Decision Made…. Little power help please

Oakleyrossi

Advanced Member
After months of searching the misses finally said, why not just get a new one with all the options “we” need. Done deal! Have begun the planning process and pretty much figured everything out that fits our needs and camping style but the one thing I just can’t wrap my head around it power and power supply. I have read through a ton of great info on here but honestly I think I am more confused now.

So here is what I am trying to figure out. We will have the camper wired for solar both on the roof and for portable. I will end up doing the solar system myself instead of at the factory but not sure in the long run a roof system will make sense as we will be having a box on top for skis and fly rods, at times paddles boards and such as well as most of the time we try to bury ourselves into trees when camping or in snow during the winter. So with that said it seems a portable one would make more sense. By adding say 100 or 150 watt portable system I guess the real question is do I need to add the second battery or not? Not opposed to it but it is an additional 50 pounds and also takes up some more space. We will have the factory 3 way refer, furnace, hot water and most of our additional power needs beyond standard camper use will be powering phones, ipads and camera equipment. We will rarely, if ever, be connected to shore power and likely will never stay in one spot without driving for more than 2 days tops.

If the second battery is needed I have no problem with it, but it is something I think I should get done at the factory as while I feel really handy with any type of building, power and electricity is just confusing to me.

Any feedback or thoughts is appreciated. There is no way I would feel comfortable making this purchase without all the key info I have obtained from the group and reading through all the threads. The place is awesome.
Sorry for the long post

Are you doing a 3-way fridge from FWC, or a top loading fridge/freezer from Engel/ARB etc? That will play a large part due to the draw of the front loading options.

If you are really going with the 3-way fridge, then there is no need for a second battery as the 2-way fridge is the major power hog. Solar panels are cheap if you DIY, so I would reccomend both a roof top and portable panel. The rooftop panel is great because it just works without the need to set anything up, and the portable is useful for the situations you describe above.

Yes. It will be the FWC standard 3-way.

Portable solar is for sure. Still figuring out if rooftop makes sense with our planned set up.

Oakleyrossi said:
Yes. It will be the FWC standard 3-way.

Portable solar is for sure. Still figuring out if rooftop makes sense with our planned set up.
I agree with your doubts re: rooftop with all that stuff up there, plus you mentioned snow, meaning that even if snow free, the angle of the sun will be low, so portable will be more efficient.

You also mentioned being mobile often, as in - moving camp every two days or so, right?

You might have an option then. Go portable with one battery, or get two batteries and beef up the charging system from the truck so you can get high amps for a short duration.

I would definitely do 2 batteries, even if the fridge is running on propane. You listed a fair number of things that will be running or charging off the system and you'll want the extra capacity for times when the sun doesn't make an appearance for a couple days. Along with the portable panel a small panel on the roof might make sense in that it will keep you battery charged when your parked and the camper is sitting idle between trips, no need to plug into shore power.

From your description, a good sized portable (150 watts or so) and two batteries would be my recommendation. Yes, having it done at the factory makes sense, as you would have batteries that are of roughly the same date and initial condition. You probably don't absolutely need it, but if you're in one spot for a long time with limited sun... it just might keep your furnace going

Sounds like a snow rake might be in order, too.

ATC? FWC?

Ok so sounds like 2 batteries is the way to go just to make sure and then look at the options via solar or from the truck to keep them charged. Believe me we have debated the 3 way versus 2 way and have read all the threads on here. Just figure we may spend that additional money elsewhere now and worry about the fridge decision at a later date after assessing performance and hassle.

Looks like we will be going with an FWC although I am going to go back down at speak with ATC this week. They were closed last time I went through Sac. My biggest challenge there is with the wife. She is pretty set on the outside shower and hot water and really was one of her only real requests after using a friends FWC. We do a ton of biking and hiking and getting ourselves and the dog clean is huge priority for her. Me, I could easily do the solar thing.

