, we once again continued our exploration of the backcountry of Death Valley. This trip was very special and I am working on our trip story. Part One is now up and posted to our blog and can be found here -

Death Valley - December 2016 - Part One

We hope your enjoy following along with our adventure! :)
Great pics!! My 1st trip to Death Valley was in the early 80s in my old VW bus that barely made it to Dante's view in 1st gear. I have made several trips back there since and have to say it is my favorite place to explore. I picked up Michel Digonnet's "Hiking Death Valley" a few years ago and have found it to be an incredible resource for exploring the area. I've hiked several amazing canyon's and narrows thanks to this guide. If you don't already have it , I highly recommend it.

Neat! I haven't made it as far as Hungry Bill's, but it's on the list if my knees hold out. I'm going to have to go back into that area! Thanks for dragging me along vicariously.

I thought the Airflow was a '37. I'll update my photos to '34.

I hope you're getting the next chapter ready to go, this is a great TR!

What a great encounter with the ram asleep. So nice to see these animals around. We never tire of seeing them on out outings.
That Tarantula sighting must have been a big surprise.
Waiting for next part.
Thanks
Frank

What a thrill with the Bighorn! Such magnificent and interesting animals. Looking forward to the next installment! Thanks for sharing.

Wonderful as always.
I was fortunate to have spent new years and several days thereafter in Saline. The last day I took Lippincott to the Racetrack and down to Furnace Creek. It has been too long since I've explored DV proper.

Back
Top Bottom