Does anyone truthfully have airbags that don't leak?

verynice

Over the past decade I've had four sets of airbags from hellwig or pacbrake and they've always leaked whether I've used "quick connect" fittings, ferrule style fittings, short hoses, long hoses, slime....Once a weak check and add on every set I've had. Trying to find a slow leaks on my current "big wig" bags again and thinking of just buying the compressor kit for them. Was just curious if everyone has this problem. Or, have found a solution?

I've had mine Ride Rite bags on for 2+ years now. I only top them up with air every couple of months and I daily drive the vehicle. I did the install myself. I was extremely careful to make straight cuts and use a brand new blade, when doing the install. I tested for leaks with soapy water.

I ran individual lines for my airbags. I'm comfortable saying mine do not leak.

Hope that helps.

Yes! I've have a set of Carli long travel airbags on my Dodge for over six years and they have yet to leak any air. Expensive but worth every penny.

I have Ride Rite air bags also. I replaced the push on fittings with commercial screw connections sealed with teflon tape to make sure they were protected against rocks and sticks on forrest service roads and over two years have no leaks. Previous truck over 6 years over very rough roads and 1 ton loads with the same type of hoses and connections with no leaks.

I ran individual lines also because I use the bags to level camper occasionally. I am not familiar with the airbags you are using, but with mine if the screw on connections are sealed correctly with teflon tape the bags just do not leak. I use the same connections on my compressor at much higher pressure and no leaks there either. I would suggest you get a spray bottle of soapy water and spray it on to your fittings so you can find where you might need to repair a leak. Bubbles clearly show where the leak is.

Bill D said:
I've had mine Ride Rite bags on for 2+ years now. I only top them up with air every couple of months and I daily drive the vehicle. I did the install myself. I was extremely careful to make straight cuts and use a brand new blade, when doing the install. I tested for leaks with soapy water.

I ran individual lines for my airbags. I'm comfortable saying mine do not leak.

Hope that helps.
Ditto, except been on only a year, and used continuously 7 months of that.,with camper on and off Five times. Use 70 lbs with camper on, 30 lbs off

O.K., I never have used tape because I've trusted the coating that comes on the pipe thread fittings. Ill try taping the airbag fittings and holdem underwater. thanks

I set mine at 30 psi 7 months ago and they haven't leaked. Before that I had them at 45 psi when I had a FWC and they never leaked then either.

The tape seems to have worked for a few days now, hasn't dropped whatsoever. 20lbs. dead on. On a seperate note, next to the ride of the Carli long travel bags(my buddy has a set) these big wigs are the best riding of any I've used. They only need about half the pressure of the smaller ones and give a little more down travel. A good compromise between the Carli's and traditionals- http://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/big-wig/big-wig-air/

I noticed some surface cracking on the lower edge of my bags they are 13 yrs old but still hold air well Is it time to replace?

As a result of this thread I check my Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags - They were leaking. Turns out the leak was from the schrader valve. My Air Bags are 5 years old and have been through hell and back. My Truck camper does lots of rough roads and 4x4.

*** Further I saw on the Ride Rite Web Site that the bags only have a 4-5 year life.

Carli's here.
I've only in the last year had slight leakage. I need to get under there with the bubbles.
With the fullsize vehicles,the Carli's enable way more articulation.
I've had them since they were first offered.15# dry camper,maybe 30# loaded.
King shocks and minipaks out back and Kore coils in front.

2tallDA said:
Carli's here.
I've only in the last year had slight leakage. I need to get under there with the bubbles.
With the fullsize vehicles,the Carli's enable way more articulation.
I've had them since they were first offered.15# dry camper,maybe 30# loaded.
King shocks and minipaks out back and Kore coils in front.
Thanks, DAVE.

I have owned both and never had any trouble with the ride rites..... the air lifts have been a lot of trouble and no matter what I did they still leaked... I am a patient man but ...... I will stay with Ride Rites from now on

Ride rites for 12 years....the passenger side leaks if I don't load it up over 60 pounds...I've put up with it....but it still drives me a little crazy...I'm toying with an onboard compressor..at this point anything to make life a little easier...on the way to fishing :D

Rusty, on board compressor is great for leveling at camping spaces. You can check with soapy water, but I would bet that if you replaced those slip on connections with a real commercial air hose and fittings you will get entirely rid of the leak. I have been using air bags for over 15 years and have learned that Ride Rites seldom leak, but the fittings and connections sure do.

I've had that in the back of my mind for a long time....the project falls to the bottom of the list regularly....

It'll be easier to get done now that I'm retired

AirLift 5000 Ultimates on my F-350; a daily driver with the camper in the bed 24/7/365.

I lose < 10 psi every 60 days.

Cutting the poly tube squarely is essential to a minimal/leak free air bag.

O.K., I think I learned something this last week :oops: . I usually run my bags at 18lbs. and have had a continual very slow loss of air since new even after re-doing all air lines-....helped but lost a lb. over a week or so. So 2 weeks ago I said f@#k it and maxed them out with air plus some..90lbs then lowered them back down to my 18lbs and have not lost a puff of air since. All I can think is that they needed "set" almost like bearings for the schrader valve and quick connects to seat correctly....dunno, but it seems to have worked...

Back
Top Bottom