I actually made an extendable snow broom/rake out of a telescoping ski pole that has worked excellent on our current truck and topper. Just need to figure out the extendable ladder thing to reach the camper top

If you want a more efficient fridge then go with top loading such as ARB, Engel or National Luna, I have plenty of power with just one battery and 150 watt solar panel roof mounted. It is a 105 amp hour battery and I have no furnace. Batteries are heavy. Ron

If you're going to go with a 2 way refer, I strongly recommend a top opening over a front opening. Depending on where you do most of your wandering, a 3 way may also be an option. I had ATC put one in my Bobcat, and can also strap my Engel down in the aisle if needed.

With respect to the outside shower, a bit of water boiled on a stove top, put into a pump sprayer is a lot less money than a water heater. Takes up less room as well. They work nicely. A Zodi is another option.

Regardless, it sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun with your camper. Don't forget photos when you get it!!!

I have 160 Watt solar and two batteries... an isotherm 2 way Fridge (front loading ...we love it...super quiet and does great... we had an Engel top loading ...great but a pain if top is down or if the stuff you want is on the bottom). We use a solar shower. Plan ahead and it works wicked good. ... if not boil some water and add to tap... bingo in the solar shower.... too many fancy things take too much maintenance and time not on fun. go simple ... leave no trace.

I ordered the rooftop solar option with one battery. I already have a portable 75/150 watt setup that I will add if required. I went with the 3 way fridge as well, and a single battery both on the experienced opinion of Gary, the Canadian rep who we ordered our Hawk through. I was planning on going with dual batteries, but he said it was never an issue in all his years of travels. I figure I can easily add a second battery if needed.

Thanks for all the info. So many options which is really something I really appreciate. Guess I will spend some time and talk with the crew at FWC and also see what they think at ATC. I know there is a long wait but hoping to pull the trigger soon and get this going. Especially if FWC is going to have price increases soon.

To be a little bit of a contrarian - we have done just fine with the two way fridge, a single battery and 160 - 240W of solar on the roof. I previously had an ARB type fridge in my last camper, and much prefer the newer Isotherm fridge over the chest style fridge. It is so much easier to get stuff out of and load/unload the isotherm relative to the chest type fridge. It also has a very effective freezer compartment and I don't think the isotherm is that much less efficient than the ARB. For you situation I would consider two batteries or a lithium battery.

I recently purchased a new Hawk with the factory 160 watt solar panel on the roof. I wanted to get a portable solar panel as a supplement for those times when I’m under trees and when the sun is low. I purchased a 90 watt P3solar roll up (only 5 lbs. and fits in a small tube. It doesn’t have its own controller since it will be plugged into the factory outlet on the rear of the camper. If you do ultimately purchase a portable panel check with FWC first. You will want to get a panel that is compatible with the factory controller and of a wattage level that won’t exceed what the built in controller is designed to handle. Personally I would get two batteries (you can never have enough power for those times when you really need it) and a 2 way frig that does not require always being level.

Your decisions make it more important that you can count on getting good charging from your truck alternator when needed. For that reason, specify 2 or 4 gauge wire for the power cables run to the camper from the truck. Along with a good Automatic Charging Relay, you should be in a good position to keep your camper power up even if you start with a single battery and single solar panel.

Paul

You all got me thinking now. Can I mount the panel far enough forward up top that a cargo or rocket box won't cover it? I know it all adds weight to the roof but I figure the box would end of covering some of the panel. I guess have some part of the panel is Better than nothing.

If any of the panel is shaded, it will likely be useless.

Is there a way you could mount the panel on top of the box so it has a clear view of the sky?

Paul

My 2 cents. If you go with a 3 way fridge and a 100ah+ battery and plan on moving every couple of days, I am not sure you even need to add solar. just make sure your alternator and wiring are beefy enough. I have a 3 way fridge, heater, water pump and charge a cell phone or a tablet all on a 55ah battery without solar and never had battery issue. I do move almost every day and never more than every other day. You might want to try a trip or two sans solar first.

cwd

Back
Top Bottom