Discount Tire?

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I'm getting ready to put new tires on my F350, I'm looking at Cooper Discoverer A/T3 size LT275/65R20. I like to shop in my home community, but the quote my local dealer is $128 higher than Discount Tire on a per tire basis, so a bit more than $500 for all 4 tires.

That is a significant figure. Does anyone have experience with Discount Tire?

I will buy from them on-line, then take the tires to a Local Discount Tire for mounting and balancing. If you show you bought them from the On-line site, they charge the lower rate as if you bought them there at the store. So far for me it's worked out well.

The stores themselves are like any other tire place, try to up sell everything, may or may not have what you want in stock. Really depends on the people there. Haven't had any problems or issues with their installs

If it's the same "Discount Tire" as the store in Bend (formerly 'America's Tire')...I've bought tires (BFG) for my truck and snow tires (Michelin) for my car there. All good.

BIg O Tires will have a $100 discount sale starting May 1 on all Big O brand purchases. I will get my FWC then and plan to get the one made by cooper. Big O sales manager here told me it is an E rated tire and is the same as the AT3 but with a slightly different tread pattern. Big O has a 2 year unconditional warranty on any defect, including flats.

I've had nothing but positive experiences at my local Discount Tire. I've been buying tires there for over 12 years. Now my trucks, wife's car, sons' trucks and cars, and mother's car are all on Discount Tire rubber. One set of Goodyears on mother's car wore badly and got very loud (AS tread pattern) as they wore down. When those Goodyears were 3 years old, and with 8/32nds of tread depth remaining, they were ridiculously loud. I took her car to the Discount Tire store, the rep drove it, said "you weren't kidding, were you?", and offered her a credit for 70% of the original price towards any replacements she wanted. That was 5 years ago and the Michelins she got then are still going strong.

I like the idea of the road hazard replacement being honored at all Discount Tire stores nationwide. Lotsa comfort for a sometimes cross-country wanderer.

Foy

I use them for all my vehicles. Sometimes you can even negotiate with them if you can find the tires cheaper.

We've had nothing but excellent service from Discount, both when we buy tires from them and when we bring in tires we've been comped by sponsors or are testing. Same courteous reception.

I just remembered -- a specific experience I had to recommend Discount Tire's service/policies:

When I destroyed my truck tire with a side-wall cut 3½ years ago, as described in Rubber vs Rock, they honored the road-hazard warranty -- surprising since it didn't happen on the road, and it was my fault, and I told them the circumstances -- and I got a new tire with the price discounted by the proportion of original tread left on the dead tire.
I was happy.

(Note: In my follow-up post I referred to "America's Tire" -- at the time that's what Discount Tire was called)

I've bought numerous tires from Discount over the years, and they've all served me very well. My recent decision to shop for tires elsewhere in the future really has nothing to do with the quality of their products or anything with the way the company is managed, just more to do with the general character and mindset of the owners. Bruce Halle is said to be the richest person in my state of AZ, with the political influence that comes with that distinction. If considerations like this are important in your shopping selections, you might want to google for some additional details. My intention is not to stir the pot, only to illuminate, so thanks in advance for not shooting the messenger, heh heh.
Rico

Both my husband and I have been buying tires from Discount Tire for a long time. Very happy with their service, and with the tires for my truck (BFG All Terrain KO).

Might want to check out Sears.

I just last week purchased four Cooper A/T3s, LT265/70R17E 121/118S. Sears has an online sale going and you can have them shipped to a local Sears. I took the online price into Sears and the salesman said he would match the price, looked into it more and did one better, buy 3 get 1 free. Bottom line: I got 4 tires, mounted and balanced, TPMS rebuild, alignment, and sales tax for $735. When I get my rebate back, I'll have 4 new tires on my truck for $164.27 each (Cooper has a $70 rebate on this tire and I get 1% back from my credit card).

Discount Tire quoted me $771.30 for four tires, mounted and balanced (TPMS maintenance $20/4, didn't ask about alignment).

jim

I had a GREAT experience with Discount Tire. So much so, that I wrote them the following letter of appreciation:

October 8, 2014

Shane Murray
Reno, NV 89521

Discount Tire
Corporate Headquarters
Customer Service
20225 N. Scottsdale Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

Dear Sir or Madam,

I wanted to take a few minutes to tell you about the EXCELLENT customer service I received from store manager Mike McFarland and Andrew Vargo, last week while purchasing a new set of Cooper AT/3’s at your store at 7450 S. Virginia St, Reno, NV.

I was upgrading to E-rated tires and I told Andrew that I wanted to take my old tires with me as they were still in very good condition.

On October 4, 2014, I had my new tires installed and they loaded my old tires for me. When I got home, I realized that two of my old tires were damaged beyond repair by the tire machine. I called Andrew and I was fully expecting a lot of push back and hassle in getting the situation rectified, however, I was pleasantly surprised when Mike advised that he would give me four new tires of comparable quality, free of charge and no questions asked.

On October 7, 2014, I met with Andrew and he took care of the situation in less than 10 minutes.

I just want to let you know that you have two very excellent employees in Mike and Andrew and Discount Tire will have ALL of my future business. Additionally, I will recommend Discount Tire to anyone who cares to listen to me in the future.

As evidenced by this letter, I believe in writing to the appropriate people whenever I receive either good or bad service and this letter was my privilege to write. I’ll also post positive reviews of my experience with Discount Tire to all of my social media outlets.

Keep up the great work,

Shane Murray
Reno, NV

cc: Discount Tire, Nevada Regional Office
Discount Tire, Reno Store, 7450 S. Virginia, Reno, NV

Ditto on previous comments. Have bought at least ten sets of tires and have always been very satisfied. I generally
shop the internet for the best price and then have Discount Tires/American meet or beat the price which they have always done.

I talked to my local guys, and although they can't beat the price that discount offers, they came down enough to keep me shopping local.

Thanks all for your feedback!!

Discount Tire = America's Tire Company which is my local tire store.

I am as frugal as anyone and I haven't been able to beat their price on tires, for my former Ford Truck, my current Ford, my former Trailer, My former LandCruiser, my Former Jeep. You get the idea.

When I first bought tires for the Landcruiser they encouraged me to buy the optional tire certificate. I told them how I used the vehicle and they said it didn't matter how I destroyed a tire, all I needed to do was buy a new certificate with the new, free tire if I destroyed one.
I bought five tires, they replaced eight more over the time I owned that truck, each replacement costing me the price of a tire certificate. I was surprised, but pleased, that through the years they kept honoring that warranty.

I will add my 2 cents about Americas Tire. I have now bought 5 or 6 sets of tires for various vehicles from them and I go back not for the price (which is always among the lowest) but for the service. Rotation at 5-6k miles...free. Stepson shreds a nearly new tire ( don't want to know how that happened)...replaced. Disappointed with the high wear/low mileage on a set of Michelins (2010 Suburban)...they checked their website and were able to get a discount that I then used on a different brand. They always check for mfg rebates and discounts. The only regret is that they don't do alignments like some other shops. I'm going to assume that I would receive the same service if I bought from Discount Tire.

I've also bought tires from Discount Tire for many years and many locations. Never had an issue.
I always check their on line prices as well as Costco prices to get the best deal.
They've never failed to match another quote I've gotten from competitors.

Back
Top Bottom