Dodge 3/4t tires-ToyoM55 or BFG KO2

I have a year on my ST Maxx's and about 16,000 miles and been very pleased with them so far. I replaced a set of AT/3's that were pushing 50,000 miles but with a White Rim trip and a Toroweap visit going on decided I wanted to be on the front side of the tread curve rather than the backend.

The ST Maxx's are noisier than the AT/3 and heavier but really haven't noticed a significant mpg hit. I like having a three layer sidewall and I do air them down to around 30 pounds or so when I'm going to be running on dirt, could no doubt lower them further but so far haven't felt the need. On the highway I run them at about 65psi all the way around.

HTH.

Oh yeah, the bridgestone duelers are great in the snow. After 20k they were worn out though.

All great information, thanks...

Today I looked at Toyo Open Country A/T II and Cooper Discovery A/T3 and noted that they both have 2 ply sidewalls. I want a 3 ply sidewall...

So I have swayed my focus upon the Cooper Discovery S/T MAXX. They have a 3 ply sidewall, have reports that they are good in gravel/rock bruising, handles well in mud and snow. They do have the raised snow flake rating. A heavier tire that is a cross between a mud and all terrain. They have a 18.5/32 tread depth.

Size I settled upon 285/70/R17 over stock 265/65/R17 that is wider and is 1 inch taller. Dealer can only adjust diameter 1/2 inch over stock in the computer. That will help support more load at a lower air pressure.

That might be better than the Toyo M-55 for me.

^ Good deal !

Hadn't heard about the 2 ply so I checked my AT2s:

rZNe1vp.jpg

Made in the states but sold in the GWN :)

But they are an "Extreme Size", LOL, so who knows ...

Like a lot of things I think people can have different experiences with the same product. With tires a lot can depend on vehicle weight, road surface, driving style etc. You're doing your research so be happy with what you choose, it's all good !

FWIW: I have a 1993 Dodge Diesel ClubCab 4WD 3/4 ton which I use to carry our 2007 FWC Keystone.

I use Michelin LTX M/S 235/16 tires from Costco. In August I bought the newer Defender LTX version to replace my old LTX tires. They are quiet and my truck handles well with them. Tread is sufficient for snow, dirt and light to moderate mud & sand.

Realistically I drive >80% of the time on pavement so I would rather get long life for the money. I carry chains but rarely have needed them. I ski at Mammoth every year so have used these in snow and on ice. I have found that most of my off pavement driving is on graded dirt roads and only very rarely or dirt tracks or mud or sand.

My camper is not on full time. Most of the time I have the bed cap on. Camper only goes on for trips (we probably cover 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year on our trips).

I have been getting >60,000 miles out of these tires. I am on my third set.

Craig

I am on my second set of Coopers on a Tacoma with Eagle camper. First set went 55k miles. They work great in sand and snow and are pretty quiet on the highway.

klahanie said:
^ Good deal !

Hadn't heard about the 2 ply so I checked my AT2s:

rZNe1vp.jpg

Made in the states but sold in the GWN :)

But they are an "Extreme Size", LOL, so who knows ...

Like a lot of things I think people can have different experiences with the same product. With tires a lot can depend on vehicle weight, road surface, driving style etc. You're doing your research so be happy with what you choose, it's all good !
Thanks for the image... you just can't trust the salesperson at the counter. and we were talking "E" rated tires not "P". Just have to look at the tire for yourself to know. The internet manufactures web pages will not give detail for tire size as to what sidewall ply it has.

The Coopers are great for "all around" with light offroading...They're light, strong and quiet. Toyos are great if you're gonna hit more trails, sharp rocks,....they're heavy and bombproof and suck 1-2 extra mpg, especially the M55 and M/Ts. The best tires to depend on are the M/Ts and 55s that said I've switched to the R/Ts from the M/Ts and am very happy with long distance driving with piece of mind in questionable terrain.

FWIW, I am about to 're-shoe' my rig in preparation for FWC installation. I have selected Toyo AT2 LT285/60R20 (20 inch wheels on my stock rig, this is the stock size, 125/122R); these tires are in the Toyo 'Extreme' size series, which includes deeper tread depth and a three-ply sidewall. Problem is that they fetch about $325 or so each! :oops: Yes, they are heavy, but there's a lot of rubber on that sidewall. I also looked hard at Nitto (Dura Grappler & Terra Grappler G2), Goodyear (Adventure Kevlar), Cooper (AT3, ST Maxx) and Toyo RT.

Back
Top Bottom