Death Valley Rally Jan 17th.

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
After much discussion we have decided to name the date Jan 17th. Thanks to everyone for input and sorry to those that can't make it this time.

Related discussion:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1620

I will need help with camping and locations as I have never been there so suggestions are welcome! (and encouraged).

I deleted the various polls thread now that a time has been decided on.

Hey guys dont post here much (sorry im in the SMB club lol, but LOVE this site) But my buddy said you all were going.

The only advice I can put in is Group Camping anyhwere in the National Park Area requires a permit. Not sure of the max limit but I belive its 8 to 10 vehicals.

Also if you want to stay at any of the Campgrounds in the Valley you need reservations (just to happen people like going there in the winter....wonder why).

Same weekend as the winter fun fest so I'll have to decide which to do. Have to pay soon if I do the fest so it won't be long.

The 17th works for me.MLK holiday is the 19th.I will be staying the rest of that week and plan on doing Warm Springs-Mengel Pass-Barker Ranch-Goller Wash.

I asked Edna for this trip for Christmas! :thumb:

We're intending to hit Big Bend NP on our way out and Palo Duro on our way back.

(If the Good Lord's willin' & the creek don't rise!)

We're in.

We'll probably drive down Friday. Not sure yet whether we will take 395 or 99. Craig (if you go) and other Sacramento area members - want to convoy down?

DD, Furnace Creek is the main campground. Just checked reservations and there are still many sites open that weekend. Another possible is Stovepipe Wells Campground. Advantages are that is first come/first serve, near a store and gas station, and centrally located in the park. Disadvantage is that is a big, ugly gravel flat spot.

Ted

Edit - Or based on DD's arrival date, maybe will drive down Saturday and home Tuesday.

We'll probably drive down Friday. Not sure yet whether we will take 395 or 99. Craig (if you go) and other Sacramento area members - want to convoy down?

DD, Furnace Creek is the main campground. Just checked reservations and there are still many sites open that weekend. Another possible is Stovepipe Wells Campground. Advantages are that is first come/first serve, near a store and gas station, and centrally located in the park. Disadvantage is that is a big, ugly gravel flat spot.

Ted

Ted, would enjoy traveling down in a convoy.. It was my plan to drive down Friday, but am flexible. I have Monday off and can take a couple more days if I feel like staying a bit longer, so will most likely stay at least through Monday and travel home Tues or Wed.

Anyone know dog policies in DV campgrounds? Would like to bring dog along if allowed.

Looking forward meeting everyone and checking out all these great ATC and FWC campers.

Bob

I'm in for the 17th-19th (leaving on the 19th)

Bob, I'm sure like most Nat'l Parks, dogs are ok but on a 6' leash, would prefer to primitive camp so that won't be an issue.

Maybe rendezvous in an established campground for one night and then convoy into the boondocks for camping the following day??? Although being a holiday weekend that may be tough if not impossible to reserve that many sites. Maybe it would be easier to meet at an easliy locatable primitive site???

Just tossin' ideas. Thoughts on how/where to rendezvous?

At least a few days, post rally.

The 17th works for me.MLK holiday is the 19th.I will be staying the rest of that week and plan on doing Warm Springs-Mengel Pass-Barker Ranch-Goller Wash.

I too, plan on the Warm Springs-Mengel Pass trip after the Rally. I've never camped in DV proper, just around the periphery, and I rarely camp in established sites, but one night/following morning as a meeting place sounds good to me.

My thought was since I get fridays off, to head down 395 maybe as far as mono lake after work on thursday. That means I would pretty much have a full friday at DV. I think I'll also see what the boss says about taking monday off. Hopefully we won't be starting to get busy yet. But its early yet. I'm open to changing plans.

Well I went out and got some DV maps yesterday. Guess I"m committed now.

Craig,

Where did you pick up the DV maps in Sacto??

Thanks
Bob

Well...

I was really hoping to go to this, but unfortunately, I screwed up and blew a red light last month that I'll need to be paying for in the near future. Next time though...

Mental note: red light infraction costs $381 + traffic school (in LA) = pay more attention.

We will have to wait until relative last minute to make a decision....unless someone can tell me the how the marine weather will be during that weekend:D

We hope to join in for a couple of days.......

a possible run to the racetrack and in the back way to eureka dunes...wow, dream trip for me...

Eureka dunes:

Attachments

• DSCN1651.jpg
    DSCN1651.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN1658.jpg
    DSCN1658.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 160
Titus Cyn. is pretty much must a do IMHO..perfect for a big group. Very lite off roading (last time through we saw a ford mustang conv. with Hertz tags go by while having lunch), and some beautiful vistas..one way in, one way out..closed after sunset..

Edit: and DD, there are some old mining ruins about half way through!

Titus Cyn. various pics.

Attachments

• DSCN2122.jpg
    DSCN2122.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCN1626.jpg
    DSCN1626.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 169
Advantages are that is first come/first serve, near a store and gas station, and centrally located in the park. Disadvantage is that is a big, ugly gravel flat spot.

Stovepipe wells campground(gravel flat spot):

Attachments

• DSCN2106.jpg
    DSCN2106.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 160
Back
Top Bottom