delete

Thanks for doing the break down on your new truck. I think you made some good decisions.

ramblinChet said:
Dual Alternators Rated at 380 Amps ($295) - This was another low cost option but instead was a rather simple decision. Since my camper will be using one or two 100 Ah batteries that will occasionally be charged by the vehicle I concluded that I would rather have it and need it as opposed to needing it and not having it. Maybe 380 amps is overkill for my application but a factory installed option for $295 is a very low risk expense in my opinion.
If you get lithium batteries and a good DC to DC charge controller this would let you pound the amps in fairly quickly and have charged batteries in no time.

My old Dodge, XC SB, had a 139” wheelbase and IMO that’s the offroad sweet spot for full size trucks. Heck, “double cab longbed” Tacomas/Colorados are at 139”. Agreed on all the extra doo-dads! Although the regular cab wouldn’t work for me (wife & dog, etc) you’ve got a great truck for what you want to do.

RamblinChet first of all welcome to WTW. I’m sure you will find a lot of people to bounce any ideas you may have and we are very helpful if you’d like.

I really appreciate your detailed breakdown and it looks like you got exactly what you wanted. If I was to order another truck I think mine would come out very similar to what you did. Congratulations on a job well done.

Now, what about a camper??? ;-)

BTW, I’m in the Western part of VA should you need any help.

Your reasoning was much the same as I went through in ordering our 2018 regular cab Ram SRW Chassis Cab.

I got the SLT to please the spousal unit bot otherwise basically the same. In the future you can sell the bed, and install a Grandby flatbed which really is heaven on earth!

Best wishes and be safe!

Big congrats for a well thought out acquisition, now realized.
Do you have plans to remove/ replace the front air dam?

Removing the air dam would prevent it from getting torn off or hung up on obstructions on trails, possibly damaging other parts in the process. On most fire road type trails, having it on won't be a problem.

Very, very nice truck, and thanks for the details and pricing. I'm considering a similar build with the 6.4L Hemi engine... only significant difference would be quad cab and 6.5 bed instead of single cab and 8 foot bed (and color). Not really in the market for a truck this year, but the 0% financing for 48 months can't be beat, and has me tempted to upgrade.

John

Time for me to show my cards. I've placed an order for a 3500 4x4 Tradesman CC with the Hemi 6.4 in the 6.5' bed. Thanks to RamblinChet for helping with the specs. We'll be moving our 08 Hawk to the new truck after a few last summer trips with our current Tundra/Hawk setup.

Lighthawk said:
Time for me to show my cards. I've placed an order for a 3500 4x4 Tradesman CC with the Hemi 6.4 in the 6.5' bed. Thanks to RamblinChet for helping with the specs. We'll be moving our 08 Hawk to the new truck after a few last summer trips with our current Tundra/Hawk setup.
Congrats on the new truck! :)

Lighthawk said:
Sounds like you’re getting a great truck, congrats!

Wow. This stuff is way over my head, Chet!
I felt pretty good about replacing my Sprinter antenna this morning, which was half a dozen connections, but all OEM plug & play.
Side note: I'll be listing my 2016 4x4 Sprinter in July to finance the new truck.

I'll have to see how I like my stock headlamps on the RAM I've got coming.
I've reached a stage where I try hard not to do night driving on trips anyway.

I'm pretty sure I won't have stock fog lamps, so will probably need to add those.

ramblinChet said:
What options are you planning for your truck?
Thanks Chet

I still haven't seen the actual truck, but our plans for summer/fall is to equip the RAM to carry our current Hawk camper.
It will be strangely comforting to have our old camper experience on a new, larger truck.

Immediate needs will be installing the wiring for to help keep our Renology 100ah battery juiced up. I need to learn more about DC to DC chargers. We'll also need some forged eyebolts and plates, for the new truck. Relocating the backup camera needs to be done. I'm keen on having it mounted to the truck, so I can switch between camper mounted or running unloaded.

I'll be adding fog lights since the Tradesman skips those, and figure out how they will be switched. We got the auxiliary switch option.
We live in snow country and having lights mounted low makes a difference driving home from town on winter evenings.

Interior will need to be reconfigured to accommodate the dog, occasional grandkids and carrying a pelican box full of camera gear.
Our current 1st gen Tundra has the rear seats removed completely, but I don't plan to do that with the RAM.

Since we still have our current rig, we won't be in a big hurry to get our camper mods done immediately. It will be interesting to do a few shakedown drives though. We ordered mid-April, so I'm not expecting the new truck until May.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and specific mods. I've been combing the RAM forums and soaking it all in.

Thanks Chet

I have been reading about adding fog lights and getting a "sales code" from the dealer.
I did bite the bullet and order an OBDLink MX+ to help out. I've got an error message on my Sprinter, so I'm hoping to get a two-fer.

Thanks for the link on relocating the OEM backup camera. It's a but cheaper than the one I've found, so far:
https://camerasource.com/automotive-cams/dodge-oe-fit/2019-ram-relocation-kit-for-factory-tailgate-camera.html

Yeah, I've joined hdrams.com and have been lurking there.

Once I get the truck in May (assuming parts weren't on the Ever Given!), my first steps will be getting forged eyebolts installed, relocating the camera and possibly that Victron you're looking at.

I haven't done the research on the camper wiring yet. We've got a Renology 100ah battery currently, and the IOTA-30 charger that came with our 2008 Hawk. I bought the dongle for LiPo charging. I've also got 120w panel on the roof and a Morningstar MPPT controller.

My wife's eye's glaze over when I explain to her why I need to spend money on these things, but she loves the camping and exploration!

Keep 'em coming, Chet!
You are doing a service by documenting your build.

Going back to your post about wheel flairs.
Looks like your dealer did the same as mine, with Firestone Transforce AT tires.
My build was ordered to include the OWL off road tires. :(

I went to my dealership in Auburn, CA and inspected my new RAM 3500 crewcab this week. It's a great truck.
Everything seemed to match my expectations, but the tires. For complicated reasons, I can't wrap up my
purchase until a home refi closes escrow, so it was only a visit, and I didn't take my shiny (soon not to be) truck home.

The tires are E rated, but have rather poor reviews. I'm used to BFG AT tires, so I'm not expecting much from these
alternates.

Meanwhile! The Tunda/Hawk is being loaded tonight for another local adventure!! :D
Birding and scouting for spring porchini is on the docket.

Really appreciate this post! Thanks for sharing - very useful for me, as I consider upgrading from F150, 5.5' box to 1-ton, 8' box, crew cab.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom